Photo

Thinking Of Working Abroad For A Few Years - A Few Questions.....

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Good luck to the OP, I'd say go for it

Can I just ask:
I am in Poland short-term so far, if I were to become resident in Poland and pay income tax in Poland on my UK savings account interest I reckon I would be worse off as their earnings threshold is lower than the UK's

I prefer to be taxed in the UK on my savings interest earned in UK banks for the above reason -
is that still possible if I become non-res in the UK (as yet I am still res in the UK) ?

#17 swissy_fit

swissy_fit

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi everyone, long time lurker to HPC and I have read here almost daily for many years. I am looking for a bit of advice from people on here as I may have a job oppertunity to leave the country.

Basically I have been in my current job (a subsidary of rolls royce turbines) for 8 years, the only job I have had since leaving college with my HNC in electrical engineering. I have worked my way from shifts to be a team leader in charge of maintaining our most complicated machines on site. My salary is 31k before overtime and seen as I still live at home I have been hammering the overtime, working 6 days a week almost constantly, taking my salary to around £40k. I feel fed up with the long shifts and 1 day a week off, but at the same time I really want to move out and have my freedom.

Seen as house prices are still stubbornly high here, I refuse to blow my hard earned deposit on a house that I feel is still way over priced. I have been approached by the manufacturer of one of our mahines, with an offer of working for them. Basically it would be based in Germany where assembly and programming takes place, then 4-6 months comissioning at the customers site per project.

Pay would be around 80k euros per year.

If I take this up, would I still be paying UK income tax rates? I feel this country is going nowhere fast and it would be a good chance to build the deposit faster and get to see different parts of the world at the same time. How difficult is it to work for a foriegn company as far as taxes and accounts are concerned? Also it would mean learning at least the basics of the German language which I would be willing to put the time in and do.

Im sure many peope on here have done this and Im just looking for opinions really, is the grass always greener on the other side or should I take the chance while Im young? (26)

This is a complete no-brainer IMO.
The only reason you need to ask is because you haven't moved away from the apron strings before, so you're a bit nervous.
Tax etc will be fine, some on here are afraid to go 10 miles from their backyard, don't listen to them.
The only drawback I can see is the 6 months at the client sites, but some of those will be interesting as well, depending on where they are.
With a little work, you could become multi-lingual.
Make sure you get decent terms for your 6-month stints at client sites, if you're not used to negotiating they'll try and put you up in a Formula 1 hotel with 1 flight a month.
If you want to know what the next political move will be, ask yourself what will suit the banks, and behold, the answer will come to you.

The Credit Crunch :
The logical financial outcome is deflation. The logical political outcome is inflation. (Thanks to Injin 21st Sept 2008)

#18 Austin Allegro

Austin Allegro

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I work part of the year abroad and part of the year in the UK, and the tax situation has been a bit of a nightmare, to be honest. HMRC aren't too bad, but the NI people don't seem to know their **** from their elbow. To paraphrase Descartes, the only thing that is certain with tax is that nothing is certain...they seem to do things on a case by case basis. Hopefully your German employers can sort it out for you, if not, be prepared for a lot of hanging on the phone etc.

Don't let that put you off though, I'm glad I did it.
Why treat those who call themselves atheists as enemies? Why not simply say to them: ‘We have no quarrel. The “God” whose existence you deny you do well to deny. It is an object among other objects and I deny it also. The necessary ground of all rational thought, on which you and I both depend to make sensible statements, that is what I mean by God.’ Rev Anthony Freeman

#19 SaintJay

SaintJay

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Go - Germany is class. (unless you're a veggie)

mmmmm.....pork knckle.....

#20 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,833 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Go - Germany is class. (unless you're a veggie)

Germany is just fine for a veggie, too.

Last time I was there, I booked myself into a random Gasthof. Went down for an evening meal, looked at the menu, and they had a whole page of menu devoted to recipes based on ... Posted Image

#21 luke85

luke85

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info and advice everyone, genuinely appreciated.

Im going to go for it and see what comes of it, if nothing else it should be an intersting learning exercise.

Will update the thread with any more news and pictures of hot german ladies where necessary

#22 The Eagle

The Eagle

ruffling feathers on a daily basis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Germany is just fine for a veggie, too.

Last time I was there, I booked myself into a random Gasthof. Went down for an evening meal, looked at the menu, and they had a whole page of menu devoted to recipes based on ... Posted Image

But are you aware that they use lard with everything?

As a veggie you have to explicitly tell them not to use lard for your dish, otherwise they will most likely use it.
Owe no man anything but to love one another.
[Romans 13:8]
>>Thrive: What On Earth Will It Take? << - Must see movie! (click to watch on youtube)
Description from IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063834/ ):
"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

#23 jaydee

jaydee

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi everyone, long time lurker to HPC and I have read here almost daily for many years. I am looking for a bit of advice from people on here as I may have a job oppertunity to leave the country.

Basically I have been in my current job (a subsidary of rolls royce turbines) for 8 years, the only job I have had since leaving college with my HNC in electrical engineering. I have worked my way from shifts to be a team leader in charge of maintaining our most complicated machines on site. My salary is 31k before overtime and seen as I still live at home I have been hammering the overtime, working 6 days a week almost constantly, taking my salary to around £40k. I feel fed up with the long shifts and 1 day a week off, but at the same time I really want to move out and have my freedom.

Seen as house prices are still stubbornly high here, I refuse to blow my hard earned deposit on a house that I feel is still way over priced. I have been approached by the manufacturer of one of our mahines, with an offer of working for them. Basically it would be based in Germany where assembly and programming takes place, then 4-6 months comissioning at the customers site per project.

