House Price Crash Forum

The Silver Stage Has Been Set For Grand Performance In 2012

HOLA441

Silver is the most electrically conductive of all elements and has the highest thermal conductivity of any metal. Its atomic number is 47.

Silver has long been valued as a precious metal, and it is used to make ornaments, jewelry, high-value tableware, utensils (hence the term silverware), and currency coins (the only country today that still uses silver coins in circulation is Mexico, while the US ceased using silver as currency in 1965, though several more coins with lesser silver content were produced until 1969). The US mint began producing silver bullion coins in 1986 and silver proof versions of the half-dollar, quarter and dime (along with conventional metal dollars, nickels and pennies) in 1992 and continues to make the silver bullion and silver proof versions of currency today.

Today, silver metal is also used in electrical contacts and conductors, in mirrors and in catalysis of chemical reactions. Its compounds are used in photographic film, and dilute silver nitrate solutions and other silver compounds are used as disinfectants and microbiocides. While many medical antimicrobial uses of silver have been supplanted by antibiotics, further research into clinical potential continues.

Much of the two previous paragraphs was gathered from Wikipedia.org under silver and credit is hereby given.

SILVER AS CURRENCY

One of the earliest known uses of silver as currency was as used in Electrum, a gold-silver alloy utilized by the Lydians (which would now be part of Turkey) in 700BC. The British currency, pound sterling, reflects the fact that it originally represented the value of one pound of silver. Similarly the French Livre has a similar etymology while plata in Spanish means both silver and money.

The earliest silver US coin was the flowing hair dollar in 1794. Although silver coins had been accepted as currency in the colonies at least 40 years earlier as the Spanish eight reale also called “pieces of eight.”

MODERN SILVER PRICE ACTION

The Hunt bothers, Nelson Bunker and William Herbert borrowed a great deal of money in addition to their substantial fortune in 1980 in an attempt to corner the market in silver. They succeeded in driving the price to $49.45 per ounce but ended up losing a fortune in their attempt. Considering the effect of inflation, that peak equates to somewhere between $137 and $150 per ounce today. That peak (on an absolute basis) was surpassed on April 25, 2011 when cash silver reached $49.752 per ounce.

CURRENT PRICE OUTLOOK

Since then silver has failed to continue the preceding sharp uptrend and reached a relative low of $26.046 on September 26, 2011. Little more than three months later on December 29, 2011 the price bounced from $26.151. Since this was not a major bottom but rather a bounce off support in a secondary reaction, thus it was not a double bottom, but a spectacular trade opportunity nonetheless. Within two months to the day (2/29/12), silver topped out at $37.430.

The price action since the new high in April of 2011 has formed a flag. The base of that flag is the rally that began in December of 2008 at a price near $11. The bottom of the flag is about $33. Thus the anticipated breakout outside the top of the flag is $33-$11 or $22. Assuming we breakout of the top of the flag at a price of $38, that anticipates a move to $60. Since this pattern has been forming for 3-1/4 years it would not be surprising for it to take a like period to make the anticipated price target.

The most recent price run-up was the move from $26.151 on December 29, 2011 to $37.43 on February 29, 2012. Many traders tout Fibonacci retracements as trading strategies and the most reliable of those retracements is 50%. There is a book that has been written regarding trading 50% retracements and it is titled, “The Trading Rule That Can Make You Rich“, by Edward D. Dobson © 1979 Trader’s Press, Inc.® The 50% retracement that results from those two points is $31.79. This perceived bounce could occur at any time.

http://news.gnom.es/

HOLA442

here's a long term scenario for you....

Say Silver is being manipulated to keep the price reasonable as it is so useful for industrial purposes.

Say Oil runs out/becomes economically pointless to extract in 10-20 years.

No Oil no industry as we know it, which means the end of current society back into a more nineteenth century feudal system

Silver is no longer required as a currency however as it is too easy to forge, shiny metals abound

And there is no modern industrial demand as we are back in the dark ages

A bit Mad Max I know, but I also know THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE TO OIL!

P

HOLA443

Say Silver is being manipulated to keep the price reasonable as it is so useful for industrial purposes.

No Oil no industry as we know it, which means the end of current society back into a more nineteenth century feudal system

Silver is no longer required as a currency however as it is too easy to forge, shiny metals abound

P

I think the key point for people is to invest your money right now in something REAL.Because it's no good having your money in the bank. They are printing money and the Inflation is reducing your purchasing power. Gold throughout history has always been Money and had Value. Silver however is like a Poor mans Gold.

Edited by Asheron

HOLA444

I think the key point for people is to invest your money right now in something REAL.Because it's no good having your money in the bank. They are printing money and the Inflation is reducing your purchasing power. Gold throughout history has always been Money and had Value. Silver however is like a Poor mans Gold.

Get it right!

"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."

— Norm Franz

HOLA445

P

Good except the oil is not running out,

The PAYMENT for oil

Is running out, like it did on the 70s

When this PAYMENT problem is resolved oil will flow for the right price once again.

