Photo
- - - - -

1 Week To Delete Your Google Browsing History (New Rules After That)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 newbonic

newbonic

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

According to the DM at 3 simple steps to delete your browsing history article, new privacy policies at Google come into effect after March 1 2012 than means it stores your search and browsing history forever, and in detail. And that you've implied your consent to it doing just that by not opting out.

If you sign in and delete your past search history now then they can't store it, and anything after Mar 1 becomes anonymised. I was surprised how detailed my search record was and how far back it went, so I blasted it.

Should be a must for the TFH crew in these parts :P.
"There are only two basic items in the world economy - food and fuel. All the rest are secondary...there is no substitute for energy; the whole edifice of modern life is build upon it." E F Schumacher

#2 Si1

Si1

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,849 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

my google web history appears to not be enabled in the first place - does thi smean I do not need to bother further, do people think??

#3 longtomsilver

longtomsilver

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm lost, what if I've used multiple computers?
10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash - Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash So, what left? Alcohol.

John Baker, Aberdeen 8/10/2011 22:34
http://www.dailymail...n.html#comments

"the world seems a better place when you're wearing beer goggles".

Quote buried in same article from 27 year old female subject painting the town of Cardiff red on a booze fuelled night out.

#4 57percent

57percent

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

More details please?

Is this just if you log into your google account or have a google toolbar?

Are there plans for the govt to start storing our stuff too?

#5 Starla

Starla

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I've done it, as can't do any harm, but I think "they" have enough info with or without google.

Put it this way, 10 years ago I wanted to track down my mum, and asked my Private Dick friend for a favour. I had no date of birth, an address that was 20 years old, and she'd changed her name. He rang me 10 mins later and said "Found her, here's where she lives, here's where she works, you wanna know what she spent on her store cards this month?"

Resistence is futile!
Tell me all about it and start at the end.

#6 Riedquat

Riedquat

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

They've got a search history? How's that done unless you log in to Google (and what's the point of doing that, except that it's been insidiously tied to things like YouTube?) Should be OK; I get assigned a dynamic IP anyway so it's not as if the nosey sods can record me reliably using that.

#7 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,819 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

I've got a couple of accounts with them - interestingly, some were recording my search, others were not.

Have to check again on the 28th - wouldn't surprise me if google is sneaky and reactivates them all again.

I can see this ending in a massive legal court case against google. With class action lawsuits in the US and the EU cracking down on big US tech companies I am surprised they are doing it. Obviously, FB is worrying them.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#8 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,302 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

I guess its dependent on the number of google accounts you have,

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#9 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,034 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I don't think Google works by computer, but by account.

I never sign in to Google unless I need to for my email address for my android phone and then I always make sure I sign out immediately.
Is that sufficient?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest there be any doubt.

No I believe prices will fall and am astounded that a so called Conservative led government could act in such a stupid way. As you can see from today, there are 2,000 HtB applicants and it has been on MSM none stop all day and they make up about 3.5% of a typical months mortgages.

BTL is a good potential way to bankruptcy and yes sometimes I make points to hopefully make people think.

#10 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,819 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

I don't think Google works by computer, but by account.

IP Address apparently.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#11 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

my google web history appears to not be enabled in the first place - does thi smean I do not need to bother further, do people think??

Same here, I just followed the steps but I get the option to turn history on.

untitled.PNG

#12 57percent

57percent

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Same here, I just followed the steps but I get the option to turn history on.

And same here. Not switching it on, what's to gain?

I like the way the internet's gone. Some of these services (especially google) are really useful.
But I do worry about them holding too much stuff and trying to connect things together (this seems even easier to do with smartphones).

I have email (personal and company) with Yahoo, I use facebook (very lightly) and do most other things with Google, which is great, but when you open a contact and it seems to have linked to these things together it gives me an uneasy feeling.

No problem with some of my data being out there and no problem with yahoo/google doing a quick automated search of my emails to try and sell me stuff.
But I do not like the idea of them storing anything written in my emails (even though it's boring) or linking it to facebook, forums etc (still boring, but no-one's business).

As for my browsing history <cough>. Nothing illegal or wrong, but I really wouldn't want it stored anywhere!

#13 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,945 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yes, most of this is a money making thing, so unless they can remotely enable your webcam or something, they have no idea who is using the computer and it would be kinda pointless. I think it only applies if you have a google account.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2379932059ea3cb20dbeb7b26a560074.jpg 

#14 hedgefunded

hedgefunded

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

www.startingpage.com

Simples.

#15 'Bart'

'Bart'

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,421 posts
  • About Me:Mad as hell

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

It depends if you're signed in.

I looked at my search history on my main desktop PC and it showed stuff I'd searched for on my laptop.

I'm signed in to Google on both machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users