House Price Crash Forum

Joey Barton Has His Home Taken Over By Squatters

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

There are a few things that give me a big "da fuq" sensation and squatting is one of those things that I JUST DON'T understand how it can be allowed. It's just not ....on.

It's not allowed.

Squatting in someone's home is illegal. The only exception is if the property is genuinely uninhabited (e.g. a rental property where there is no existing tenant, and no active or pending new tenancy agreement), or a home where the owner is living permanently elsewhere.

If I went on holiday for a month, then squatters simply could not take up residence in my home, as technically, it is "occupied" by me.

The problem is that the police don't want to get involved, as most squatters do actually only occupy genuinely vacant properties (e.g. properties which for some reason have not been let - e.g. repos managed by incompetent property managers), where such occupation is not illegal (as long as no break-in has occurred), and not a police matter.

It is frequent for police to be unaware of the law, and to refuse to act where people have broken into an occupied home.