47 replies to this topic

#1 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

whoever put warsaw in there might want to explain why most polish kids are coming here...land of milk and honey etc

There's probably plenty of jobs in the main cities, it's everywhere else that's the problem. Plus arbitrage.
"the remarkable result is that under Mrs Thatcher from 1979-90, just as under Tony Blair from 1997-2007, the real value of Housing Equity Withdrawal is larger than the real value of GDP growth"

#2 The Generation Game

The Generation Game

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Why does it talk about emigrating and property investment? Are young people looking to emigrate because all the best properties to flip in the UK have already been flipped, and we need to foister our techniques onto unwitting societies?

#3 Does Commute Abit

Does Commute Abit

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Interesting list. There should be at least one caribbean country in there.

Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago (oil/gas-rich) and Barbados are all worth a look if you can handle the culture change. These countries will be needing a lot of know-how, skills and qualifications in the years ahead that young Brits can offer (education, public service, healthcare, oil industry).

#4 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,403 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Why does it talk about emigrating and property investment? Are young people looking to emigrate because all the best properties to flip in the UK have already been flipped, and we need to foister our techniques onto unwitting societies?

Berlin is a very nice open city....so why then is their property so affordable,why do people there prefer to rent?

....is it because they did not allow a bubble to develop, therefore the people that matter the young, educated and resourceful can afford to stay living in their own country and create future growth and prosperity......you can hardly blame young people from deserting high price property bubble London to seek their fortune elsewhere now can you? ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#5 ska_mna

ska_mna

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Reading with interest. Feeling really stifled here in the UK at the moment and do feel like I gotta get out soon.

Mrs ska_mna has Oz Visa, so could go there tomorrow. But damn it, the Oz bubble is horrendous too. C'mon, burst already aussie bubble and I'm there!

Failing that, Germany perhaps.

EDIT: I'm a coastal-lovin chap, total water sport addict. Anyone got any recommendations?

Edited by ska_mna, 23 February 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#6 swissy_fit

swissy_fit

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Bogota, Colombia

Forget Colombia's reputation for crime and drug-barons. These days it has an improving security situation, huge potential for tourism and economic growth, and Bogota is a vibrant city far from the country's less stable parts. Add to this the attractiveness of the indiginous population and low property prices and you're onto a winner.

So, the writer can't spell and thinks the sh*ggability of the locals is an important factor.
Is this article from Nuts magazine or a broadsheet newspaper? It's hard to tell....
If you want to know what the next political move will be, ask yourself what will suit the banks, and behold, the answer will come to you.

The Credit Crunch :
The logical financial outcome is deflation. The logical political outcome is inflation. (Thanks to Injin 21st Sept 2008)

#7 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Berlin is a very nice open city....so why then is their property so affordable,why do people there prefer to rent?

....is it because they did not allow a bubble to develop, therefore the people that matter the young, educated and resourceful can afford to stay living in their own country and create future growth and prosperity......you can hardly blame young people from deserting high price property bubble London to seek their fortune elsewhere now can you? ;)

Apartment prices rising a lot in Germany but existing home prices falling:

http://www.hypoport....px-hedonic.html

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#8 8 year itch

8 year itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

EDIT: I'm a coastal-lovin chap, total water sport addict. Anyone got any recommendations?

Greece

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#9 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,403 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Greece

...is that good advise? :P

Less can be more.

#10 8 year itch

8 year itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

...is that good advise? :P

what's that phrase about being brave when others a fearful?

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#11 FaFa!

FaFa!

だいてほしいな

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertypicturegalleries/9087305/Top-twenty-places-to-emigrate-for-young-people.html?image=18

warsaw,phonhm penh,bangkok,prague,monetivdeo,mexico city,hamburg,manila,dubai,auckland,buenois aaires,lima,shanghai,bogota,vienna,panama city,sydney,jakarta,berlin,malta.

whoever put warsaw in there might want to explain why most polish kids are coming here...land of milk and honey etc

Jakarta? Manila? Put down the sodding crackpipe....Bland, boring, polluted, one big traffic jam and no subway or public transport. I'd pay money not to live in Jakarta. The Philippines has beautiful islands and beaches - true, but you won't see much of that in Manila. Choke on the fumes, get deafened by the endless blaring on the car horn.
Check me out on Youtube -
お願いファーファね!

