#1 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,134 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

I just put in an offer. The agent thinks it'll be accepted (and it's in the agent's interest, 'cos there's another agent competing for the commission).

Nice stone-built cottage, though in need of some work. Lovely quiet location with no road access and noone passing (except the immediate neighbours in this cluster of six cottages). Lovely south-facing garden going down the hill.

And comfortably below budget, below its own last-sold price (Jan 2004), and well below Zoopla's estimated price for it.

Motivation: mainly that I'm p***ed off with the rental market. And by putting up a 40% deposit I can get mortgage payments down to one third of my current rent, and on a nicer place!

:D

#2 The Eagle

The Eagle

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Good for you, are you sure that the place isn't a money pit?

How about the neighbours, any dangerous weirdos among them?

Any old coal mines below ground?
Owe no man anything but to love one another.
[Romans 13:8]
>>Thrive: What On Earth Will It Take? << - Must see movie! (click to watch on youtube)
Description from IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063834/ ):
"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

#3 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,333 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

seagulls...bears, wild cats...you just be careful out there.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#4 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

True HPC spirit!
'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

#5 Guest_James Toney_*

Guest_James Toney_*

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

I just put in an offer. The agent thinks it'll be accepted (and it's in the agent's interest, 'cos there's another agent competing for the commission).

Nice stone-built cottage, though in need of some work. Lovely quiet location with no road access and noone passing (except the immediate neighbours in this cluster of six cottages). Lovely south-facing garden going down the hill.

And comfortably below budget, below its own last-sold price (Jan 2004), and well below Zoopla's estimated price for it.

Motivation: mainly that I'm p***ed off with the rental market. And by putting up a 40% deposit I can get mortgage payments down to one third of my current rent, and on a nicer place!

great well done, sounds a good buy, if you can get at pre 2004 prices, it is a no brainer if you are paying a third of your rent too,

#6 8 year itch

8 year itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

He's been drinking roundup

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#7 laurag

laurag

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yes, good luck in your new home.

#8 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,936 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

Could be a tasty bunker, or the coal could be a survival lifeline come peak oil. (Plus there might be gold in them thar mines!)

Ideal for storing and launching your "superhero" Watchman style flying vehicle.

Edited by "Steed", 06 March 2012 - 06:45 PM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#9 Sine270

Sine270

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

And dont forget that maintenence costs will more than takeup the difference between rent and mortgage payment ;)

#10 porca misèria

porca misèria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,134 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

:huh: I expect to spend a few quid bringing it up to scratch. But I expect ongoing costs to be met comfortably from the rent I'm no longer paying. :D

Hmmm .... not the most likely location for anything more sinister than a HPCer.

No coal around here. If there were mine workings they'd be something different. ;)

#11 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,415 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Good Internet connection...check.

Less can be more. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#12 porca misèria

porca misèria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,134 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Good Internet connection...check.

Less can be more. ;)

Thanks, but already checked that one. BT's ADSL checker gives me a very similar estimate to the current place. So even if they've erred the wrong way it's not a total disaster.

And south-facing roof, where I could in principle put up a satellite-internet dish. Though I want to use the space for solar panels.

#13 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,470 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Attractive pricing in Devon, maybe it'll cross the Tamar next :)

Well done you miserable pig you!
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

#14 plummet expert

plummet expert

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Stick to the paths....and er er, Zoopla pricing is not reliable. Watch out for more 'n more interest rate hikes over the next 3-4years.

#15 scottbeard

scottbeard

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hope you enjoy your new home!
"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users