10 replies to this topic

#1 longtomsilver

longtomsilver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

I have just driven 76 miles (the length of M54>M6>M42(ending ashby) in the outside lane at a constant 71-72mph (cruise control set at. 78mph) and not one person came up behind me nor did any one in front of me have to get out of my way. If there weren't so many people traveling at 50-60mph in the inside lane then it's safe to say we could scrap a lane and call it an A road. I literally did not have to pull in once.
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash - Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash So, what left? Alcohol.

John Baker, Aberdeen 8/10/2011 22:34
http://www.dailymail...n.html#comments

"the world seems a better place when you're wearing beer goggles".

Quote buried in same article from 27 year old female subject painting the town of Cardiff red on a booze fuelled night out.

#2 wherebee

wherebee

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • About Me:So I bought a house in Australia in June 2014. Expect a collapse in the western world within 12 months.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

I have just driven 76 miles (the length of M54>M6>M42(ending ashby) in the outside lane at a constant 71-72mph (cruise control set at. 78mph) and not one person came up behind me nor did any one in front of me have to get out of my way. If there weren't so many people traveling at 50-60mph in the inside lane then it's safe to say we could scrap a lane and call it an A road. I literally did not have to pull in once.

excellent! I have a long drive in the Uk to do soon, and looks like I can burn the roads up - happy days, sounds like it will be back to the 80's...!!

There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.....

How the flipping 'eck did we get to 2014 without flying cars and laser guns?

#3 Gigantic Purple Slug

Gigantic Purple Slug

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Try that on a week day when the outside lane is hogged by salespeople who don't pay for their own petrol.

#4 longtomsilver

longtomsilver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

OK so it's Sunday.. I motored past a huge yellow sign announcing the annual price increases on the M6 Toll - medium term the viabilty of that being run as a business has to be in doubt when the mid-week commute inevitably thins out on other more congested routes. M6 Toll only came about because of the credit expansion boom years.
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash - Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash So, what left? Alcohol.

Quote buried in same article from 27 year old female subject painting the town of Cardiff red on a booze fuelled night out.

#5 longtomsilver

longtomsilver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Try that on a week day when the outside lane is hogged by salespeople who don't pay for their own petrol.

We don't pay for our own fuel. My wife is acutely aware of her cost code and has pretty much floated to the top of the pile for 'living the company values' which she won an award for once (came with a 500 bonus). She did not abuse her 1k a month expense allowance like others have done when some faced the chop they came under the scrutiny of cost accountants. Old habits die hard and increasingly others will follow these values to stay off the radar come the next round of redundancies.

*wife no longer has an expense allowance just signed off by the finance director now she's that level herself.

Edited by 30k, 11 March 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#6 sleepwello'nights

sleepwello'nights

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

I have just driven 76 miles (the length of M54>M6>M42(ending ashby) in the outside lane at a constant 71-72mph (cruise control set at. 78mph) and not one person came up behind me nor did any one in front of me have to get out of my way.

We've got some ongoing road works on a dual carriageway. The roundabout before the road works start has got the inside lane coned off about 50 yards before it to get the traffic into single file before entering the road works on the exit. It appears that no one knows of the concept of merge in turn. Its lovely gently cruising along on the empty inside lane. Except on occassion there is someone who won't let you in because they're peeved that they've queued unnecessarily for a couple of miles.

Sorry to change the gist of your thread.
When all's said and done, there's more said than done.

#7 longtomsilver

longtomsilver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

We've got some ongoing road works on a dual carriageway. The roundabout before the road works start has got the inside lane coned off about 50 yards before it to get the traffic into single file before entering the road works on the exit. It appears that no one knows of the concept of merge in turn. Its lovely gently cruising along on the empty inside lane. Except on occassion there is someone who won't let you in because they're peeved that they've queued unnecessarily for a couple of miles.

Sorry to change the gist of your thread.

It's a great change of direction. At the supermarket there is always a long queue on the inside lane turning left off at the island, simply whiz past in the outside lane and go right round the roundabout - works everytime :D

#8 HPC=dream

HPC=dream

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

It's a great change of direction. At the supermarket there is always a long queue on the inside lane turning left off at the island, simply whiz past in the outside lane and go right round the roundabout - works everytime :D

+1 - I love that trick.

#9 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,193 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Brooks' Gambit

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#10 Diver Dan

Diver Dan

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

I am studying advanced driving techniques for a new business venture and on the open road, if it's safe to go at the speed limit, you had better be going at the speed limit. I used to be a fairly laid-back driver so I am enjoying forcing myself to be a wee bit more assertive. Even when travelling at the speed limit, I am still about the fastest thing on the road these days.

Regarding the merge-in-turn thing, I find that even if the first few people don't let you in, eventually someone will and you still save a lot of time.

It's great fun to drive in bus-lanes outside their hours of operation and glide past lines of cars who are afraid to believe the big blue sign with the times on it for fear of being fined.
That's it, I'm getting a wall-safe.

I'd be happy if I were right but I'll settle for being Less Wrong

#11 AThirdWay

AThirdWay

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Fuel costs have impacted hugely on the profitability of the supermarket delivery company I work for. A bit of a blow, as this directly impacts my bonus payment!

I've managed to get funding for the Fuel Efficient Driving courses run by the Energy Saving Trust. Each of my drivers will be attending, with the reminder that their bonus also depends on branch expenses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users