#12 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,403 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

what's that phrase about being brave when others a fearful?

There is no such thing as bravery; only degrees of fear.

~John Wainwright

Less can be more.

#13 SHERWICK

SHERWICK

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,469 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Bogota, Colombia

Forget Colombia's reputation for crime and drug-barons.

Sorry, I can't.

The mighty neo liberal steam roller that crushed all before it from the 1980s to the beginning of the new millennium has morphed in recent years into a Charlie Carioli clown car that now can not go two yards without loud bangs, smoke pouring out of the engine and the doors dropping off. (by stormymonday_2011, posted amidst the Barclays Libor crisis on 02/07/2012)

Polster: why did you vote labour?
Labour voter: because I hate Margaret Thatcher
Polster: how old were you when she left Downing st?
Labour voter: 3
(by Robo1968, posted 10/05/2010)

From BBC HYS 15/05/2009:
"Last year, my MP's second home claim was 5,000 more than my total salary and now I find out that he's trying to charge me for cleaning his swimming pool!"

"Whatever your argument it's wrong." bendy, 21/02/2014

#14 SHERWICK

SHERWICK

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,469 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

MY VIEW on whether or not good places to live:

warsaw - CRAP
phonhm penh - CRAP
bangkok - CRAP
prague - CRAP
monetivdeo - CRAP
mexico city - CRAP
hamburg - GOOD
manila - CRAP
dubai - UTTER CRAP
auckland - EARTHQUAKES & TOO REMOTE FROM ANY WESTERN CULTURE
buenois aaires - LOVELY
lima - CRAP
shanghai - GREAT FOR A FEW YEARS
bogota - CRAP
vienna - AH, VIENNA!
panama city - CRAP
sydney - BUBBLE + FULL OF AUSSIES
jakarta - CRAP
berlin - NICE
malta - CRAP
The mighty neo liberal steam roller that crushed all before it from the 1980s to the beginning of the new millennium has morphed in recent years into a Charlie Carioli clown car that now can not go two yards without loud bangs, smoke pouring out of the engine and the doors dropping off. (by stormymonday_2011, posted amidst the Barclays Libor crisis on 02/07/2012)

Polster: why did you vote labour?
Labour voter: because I hate Margaret Thatcher
Polster: how old were you when she left Downing st?
Labour voter: 3
(by Robo1968, posted 10/05/2010)

From BBC HYS 15/05/2009:
"Last year, my MP's second home claim was 5,000 more than my total salary and now I find out that he's trying to charge me for cleaning his swimming pool!"

"Whatever your argument it's wrong." bendy, 21/02/2014

#15 Diver Dan

Diver Dan

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

MY VIEW on whether or not good places to live:

warsaw - CRAP
phonhm penh - CRAP
bangkok - CRAP
prague - CRAP
monetivdeo - CRAP
mexico city - CRAP
hamburg - GOOD
manila - CRAP
dubai - UTTER CRAP
auckland - EARTHQUAKES & TOO REMOTE FROM ANY WESTERN CULTURE
buenois aaires - LOVELY
lima - CRAP
shanghai - GREAT FOR A FEW YEARS
bogota - CRAP
vienna - AH, VIENNA!
panama city - CRAP
sydney - BUBBLE + FULL OF AUSSIES
jakarta - CRAP
berlin - NICE
malta - CRAP

What have you against Prague? I found it to be a lovely place with fairly cheap places away from the obvious tourist traps. They eat cake for breakfast there. What more could you want????
That's it, I'm getting a wall-safe.

I'd be happy if I were right but I'll settle for being Less Wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users