98 replies to this topic

#1 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,081 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Food banks use increasing (R4 story about man who walks 3.5 hours to work every day - does a 16 hour week - only job he can find) but food bank keeps him going.
Other people who say they go a couple of days without food to feed their kids.

I would love to have a look at their shopping baskets.

BBC breakfast - debt counselling increasingly for over 55s.

In 2 years 48% of people with serious debt problems with be over 45.

(If that's not a bloxy madeup stat I don't know what is)

Average unsecured debt £21k ish.
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#2 Ascii

Ascii

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

+1

fail to see how people spend £100+ per week for food.There was somthing on the box a few days back I was informed of regarding a family that was spending £900 a month on food shopping. Unbelievable.

Bloxy?

#3 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,081 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

+1

fail to see how people spend £100+ per week for food.There was somthing on the box a few days back I was informed of regarding a family that was spending £900 a month on food shopping. Unbelievable.

Bloxy?

If I type boll ocksy it might block it
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#4 TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,450 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

But still people are paying £200K+ for a tiny house

#5 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

+1

Bloxy?

Was it a family of 20?

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#6 Wurzel Of Highbridge

Wurzel Of Highbridge

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  • About Me:What I find I keep.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

I guess if you can only afford a bedsit or are placed in temporary accommodation aka hotel, then your food bill will be much higher than someone who has cooking facilities.
  • I don't believe that there can be sustainable asset inflation when there is underlying wage deflation.
  • No matter what you choose to do in life, choose to do what you are best at and be the best you can be.
  • Everyone is a vested interest and everything is rigged.
  • Sometimes bubble dynamics just end, people stop believing and what was once a virtuous cycle suddenly morphs into vicious one.
  • The real value goes beyond the money.

I have come to realize that there is widespread belief in a 2015 global recovery.At this point in June 2013 is clear that there will be no recovery in 2015, central bankers have run out of tools to patch over the structural problems and the can can no longer be kicked.As we approach 2015 it will be clear that the emperor has no clothes and there will be an economic crash that makes 2009 look trivial.Note: I was wrong on 2nd May 2012 12:00 - London Top called prediction of London will fall by >10% in 12 months.

#7 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

They have become addicted to food by carefully engineered junk food, that creates hunger and provides virtually no nutrition. The latest mutations of genetically engineered wheat is one particular appetite stimulant. God you got to love agri-capitalism.

And I suspect the Food banks are fully of supermarket junk. Speaking to my unemployed Indonesian "friend" on Facebook, he still gets three meals a day, mainly rice, but importantly plenty of fish. There is no state support at all.

Edited by "Steed", 14 March 2012 - 10:25 AM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#8 Lagarde's Drift

Lagarde's Drift

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

And I suspect the Food banks are fully of supermarket junk. Speaking to my unemployed Indonesian "friend" on Facebook, he still gets three meals a day, mainly rice, but importantly plenty of fish. There is no state support at all.

I'd much rather live here than there. There is still access to fresh good food at decent prices here. There is a demand for it - we all know it, and the market will provide it.

Ask your "friend" what happens if he breaks his leg in a scooter crash? The state might put it in a plaster, but who will take care of him then? There's a reason why Indons went mental during the race riots in (?) the 1990s. Poverty and inequality, always the same wherever you look.

#9 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,404 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

I guess if you can only afford a bedsit or are placed in temporary accommodation aka hotel, then your food bill will be much higher than someone who has cooking facilities.

Good point but that could be easily changed.....share the oven space, bulk cook meals divide and freeze with name date and contents on.

One thing I have noticed when the large supermarkets advertise so called reduced prices is that much of the items they offer are branded, processed, high sugar, fat and salt products and convenience ready to eat or microwave warm up foods and fizzy teeth rot drinks.

Also most take-ways, quick fill a gap food are only offering fattening greasy, instant gratification unhealthy foods. yuck. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#10 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'd much rather live here than there. There is still access to fresh good food at decent prices here. There is a demand for it - we all know it, and the market will provide it.

Ask your "friend" what happens if he breaks his leg in a scooter crash? The state might put it in a plaster, but who will take care of him then? There's a reason why Indons went mental during the race riots in (?) the 1990s. Poverty and inequality, always the same wherever you look.

Oh I would rather live here than there too. Not only does he have to support himself but also his parents, so those on here who think they are hard done by the "boomers" should tell it to the Indonesians.

However he and his friends are thinner than a butchers pencil, have not (yet) been forced into the Tesco distopian world of high cost and unhealthy Western diet. Well not entirely, so much less likely to get ill (I'd have thought).

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#11 Austin Allegro

Austin Allegro

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Food banks use increasing (R4 story about man who walks 3.5 hours to work every day - does a 16 hour week - only job he can find) but food bank keeps him going.

Yes. It's absolute rubbish. If they really can't afford food, I suspect it's because they a. can't budget and b. think that 'food' is huge expensive branded boxes of junk, big bottles of fizzy pop etc. 5 kg of potatoes costs about £1.50 and carrots and cabbage cost virtually nothing. If the BBC must pump out propaganda I wish they'd do it with menu plans and cheap healthy eating.
Why treat those who call themselves atheists as enemies? Why not simply say to them: ‘We have no quarrel. The “God” whose existence you deny you do well to deny. It is an object among other objects and I deny it also. The necessary ground of all rational thought, on which you and I both depend to make sensible statements, that is what I mean by God.’ Rev Anthony Freeman

#12 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

It's OK the kitchens at the aircraft hangers will feed them.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#13 Game_Over

Game_Over

I live on HPC!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Why is it that most of the people who say they can't afford to eat

All look as if they could go on hunger strike for a month and still be overweight?

:blink:

#14 Game_Over

Game_Over

I live on HPC!

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Watched a program on the box the other day about a family who were struggling financially and needed to cut their food bill which was astronomical.

The guy was on the verge of crying when they suggested he buy own brands instead of branded products

but when they made him a meal he couldn't tell the difference.

Anything that had been opened or partially used went straight in the bin every week

just what they threw away would have fed a family of five.

#15 Ascii

Ascii

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Watched a program on the box the other day about a family who were struggling financially and needed to cut their food bill which was astronomical.

The guy was on the verge of crying when they suggested he buy own brands instead of branded products

but when they made him a meal he couldn't tell the difference.

Anything that had been opened or partially used went straight in the bin every week

just what they threw away would have fed a family of five.

That was the program I was referring to in post 2. It always seems quite easy to to provide decent food on a budget but I guess we never did processed when I was a kid. A sack of spuds and a sack of onions will set you back less than a tenner, will last a month, and is the basis for a lot of other meals. At a pinch you could eat them on their own though it would be a bit dull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users