3 replies to this topic

#1 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,825 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Never been to any political gathering before, and i live just up the road in St Neots, i decided to go to a UKIP public meeting at St Ives the other night.

Some observations

-Managed to fill a large sports hall sized venue. I thought id be the only one to bother to turn up. About 2/3rds of the people attending were (like myself) simply members of the public/not party members.
-Most talk was about anecdotal destructive EU regulation. Fair enough there.
-Tory defector Roger Helmer (who sounds like he stole Ken Clarkes vocal cords) doesnt like wind farms, thinks they are ugly, even mentioned the dreaded "harming our house prices"

I guess i was a bit dissapointed. They seem to be carbon copies of the tory party but with the pull out of the EU bit. Given their website says 'libertarian' i was hoping for something a bit more non-mainstream. Their manifesto even mentioned banking problems (more than the liblabcon ones bothered to do) but unforunately like that Lord Rannoch admitted 2 years back, none of them seem to have bothered reading their own manifesto.

Opposition to windfarms i agree with on the basis that they need govt subsidies, not on the subjective basis they 'are ugly' Thats not libertarian.

Also the gay marriage thing. A libertarian would surely say its a matter for the separation of church and state, but they seem preoccupied with capturing the christian tory vote, so banged on about that for a while.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2379932059ea3cb20dbeb7b26a560074.jpg 

#2 dragonfly

dragonfly

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Never been to any political gathering before, and i live just up the road in St Neots, i decided to go to a UKIP public meeting at St Ives the other night.

Some observations

-Managed to fill a large sports hall sized venue. I thought id be the only one to bother to turn up. About 2/3rds of the people attending were (like myself) simply members of the public/not party members.
-Most talk was about anecdotal destructive EU regulation. Fair enough there.
-Tory defector Roger Helmer (who sounds like he stole Ken Clarkes vocal cords) doesnt like wind farms, thinks they are ugly, even mentioned the dreaded "harming our house prices"

I guess i was a bit dissapointed. They seem to be carbon copies of the tory party but with the pull out of the EU bit. Given their website says 'libertarian' i was hoping for something a bit more non-mainstream. Their manifesto even mentioned banking problems (more than the liblabcon ones bothered to do) but unforunately like that Lord Rannoch admitted 2 years back, none of them seem to have bothered reading their own manifesto.

Opposition to windfarms i agree with on the basis that they need govt subsidies, not on the subjective basis they 'are ugly' Thats not libertarian.

Also the gay marriage thing. A libertarian would surely say its a matter for the separation of church and state, but they seem preoccupied with capturing the christian tory vote, so banged on about that for a while.

I have followed ukip with interest for many years having complete mistrust of most polititians. Farage has to ditch his cosiness with his bankster friends before he gets my nod.

#3 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,825 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

I have followed ukip with interest for many years having complete mistrust of most polititians. Farage has to ditch his cosiness with his bankster friends before he gets my nod.

Pretty much my view. I think the banking industry is where coal mining was in the 70s and 80s. Inefficient, costly and unproductive. It remains to be seen if todays political elite will deal with the Banksters in the same forthright way they did the miners. There should be no special treatment, banking is a leech industry. There might not be the unions fighting reform this time, but instead vast amounts of lobbying power, money transactions and party political donations preventing reform, in many ways far more dangerous than unions. Just look at Mitt Romneys top contributors.

Goldman Sachs $521,180
JPMorgan Chase & Co $356,400
Morgan Stanley $297,550
Credit Suisse Group $296,160
Citigroup Inc $280,050
Bank of America $245,900
Kirkland & Ellis $225,202
Barclays $217,150
HIG Capital $188,500
PricewaterhouseCoopers $185,550
Blackstone Group $178,050
Bain Capital $151,500
Wells Fargo $148,950
UBS AG $140,650
EMC Corp $128,300
Citadel Investment Group $123,625

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2379932059ea3cb20dbeb7b26a560074.jpg 

#4 Big Orange

Big Orange

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

While the Eurozone has run aground and has essentially failed, vindicating UKIP, UKIP itself (beneath its vaneer of tub thumping popularism) is formed from the cast offs from the Tories. So you're surprised its does not really break from the current status quo that's crippling the country?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users