HOLA446

P

When the oil runs out, what would be better in your hand, £100 in £20 notes, or £100 in Silver?

HOLA447

Good except the oil is not running out,

The PAYMENT for oil

Is running out, like it did on the 70s

When this PAYMENT problem is resolved oil will flow for the right price once again.

The Oil is 'not' running out?

It's a finite resource how can it not be running out, its just a matter of timescales

HOLA448
HOLA449

I want to pick up a few bars of silver using cash from a reputable dealer in london - any reccomendations? Dont want to do it online for privacy reasons... As someone who doesnt know much about silver, im concerned about the possibility of being scammed, hence seeking advice on some trusted dealers.

Thanks

HOLA4410

I want to pick up a few bars of silver using cash from a reputable dealer in london - any reccomendations? Dont want to do it online for privacy reasons... As someone who doesnt know much about silver, im concerned about the possibility of being scammed, hence seeking advice on some trusted dealers.

Thanks

Never used them but I see them advertised in association with the Olypics. http://www.scoinshop.com

The Scoin Shop - Westfield

Westfield Shopping Mall

London, W12 7GG

Westfield Stratford City Shopping Centre

Stratford, E20 1EJ

If you don't know much about silver I would recommend buying bullion coins such as the Britannia and Eagle etc. You will pay a slight premium but they are difficult to fake.

I don't live in London but try www.yell.com. Type in Coin and Medal Dealers in London. Phone a couple up and ask if they sell Silver Bullion.

HOLA4411

The Oil is 'not' running out?

It's a finite resource how can it not be running out, its just a matter of timescales

http://m.cbsnews.com/postwatch.rbml?pageType=video&cbsID=4653109

And the timescale for oil running out is a few decades, maybe more

The timescale for the payment of oil , to expire .. is getting closer by the day. As you can tell.

Edited by Crashman Begins

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Thanks

There is Baird & Co. a bullion dealer based in London, who are the biggest P.M. refiner in the U.K.. They are a highly reputable company. I have used them for the last 6 years and I have never once had any problems. They sell their own minted bars and rounds, they also sell offer makers bars and coins. I would give them a call first and then go and collect. If your transaction is above £5,000 or £10,000 in a year they are obliged by law to retain on record a copy of your I.D. If you remain below these limits and pay cash your privacy is kept.

http://www.goldline.co.uk/

They are not in London, but there is also the Guernsey Mint, tax free silver, but you would have to go there and you are liable for the UK VAT on your return/import. Again a long standing and reputable company. They do have a wider selection of bars in stock from well known Swiss or German refiners.

http://www.guernseymint.com/

Also for UK residents, it is worth considering buying the British silver Britannia coins, as they are exempt from UK capital gains tax (CGT) as theyare coinage with a face value of £2.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

About 20g of Silver in the average sized Solar Panel

Edited by Asheron

HOLA4416

Agreed ref Bairds and Guernsey Mint. Both excellent.

I think silver will run out before oil. There are immense tar sands and oil shales waiting for the price to go up enough to make it worth extracting. The trouble with silver, unlike gold, is that it is consumed by industry, and less and less is recycled each year. The silver market, unlike oil, is tiny, absolutely minute. The uses of silver are legion, and growing. Nothing acts as well as a bactericide, heat conductor, light reflector; every tap on an oxygen cylinder MUST have bearings made of silver.

And then there's the Chinese, all of whom understand far better than westerners, that silver is an investment metal. The Chinese could take every ounce of silver off the market tomorrow, if they wanted to.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4417

There is Baird & Co. a bullion dealer based in London, who are the biggest P.M. refiner in the U.K.. They are a highly reputable company. I have used them for the last 6 years and I have never once had any problems. They sell their own minted bars and rounds, they also sell offer makers bars and coins. I would give them a call first and then go and collect. If your transaction is above £5,000 or £10,000 in a year they are obliged by law to retain on record a copy of your I.D. If you remain below these limits and pay cash your privacy is kept.

They are not in London, but there is also the Guernsey Mint, tax free silver, but you would have to go there and you are liable for the UK VAT on your return/import. Again a long standing and reputable company. They do have a wider selection of bars in stock from well known Swiss or German refiners.

Also for UK residents, it is worth considering buying the British silver Britannia coins, as they are exempt from UK capital gains tax (CGT) as theyare coinage with a face value of £2.

HOLA4418

Thanks for the info i used the Guernsey Mint and had my silver bullion stored at their third party storage company, saving myself the 20% VAT.

And will be purchasing again because i am very happy with the service but i might take a trip over to Guernsey just to make sure!

HOLA4419

Thanks for the info i used the Guernsey Mint and had my silver bullion stored at their third party storage company, saving myself the 20% VAT.

And will be purchasing again because i am very happy with the service but i might take a trip over to Guernsey just to make sure!

Bruce is a very fine chap, great bloke, very approachable. If you do go there, ask if he would mind if your spouse takes a picture of you holding the kilo gold bar in his shop display. You might have to let him hold your wallet or passport while you do so, but it's worth it.

Unless, of course, that's what you are going over to purchase...