Photo
- - - - -

Santander "to Start Looking At Discretionary Spending, Including Presents & Subscriptions During Mortgage Applications"

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Our govt wants banks to prop the door open.

And there was me wasting my vote, thinking the tories would be different, the same Sir Humphrey in the shadows forever in charge

#17 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,737 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

....since when was it important that banks got their money back? ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#18 Pent Up

Pent Up

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

....since when was it important that banks got their money back? ;)

Since we started paying the shortfall.
Remember that buying a house is a highly leveraged investment and can result in losses that exceed your initial deposit. Buying a house may not be suitable for everyone, so please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.

"The time to buy is when blood is running in the streets" Baron Nathan Rothschild

#19 guitarman001

guitarman001

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Interesting that they take benefits into account.
That's me scr@wed then. I get none!

#20 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,273 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

This looks to me like a story with two halves. If you're spendthrift, you get less mortgage. But if you're frugal, you get more.

If we'd had that kind of thing back in the 1980s, maybe I'd've qualified for a mortgage of 3-4xpay and got my foot on that housing ladder sometime between starting work in central London in 1983 and fleeing to Germany in 1985. 'Cos set against renting in the 1980s, that would've been attractive even at interest rates of 15%.

On the other hand, how are they going to check. Is this the point to page Eric?

#21 moonriver

moonriver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

"David Hollingworth of mortgage broker London & Country said:...
‘People change their habits when they buy a house. They don’t go out as much, and they spend less on birthdays and holidays because they have a mortgage to pay"

Sounds to me like a mortgage makes life a bundle of joy.
That's one desperate mortgage broker.

Well I guess at least "owners" have more opportunity to spend time and money doing, painting, decorating and DIY. :lol:

Wonder why so many "owners" in the UK still assume renters are the ones who are the second class citizens?

Most of my friends and family are still baffled as to why we would choose to rent rather than buy our current family home.

#22 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,138 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Amazing how Santander are still in business after taking over so many crappy UK banks and not closing them.,

There are 3 Santanders within 100 yards of one another at a town near me. IIRC one used to be the Alliance and Leicester, another the Bradford and Bingley, and the third Abbey National.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#23 headmelter

headmelter

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • About Me:marbles, reading the Beano, riding my bike and drinking Irish whiskey.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Moved an ISA from Santander a while ago. When doing so the girl asked me was it from Santander. I didn't confirm at first but asked her if they were getting many transfers from Santander. She said they were getting lots of transfers the majority of which were from Santander.

Undercover bank run anyone ?
Insanity is hereditary .......you get it from your kids.!

GREEN & GOLD UNTIL WE'RE SOLD.

#24 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

"David Hollingworth of mortgage broker London & Country said:...
‘People change their habits when they buy a house. They don’t go out as much, and they spend less on birthdays and holidays because they have a mortgage to pay"

Sounds to me like a mortgage makes life a bundle of joy.
That's one desperate mortgage broker.

That's a cracker from a mortgage broker! Somebody tell ITN News Business Editor Laura Kuennsberg.....

"Ray Boulger of broker John Charcol said: ‘Santander has crossed the line with this as irregular expenditure "

Shouldn't that be

"Ray Boulger of broker John Charcol who went into administration in 2010"?

How many times does he want John Charcol to get in trouble? Why is he even given a voice?

http://citywire.co.u...tration/a384055

Edited by Democorruptcy, 25 February 2012 - 03:29 PM.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#25 iamdamosuzuki

iamdamosuzuki

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Looks like it to me, and has done for some time (imho etc etc)

This is desparate, back covering, horse/stable door/bolted stuff really. Whether you like it or not, all this is very bad for their reputation. I've got a mortgage with them, but wouldn't put savings anywhere near them.

It is diifficult to take seriously this kind of action. Cloaked as it is in some sort of moral and fiscal responsibility - when it's really just another drunk waking up after an enormous bender, bursting into tears and swearing never again.

TOO late - null points.

Edited by iamdamosuzuki, 25 February 2012 - 03:37 PM.

We have got into the habit of admiring colossal bandits, whose opulence is revered by the entire world, yet whose existence, once we stop to examine it, proves to be one long crime repeated ad infinitum, but those same bandits are heaped with glory, honors, and power, their crimes are hallowed by the law of the land, whereas, as far back in history as the eye can see -- and history, as you know, is my business -- everything conspires to show that a venial theft, especially of inglorious foodstuffs, such as bread crusts, ham, or cheese, unfailingly subjects its perpetrator to irreparable opprobium, the automatic dishonor, and inexpiable shame, and this for two reasons, first because the perpetrator of such an offense is usually poor, which in itself connotes basic unworthiness, and secondly because his act implies, as it were, a tacit reproach to the community. - Celine

#26 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,138 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Moved an ISA from Santander a while ago. When doing so the girl asked me was it from Santander. I didn't confirm at first but asked her if they were getting many transfers from Santander. She said they were getting lots of transfers the majority of which were from Santander.

Yes, i had some money with icesave and while obviously got the money back, was still a bit dishearting over the couple of months of waiting. I suspect any UK bank failures will be like Northern Rock and no such waiting will occur.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#27 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Nah, they're all banks these days. It's cool to be a bank... oh, wait....

There are some lawers and PR men from Nationwide here. They are carrying cricket bats. Apparently, they want a word with you about something.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#28 R K

R K

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,809 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

As recently as 35 odd years ago Spain was a fascist dictatorship.

"The problem with capitalism is that eventually you end up with everyone else's money" RK
"We have now entered The Great Rebalancing 2007-20xx" - RK
"Gold will go to $1000, Silver to $18" - RK August 2011
QE £100bn and build 1m council homes - RK
Carney announces the launch of Empire 2.0 - Rise of the Banksters Oct '13

#29 Ash4781

Ash4781

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Santander must have identified some problems in the existing book.

#30 jammo

jammo

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Santander are a bank, right? Why can they not see then that things like christmas can be paid for by all the enormous bonuses everyone gets? Or have they suddenly realised that massive bonuses are actually virtually unique to the bankers.
Politics comes from the Greek (Poli - Many; Tics - Lies)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users