59 replies to this topic

#46 MarkG

MarkG

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Probably depends on what the success criteria of the exercise are. If they happen to be dealing with BVR bogeys killed then you're still rather stuffed.

But for BVR fighting, what you're flying is irrelevant other than the weapons and sensors it carries. A Cessna would win against an F-22 if it could see the F-22 and hit it before the F-22 fired back.

If you believe the future is shooting missiles at a blob on the radar screen from fifty miles away, you should be buying large numbers of cheap drones, not tiny numbers of incredibly expensive fighters.
"If the world operates as one big market, every employee will compete with every person anywhere in the world who is capable of doing the same job. There are lots of them and many of them are hungry." -- Andy Grove, Intel.

#47 bewildered_renter

bewildered_renter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

But for BVR fighting, what you're flying is irrelevant other than the weapons and sensors it carries. A Cessna would win against an F-22 if it could see the F-22 and hit it before the F-22 fired back.

If you believe the future is shooting missiles at a blob on the radar screen from fifty miles away, you should be buying large numbers of cheap drones, not tiny numbers of incredibly expensive fighters.

And can the Harrier do this? At all?

#48 spyguy

spyguy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Err yes.

The MOD, like most standing army, is just a jobs-for-boys gig.

We've been in afghan for 10 years now.
We are fighting a bunch of goat herders with 50 year old weapons.
We have spent inordinate amounts of money on blood and all we have to show for it is Hamid Karzi.
Great!

Remember the tosh about nation building etc.

Our forces are based around an idea of prancing around like a Prussian from 105 years ago.

Go for missiles, go for missiles BIG!

#49 MarkG

MarkG

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

And can the Harrier do this? At all?

AMRAAM has a range of 45 miles according to Wikipedia. So pretty much yes.

Also, the P1216 would have been supersonic if it had been built, as would some of the other proposed Harrier follow-ons. So if the government had been serious about keeping the Harrier and developing it, they would have had a far more capable fighter by now.

Instead they may one day get the F-35, which is incredibly expensive and similarly limited in payload due to the stealth capabilities, which are pretty much useless against any existing opponent; you don't need a stealth plane to attack third-world crap-holes, yet it's probably not good enough to survive attacking China or Russia.

Edited by MarkG, 03 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

"If the world operates as one big market, every employee will compete with every person anywhere in the world who is capable of doing the same job. There are lots of them and many of them are hungry." -- Andy Grove, Intel.

#50 bewildered_renter

bewildered_renter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

AMRAAM has a range of 45 miles according to Wikipedia. So pretty much yes.

Also, the P1216 would have been supersonic if it had been built, as would some of the other proposed Harrier follow-ons. So if the government had been serious about keeping the Harrier and developing it, they would have had a far more capable fighter by now.

And the radar can do that too?

P1216- a new fighter, fine on paper.

#51 bewildered_renter

bewildered_renter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

And how does all this break the old rules of energy management?

#52 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Instead they may one day get the F-35, which is incredibly expensive and similarly limited in payload due to the stealth capabilities

And which lost so badly in test fights against the harrier that they refused to fight them anymore.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#53 MarkG

MarkG

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,867 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

And the radar can do that too?

Apparently it got the Blue Vixen radar, which appears to have an effective range of around 50 miles and can control four AMRAAMS simultaneously. So yes, against conventional fighters.

P1216- a new fighter, fine on paper.

Rather like the F-35, then. Except the P1216 would have been based on existing, proven technology and hence less likely to be an expensive boondoggle.

#54 mfp123

mfp123

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Apparently it got the Blue Vixen radar, which appears to have an effective range of around 50 miles and can control four AMRAAMS simultaneously. So yes, against conventional fighters.

Rather like the F-35, then. Except the P1216 would have been based on existing, proven technology and hence less likely to be an expensive boondoggle.

the harrier was scrapped because the carriers were scrapped to save money over these next 10 years so its a moot point. theyre not just looking for cheaper theyre looking to spend zero.

the f35 is a different generation of plane and cant be compared. its way ahead of any other plane out there barring the f22.

#55 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

the harrier was scrapped because the carriers were scrapped to save money over these next 10 years so its a moot point. theyre not just looking for cheaper theyre looking to spend zero.

the f35 is a different generation of plane and cant be compared. its way ahead of any other plane out there barring the f22.

I'm sure the F35v2 will be a great plane, but the first one will/is a joke.

We only agree to buy american planes when the assured us there would be an equivalent VTOL version. When they admitted the VTOL wouldn't work we should have gone elsewhere as the non VTOL version is incredibly poor value for money.

The fact that both the F35 and F22 were beaten by the euro-fighter in trials, and now refuse to do any more trials, makes them a laughing stock. Their big selling point is their stealth, but by the time they are in general use I fully expect their stealth to be defeated... if it hasn't already. Especially now samples of Americas latest stealth paint will already be in Chinese labs thanks to the Iranians catching that drone.

With the Chinese rate of reverse engineering and duplicating stuff Stealth Paint should be available on ebay in about 6 months, and you'll be able to paint your car with it as a new way of beating speed cameras.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#56 mfp123

mfp123

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

I'm sure the F35v2 will be a great plane, but the first one will/is a joke.

We only agree to buy american planes when the assured us there would be an equivalent VTOL version. When they admitted the VTOL wouldn't work we should have gone elsewhere as the non VTOL version is incredibly poor value for money.

The fact that both the F35 and F22 were beaten by the euro-fighter in trials, and now refuse to do any more trials, makes them a laughing stock. Their big selling point is their stealth, but by the time they are in general use I fully expect their stealth to be defeated... if it hasn't already. Especially now samples of Americas latest stealth paint will already be in Chinese labs thanks to the Iranians catching that drone.

With the Chinese rate of reverse engineering and duplicating stuff Stealth Paint should be available on ebay in about 6 months, and you'll be able to paint your car with it as a new way of beating speed cameras.

they are designed for different type of fighting and the typhoon doesnt fare well against stealth, which isnt just paint!

stealth doesnt mean they cant be seen it means it takes longer for you to see them, by which time theyve fired a missile at you already.

and its first shot kills when it comes to air to air fighting.

#57 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,092 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Royal Navy will get second aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales after Nato leaders agree to boost military spending
1409930501528_Puff_Image_galleryImage_Ar

The announcement came as Nato sealed a pledge to stop cutting defence budgets and to move towards meeting the target of spending 2 per cent of national income over the next decade.

Yeah two useless aircraft carriers with no planes to fly off them!

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#58 stormymonday_2011

stormymonday_2011

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Royal Navy will get second aircraft carrier HMS Prince of Wales after Nato leaders agree to boost military spending

1409930501528_Puff_Image_galleryImage_Ar

The announcement came as Nato sealed a pledge to stop cutting defence budgets and to move towards meeting the target of spending 2 per cent of national income over the next decade.

Yeah two useless aircraft carriers with no planes to fly off them!

More willy waving by Cameron just as chunks are about to start dropping off the UK.

The man really is a joke, a veritable custard pie Tony Blair. He can't even start a decent illegal war.

The certainty of misery is preferable to the the misery of uncertainty

#59 Ghostly

Ghostly

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:43 AM

And which lost so badly in test fights against the harrier that they refused to fight them anymore.

Got any more details about that?

#60 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

We won't get it and it will be twenty years late, and we will have failed to build the fighters to put on it! :blink: Even if we had the planes, we wouldn't have any pilots, but we would have loads of "project managers" that obviously didn't project manage! :blink:

Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users