50 replies to this topic

#31 billybong

billybong

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

So you want pensioners to hoard their phone lines and prevent the next generation making that same income?

Why don't they just sell their phone lines so other people can make the income and perhaps expand the number of phone lines. Then the pensioner takes the proceeds from the sale and earn interest on it. That money is loaned out to other people to create more phone lines.

Why are people going to carry on creating phone line businesses now when they see that the fruits of their labour are devalued and offer little or no return. All they have done is worked and paid taxes for years but finish up with nothing at the end except a life of poverty.

+1

They won't. Why save (even Sir Mervyn of Zig Zag said savers aren't good for the UK economy as it stands now - even if he's wrong [again] that's what he said), they'll go on benefits, they'll try to find work with the public sector etc - UK 2012 and it has been for quite a few years now.

Edited by billybong, 02 March 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#32 erranta

erranta

Knows he doesn't know

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts
  • About Me:Too old for another mortgage

- fighting slavery and serfdom by despotic 'false' leaders of mock-democracy, their mega-corps and corporatism for the next ignorant generation

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

If the policy helps reallocate a portion of national wealth from pensioners to those working, then it will be a good thing. Diverting too much resource to those who dont produce is a massive drag on the nation.

More unthoughtful crap from you!

Poor people spend every penny straight back into the economy helping it tick over and tax revenues pour in spending local to keep local people in local jobs

The rich 'invest' their excess cash thru City managers who are destroying the country and others throughout the World for short-termist, crony corporatism profit and greed :P

Edited by erranta, 02 March 2012 - 03:01 PM.

"The rich man's wealth is his strong city, and as an high wall in his own conceit." Proverbs Ch18 v.11

Whistle Blow!
You know 'IT' makes sense!

Exploitation & corrupt Government / Elite Rule? They have nowhere to hide if we all EXPOSE their corruption!

"Most propaganda is NOT designed to fool the critical thinker but only to give MORAL COWARDS an excuse not to think at all!"

#33 leicestersq

leicestersq

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

BB asked you a straight question, re. the money he had SAVED for his old age, which is being eroded by the policy of QE. You deflected to the issue of state pensions.

You fail to understand what saved money is.

If it is in a bank, then it is actually invested in an asset somewhere, a loan normally. If the value of those assets fall enough through deflation, all the savings get wiped out. QE is probably defending his saved money by keeping the financial system and the productive system working. The cost is that real interest rates go negative for savers, but it ensures assets paid for with loans remain profitable.

So you either lose money slowly thanks to qe, or lose it quickly to deflation. It is far better to make savers pay a little to allow the productive part of our economy gain.

There is no free lunch.

#34 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle :rolleyes:

http://www.swp.org.uk/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest there be any doubt.

No I believe prices will fall and am astounded that a so called Conservative led government could act in such a stupid way. As you can see from today, there are 2,000 HtB applicants and it has been on MSM none stop all day and they make up about 3.5% of a typical months mortgages.

BTL is a good potential way to bankruptcy and yes sometimes I make points to hopefully make people think.

#35 Lion

Lion

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hardly, I worked and saved for my retirement.

I do not as yet receive a State pension, but when I do I expect it to be commensurate with what I paid into the State pension scheme.

Incidentally, I don't actually need the State pension so perhaps it should be confiscated and given to someone who paid nothing into it.

The money you paid in has long gone, your pension will fully be paid from current taxes. I plan to retire in about 30 yrs and fully expect the pension system will be far less generous then. I expect a massive reduction in income when I retire. By then all state pensions may be means tested because the government may only be able to pay a small pension to the poorest of the poor, and regardless of contributions I may therefore not get any state pension as I also save for a private pension and have a house. Tough luck - you can only get what is there.

Today's pensioners have no reason to complain:
Never ever did average pensioners have it so good as now.
Never ever was the ratio of workers to pensioners so bad as now - and it will get much worse.

History will view the last 50 years as the golden age for pensioners and this age is coming to an end as it is unsustainable due to demographic changes - less young people and more old people who also live longer. The key underlying reasons for the huge deficits in most western countries are the unaffordable pension systems. Would the states not have to prop up the pension systems, no government would have a deficit anymore.
My parents were teachers in Austria and get a state pension of 3000 Euro net per month each. Good for them, but not sustainable.