If I take this up, would I still be paying UK income tax rates? I feel this country is going nowhere fast and it would be a good chance to build the deposit faster and get to see different parts of the world at the same time. How difficult is it to work for a foriegn company as far as taxes and accounts are concerned? Also it would mean learning at least the basics of the German language which I would be willing to put the time in and do.

Im sure many peope on here have done this and Im just looking for opinions really, is the grass always greener on the other side or should I take the chance while Im young? (26)

It seems there is nothing 'forcing' you to go - such as onerous debts or precarious employment - if so this can be a slight disadvantage because it will require perhaps a little more courage to 'pull the trigger' and go. If you don't go - you may regret it bitterly in years to come. Change can be a bit unnerving - but worth embracing - and as your only 26 there should be plenty of other overseas opportunities for you if this turns out not to suit. The zero tax regimes of most middle east countries may be worth exploring.

Kurt Barlow was right regarding the 90 day rule regarding domicile status. Also - you can continue to pay NI insurance contributions while you are away - and IMO it's well worth doing so. The UK is in ruins - even worse than it was in the early 80's. Don't think twice - get out while you can - there is a whole new and exciting world out there - this ship is going down - don't get sucked under.

#24 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,788 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

A bit about double taxation here
http://www.hmrc.gov....l/dta-intro.htm

Run like the wind.... if you don't go you will never know.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#25 abroad

abroad

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

I'm a UK citizen and I lived and worked in Hessen for 6 years from 1999 and since then in Benelux region. There is absolutely no complexity on taxation.If you are employed in Germany and paying into Germany NI and Taxation then there is no tax to pay in the UK.

You just need to advise HMRC when you are leaving. There is no 90 day limit in the UK as long as you are not working here and remain registered in Germany and can be seen to pay tax an NI there. As long as that is the case you can argue that the centre of your economic activity is there and you are just here on holiday. There is however a 183 day limit that if you cross makes you resident in the UK .....although how they'd know I don't know. You'll get more holidays in Germany than the UK but not 6 months......

A few things to watch out for...

When in the year you move will impact your tax. Germany will count all income regardless of where it was earned in the tax year that you move there...... The UK will only count the tax on UK earnings until you leave but you'll get the full year allowance on the part year earnings.. So you'll get a tax rebate from UK and a penalty from Germany when you do your tax bill at the end of the year. so keep the UK money to pay the Germans.

I was married with a kid and was poorly advised to take out Privat Heath Insurance(PrivatKrankenkasse), I should have opted for the state system as we were a family. It may be cheaper for a single guy to be in privat system but get quotes, the company will help. Once you opt out to Privat its almost impossible to get back into state system so choose carefully Its a fair amount so watch it.

Tax wise you'll get a rough idea from site below but you won't pay less taxes than you do in the UK. Don't pay the church tax, say no religion on anything you fill in.

http://www.parmentie...r/incometax.htm

Most people rent and its very easy, you don't even need a deposit as the bank will arrange a bond for you and you pay something like 0.5% of the value annually. If you get chance of a company car take it, tax is nowhere near as onerous as in the UK. Plus its less hassle and no need to be left holding a LHD if you decide to move back.

Be careful about thinking about pulling contributions back to the UK from Germany, German OAP is likely to be better than UK for year on year contriutions. I'm not even sure its possible. You can be paid an EU pension anywhere in the EU.

I found it a great experience and I would move back to Germany but only to certain Lander. Personally in my view the further south you go the better the weather but the funnier the folk. Bayern or Baden Wuertemburg are very nice , especially in the south.

Take language lessons before you go, you'll need them. I was advised before I went that people who work abroad for at least 5 years are 75% likely to earn at least 50% more than their peers at home should they return as the international experience carries a lot of weight with employers. I thought it was BS as I was already well paid but I would not agree that its the case after 12 years and having spoke ot other UK folk who have lived abroad for extended periods..

Edited by abroad, 22 March 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#26 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

I'd jump at it.
Language is so easy to pick up,
Lifestyle leaves the UK in the dark ages.
The views expressed in my posts are my own based upon what I read on other information supplied by other HPC members.
These should not be used a a definitive answer to any posts I attempt to answer.

#27 mpprh

mpprh

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

Another supporter for making the move. I've been resident in UK, Belgium, Sweden and France.

You only need 30 yrs contributions (top up years cost around £650) to get a full UK state pension. Your other pensions will be higher and payable earlier.

Aim to move back to UK and buy a house without a mortgage - and life suddenly gets easier !

Many decide they like "foren" and stay. I'm currently in South France and there are quite a few retired Brit expats around.

Send me a PM if you need more info.

#28 luke85

luke85

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the advice and opinions guys. Contract signed and working out my notice now! 2 weeks left working in the UK, followed by 3 weeks on a USA tour that Ive always wanted to do then start work in Germany on 1st August.

#29 swissy_fit

swissy_fit

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

Congratulations - good choice.
Hope Germany doesn't leave the Euro, it's the only circumstance in which I can see you regretting this move!
If you want to know what the next political move will be, ask yourself what will suit the banks, and behold, the answer will come to you.

The Credit Crunch :
The logical financial outcome is deflation. The logical political outcome is inflation. (Thanks to Injin 21st Sept 2008)

#30 FaFa!

FaFa!

だいてほしいな

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

Best of luck - keep us posted on how you get on!
Check me out on Youtube -
お願いファーファね!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users