easy2012

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

http://www.telegraph...op-degrees.html

Companies told: stop prioritising job applicants with top degrees

Major corporations risk discriminating against thousands of students by prioritising job applicants with good degree grades from elite universities, a Government-commissioned review warns today.

More silly PC..

#2 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,077 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

When are they going to stop discriminating against those without degrees?

Also they should stop giving jobs based on experience, clearly that discriminates against those without it.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#3 the_duke_of_hazzard_left

the_duke_of_hazzard_left

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Oh FFS.

Having interviewed for the last 10 years I don't bother with 2:1s from certain universities anymore unless there's evidence of ability outside the degree.

Some university courses are so bad we even tried to contact them to tell why their candidates were failing. Of course, they didn't respond.

Of course, the idea of ensuring consistency of standards across universities is not an option. If they did that, there would be no need for such filters.

What are we supposed to do? Spend all day interviewing every possible candidate?

#4 easy2012

easy2012

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

When are they going to stop discriminating against those without degrees?

Also they should stop giving jobs based on experience, clearly that discriminates against those without it.

Think next will be that making ability to speak English a requirement will be deemed discriminatory..

#5 CrashedOutAndBurned

CrashedOutAndBurned

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

I attained there As at A Level but was predicted rather lower and went to the middle of the middle rank non-elite two-Bs-and-a-C Uni to which I'd applied.

People with the exact same grades in the same sort of subjects went to Oxbridge.

And this was years ago.

With piss-easy exams nowadays I bet there are some rather dim 'coursework grafters' that aren't the sort of dynamic individuals likely to set the world on fire turning up for work.

So it makes sense on some level.

To succeed in the modern workplace seems you either need to be a true whizkid or a breathless yes-man with no ability for critical thought. The latter I'm sure you can find in most educational establishments.
Consume The Mainstream Media http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

#6 Traktion

Traktion

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,292 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

That isn't baseless discrimination. Finding people with the right skills is what recruitment is all about.

TBH, the whole idea of policy to stop discrimination is daft anyway. If a company foolishly ignores people because of their colour, background etc, other more encompassing companies will get to employ them gainfully instead. The former's loss, is the latter's gain. In the long run, that will make the latter more competitive, encouraging other companies to be more open minded too.

The state should just retract its neck and let people trade freely.
Hayek: Denationalisation of Money - Competing, alternative currencies and breaking the money monopolies.
Bitcoin - Free market, distributed, open source, e-currency.
Against Intellectual Monopoly - Stop the rent seeking through legal monopoly.
Freedomain Radio - Philosophical commentary and debate.
Khan Academy - Free market education, funded by voluntary donations.
Community Land Licencing - A distributed, non-state, alternative to land value taxation.

#7 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

I hope the authors of such reports don't expect their doctors to be limited to that elite who have been through medical school. That would be terrible discrimination!

#8 Nationalist

Nationalist

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

The real nonsense is the pretense that a degree in English or *ology has some sort of equivalence to a degree in Maths or Physics. Your typical Oxbridge double-starred first in English wouldn't stand a hope in hell of getting a 3rd in Maths from a former Poly. The UK is dominated by arts grads determined that the shallowness of their education should be for ever masked by the poshness of their alma mater. The country is run (badly) by PPE grads who don't know how many zeros there are on a billion.

Edited by Nationalist, 28 February 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#9 Georgia O'Keeffe

Georgia O'Keeffe

Fondue NOT Raclette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

The real nonsense is the pretense that a degree in English or *ology has some sort of equivalence to a degree in Maths or Physics. Your typical Oxbridge double-starred first in English wouldn't stand a hope in hell of getting a 3rd in Maths from a former Poly. The UK is dominated by arts grads determined that the shallowness of their education should be for ever masked by the poshness of their alma mater. The country is run (badly) by PPE grads who don't know how many zeros there are on a billion.

Here have one for your other shoulder

Posted Image

#10 Nationalist

Nationalist

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Here have one for your other shoulder

Posted Image

:lol: - I think I've flushed out an arts grad!

#11 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,077 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

The country is run (badly) by PPE grads who don't know how many zeros there are on a billion.

To be fair there are 2 answers.

Although these people do tend to like getting deficit/debt mixed up, however I do think that is done deliberately to confuse people. But I'm also open to the idea they also have a reality distortion field which allows them to believe what they are saying.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#12 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,006 posts
  • About Me:German Girl avatar - http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/theremoteisland/2009/02/german-girl-10.jpg

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Discrimination is natural - it is what the human species - and for that matter probably every other species - does every day.
"****** you - you carwash ****"

March 2007 - Suzy Essman.

#13 fluffy666

fluffy666

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Oh FFS.

Having interviewed for the last 10 years I don't bother with 2:1s from certain universities anymore unless there's evidence of ability outside the degree.

Some university courses are so bad we even tried to contact them to tell why their candidates were failing. Of course, they didn't respond.

Of course, the idea of ensuring consistency of standards across universities is not an option. If they did that, there would be no need for such filters.

What are we supposed to do? Spend all day interviewing every possible candidate?

One of the problems with 'Marketising' higher education is that people who have just spent £lots on a degree course tend to moan if they get failed for the mere detail of not having a clue. With industrial sponsors it can be worse.. you need the revenue, so if you start failing people you are cutting your nose off. I can attest to that pressure..

#14 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,599 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I would have thought it would have been more PC to prioritize top degrees...i bet for example its easier to get a first class degree at Luton University than it is from Cambridge/Oxford.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#15 frozen_out

frozen_out

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

We recruit for some pretty niche jobs (the kind of stuff they never teach on degrees)and we never solely discriminate on either University or degree classification. One of our best engineers did his 1st degree at Teesside. Although being foreign I'm not quite sure he fully understood the implications of this when he did the course.

We look for particular competencies evident in the CVs (90% go straight in the bin) then do telephone interviews for the ones we're not sure about (this flushes out the 90% of no hopers that are good at writing CVs) then the rest get a face to face interview.

The latest job we recruited for had about 150 applicants and we've whittled it down to 4 for interview. Within that 4 we've got a pretty big spread of academic achievement (Cambridge 1st in Nat Sci and PhD to 2.1 in materials science from Liverpool).

One of our key strategies in interviews (both telephone and face to face) is asking them technical questions that we know they're not going to vbe able to answer from prior knowledge then seeing how they attempt to work out the answer on the hoof. The ones that do well in this exercise tend to make decent scientists, regardless of their degree classification or alma mater.
The only thing they'll understand is a wall against their backs. - Paul Weller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users