Edited by Lion, 02 March 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#36 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

The money you paid in has long gone, your pension will fully be paid from current taxes.

Yes, of course, that's how governments choose to do it, which is part of the problem, but it was ever thus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest there be any doubt.

No I believe prices will fall and am astounded that a so called Conservative led government could act in such a stupid way. As you can see from today, there are 2,000 HtB applicants and it has been on MSM none stop all day and they make up about 3.5% of a typical months mortgages.

BTL is a good potential way to bankruptcy and yes sometimes I make points to hopefully make people think.

#37 leicestersq

leicestersq

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yes, of course, that's how governments choose to do it, which is part of the problem, but it was ever thus.

BB,

not all government's do it that way. I think that Japan and Norway have funded schemes. Can anyone confirm this?

The trouble is those funded schemes are often a worse idea than paying for pensions out of directo taxation. The state then has to invest the money somewhere, and the state isnt a good guardian of other people's money or a good investor of it. Norway has lost loads I think to US investment banks getting them to buy rubbish. In Japan I think that the scheme ended up with loads of Japanese bonds, which begs the question, why bother, when they just pay out of taxation anyway?

#38 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

BB,

not all government's do it that way. I think that Japan and Norway have funded schemes. Can anyone confirm this?

The trouble is those funded schemes are often a worse idea than paying for pensions out of directo taxation. The state then has to invest the money somewhere, and the state isnt a good guardian of other people's money or a good investor of it. Norway has lost loads I think to US investment banks getting them to buy rubbish. In Japan I think that the scheme ended up with loads of Japanese bonds, which begs the question, why bother, when they just pay out of taxation anyway?

Did I say all governments? :rolleyes:

Lest there be any doubt.

#39 leicestersq

leicestersq

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Did I say all governments? :rolleyes:

that's how governments choose to do it

Well that is how I interpreted your earlier statement in bold above.

#40 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

that's how governments choose to do it

Well that is how I interpreted your earlier statement in bold above.

Well, as usual, you were wrong.

Lest there be any doubt.

#41 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Attached File  save.jpg   23.72KB   8 downloads
Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and it's banks. The UK's Governbankment does policies to enrich bankers at the expense of the public. The more money people are encouraged to borrow, the more money bankers make.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR and interest rates swaps are now being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses.

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#42 billybong

billybong

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

http://www.citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/stout-qe-worse-than-drugs-its-economic-vandalism/a571388?ref=wealth-manager-latest-news-list

Aberdeen Asset Management's Bruce Stout has blasted the central banks that have used quantitative easing (QE) to shore up the financial system, dubbing QE 'worse than a drug' and 'economic vandalism' of the highest degree.

#43 scepticus

scepticus

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,646 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

The money you paid in has long gone, your pension will fully be paid from current taxes. I plan to retire in about 30 yrs and fully expect the pension system will be far less generous then. I expect a massive reduction in income when I retire. By then all state pensions may be means tested because the government may only be able to pay a small pension to the poorest of the poor, and regardless of contributions I may therefore not get any state pension as I also save for a private pension and have a house. Tough luck - you can only get what is there.

Never ever was the ratio of workers to pensioners so bad as now - and it will get much worse.

History will view the last 50 years as the golden age for pensioners and this age is coming to an end as it is unsustainable due to demographic changes - less young people and more old people who also live longer. The key underlying reasons for the huge deficits in most western countries are the unaffordable pension systems. Would the states not have to prop up the pension systems, no government would have a deficit anymore.
My parents were teachers in Austria and get a state pension of 3000 Euro net per month each. Good for them, but not sustainable.

Words of wisdom, heed them well.

Apart from the bit about 'last 50 years' being a golden age.

If a person retired on massive ponzi benefits in the last 10 years, even with an index linked pension, and that person expects the wealth therein to last another 20 or 30 years then that person is going to be very disappointed.

Present government 'guarantees' are not to be trusted.

#44 bmf

bmf

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

One contract for their generation. Another for yours. But they say it will be the same.

#45 billybong

billybong

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

History will view the last 50 years as the golden age for pensioners...

For some pensioners perhaps and in the main the public sector but there are plenty who have been cheated and robbed of pension in recent years (some might even say that some of the robbery and cheating was to help fund daft public sector pensions) so if they've had a golden age then things are going to be truly grim.

Edited by billybong, 02 March 2012 - 10:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users