18 replies to this topic

#1 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,104 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Was something on radio about someone's new book about the history of the poor... Can't remember what the book was though.

Up to 1834 the poor were treated quite well. Money raised locally was given to them. Orphans, the elderly and single parents were well looked after.

Laws changed in 1834 - perhaps because of a rise in the numbers of unemployed looking for help.

Someone's shared this link elsewhere:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Oldham/

A parliamentary report of 1777 records workhouses in operation in Oldham (for up to 60 inmates), Middleton (40) and Chedderton [Chadderton] (3).

Without knowing population numbers for that year it's impossible to know %

Mr Howlett, Vicar of Dunmow, in Essex, estimated the population in 1780 at 8,691,000

Would poorhouses save the govt money these days?

Edited by SarahBell, 26 February 2012 - 01:04 PM.

Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#2 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Was something on radio about someone's new book about the history of the poor... Can't remember what the book was though.

Up to 1834 the poor were treated quite well. Money raised locally was given to them. Orphans, the elderly and single parents were well looked after.

Laws changed in 1834 - perhaps because of a rise in the numbers of unemployed looking for help.

Someone's shared this link elsewhere:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Oldham/

A parliamentary report of 1777 records workhouses in operation in Oldham (for up to 60 inmates), Middleton (40) and Chedderton [Chadderton] (3).

Without knowing population numbers for that year it's impossible to know %

Mr Howlett, Vicar of Dunmow, in Essex, estimated the population in 1780 at 8,691,000

Workhouses wont work as there aren't really many manual labour manufacturing jobs these days.... it's mostly mechanised and the stuff that isn't is done in china where land is cheaper.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#3 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Ever thought of a career in the Conservative party?

#4 Hectors House

Hectors House

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • About Me:WOOF!

I hate politicos

I actually believe that Government ministers should be held financially liable for their decisions with their own personal fortunes, so for example if HS2 fails miserably then those ministers that signed it off in the first place should forfeit their personal fortunes.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Ever thought of a career in the Conservative party?

Shes totally bonkers!
"I'm Professor Brian Cox and I'm standing on one of the two largest things in the universe... that's right Sarah Beeney's breasts!"

"Property, was the wrong thing for my business to get involved in" Lord Alan Sugar on why his personal fortune decreased in recent years.

"The property market is a car crash happening in slow motion, this is going to play out for the next twenty years like Japan" Radio 5 Live 15/12/11

The suburbs where they rip out trees, and name streets after them.

#5 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

The book may have been The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists, a novel by Robert Tressell

untitled.PNG

#6 mon-keyhanger

mon-keyhanger

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

The book may have been The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists, a novel by Robert Tressell

someone's new book

Not exactly a NEW book he died in 1911. Published a few years after that.

#7 witsended

witsended

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Poverty ... is a most necessary and indispensable ingredient in society, without which nations and communities could not exist in a state of civilisation. It is the lot of man it is the source of wealth, since without poverty there would be no labour, and without labour there could be no riches, no refinement, no comfort, and no benefit to those who may be possessed of wealth

#8 Stret

Stret

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Poverty ... is a most necessary and indispensable ingredient in society, without which nations and communities could not exist in a state of civilisation. It is the lot of man it is the source of wealth, since without poverty there would be no labour, and without labour there could be no riches, no refinement, no comfort, and no benefit to those who may be possessed of wealth

Ah yes, Patrick Colqhoun, inherited a pile of money and then added to it by buying into slave plantations in the U.S.

I'm sure he's just the sort of chap who'd fit right into the modern economy.

#9 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

We will have them soon in the form of dormitories at Tesco and other supermarkets.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#10 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,104 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Shes totally bonkers!

98% bonkers thank you very much.

#11 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Shes totally bonkers!

Exactomundo! :lol:

#12 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

98% bonkers thank you very much.

That 2% makes all the difference. It means you know you have an issue but it's not too late to do something about it. If you had just said "I'm not" we would be worried about the denial.

I was down to 89% but have slipped back up to 97% I've noticed it always goes up when I spend too much time on here.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.

#13 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,104 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

That 2% makes all the difference. It means you know you have an issue but it's not too late to do something about it. If you had just said "I'm not" we would be worried about the denial.

I was down to 89% but have slipped back up to 97% I've noticed it always goes up when I spend too much time on here.

A friend mentioned that I may be a little delusional, I was so surprised I nearly fell off my unicorn.

#14 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

A friend mentioned that I may be a little delusional, I was so surprised I nearly fell off my unicorn.

My minds boggling now. I think I've gone up to 99%

Democorruptcy

Governbankment

#15 witsended

witsended

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Agreed, however and there is always a however, what if work was done for the good of the community?

I think some people need to learn a little social history.It is only just 60 years ago the last of these types of hell holes were abolished or shut down for good, though many of the unfortunates held there were just transferred into the large mental or learning difficulties hospitals . I had the privilage to talk to and listen to the stories of some of these people as a young man. It showed me how thin the veneer of civilization is in this country.
We wring our hands at the plight of orphans or others trapped in former Eastern Europe institutions ,often blaming the staff for their inhumanity.
But the same was going on here till twenty odd years ago covered up at the time and since by the destuction of most of the records on the grounds of privacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users