House Price Crash Forum

11,000 Hidden New Builds A Year

jm419

HOLA441
HOLA442

I wouldnt disagree with the premise . “We believe that periods of rampant house price inflation have more often been caused by over-supply of capital rather than under-supply of housing – the northern buy-to-let boom of the last decade being a prime example,” Mr Stewart added.

As we have said many times on this forum 'everyone may want a Porsche, but if no one will lend them the money, its irrelevant'

Obviously we dont have thousands living on the streets so there isnt a shortage at crisis point...although we do IMO have thousands of families in substandard housing, thousands/millions in their 20s/30s either housesharing or living with parents, thousands having to commute obscene and expensive distances from more affordable dormitory towns, and the emerging problem of shanty towns in high immigrant areas - we'd have to go a long way before we ended up with Spanish/US/Irish ghost towns...i certainly think there is little risk of that.

But the article isnt exactly packed with info, simply writing...

. It says 11,000 “hidden” homes are built every year that are not officially recorded in construction figures but are picked up by tax authorities.

Doesnt really sound convincing. Could just be an article to appeal to the NIMBY readership of the Telegraph.

Edited by Executive Sadman

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Short article.

This comment made me laugh :lol:

Housing bubble is a giant black hole. It is now sucking in trillions of our money in various forms without any hope of that money being put to some good use ever. Nothing can escape this giant black hole. Nothing. Not even light.

HOLA447
However, the Collins Stewart research claims the UK has been building double the rate of population growth for 20 years and is in line with the main European countries. It says 11,000 “hidden” homes are built every year that are not officially recorded in construction figures but are picked up by tax authorities.

Oh silly me. So apparently enough new homes have been built all along. It's just that they were.... "hidden".

I give this journo an F for content, but an A+ for creativity :rolleyes:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Needed:240,000

built:120,000

shortfall:120,000

but wait! those 11,000 secret builds make all the difference.

they must be HUGE!.

240k needed? By whom? the FTBs who can't get a mortgage, or those wanting to take advantage of current low interest rates and expand their BTL speculation portfolios?!?

It's funny that when during the boom, the scarcity argument was routinely debunked on this site, but now gets reinforced to suit the anti planning/pro building argument.

HOLA4411

240k needed? By whom? the FTBs who can't get a mortgage, or those wanting to take advantage of current low interest rates and expand their BTL speculation portfolios?!?

It's funny that when during the boom, the scarcity argument was routinely debunked on this site, but now gets reinforced to suit the anti planning/pro building argument.

+1

HOLA4412

It's like the 11,000 families on Oldham's council house waiting list (Who'll still be on it when they offer 50 'Oldham' Mortgages)

They're not homeless are they. Oldham isn't wall to wall families on the streets.

its 11000 people who'd like the security and cheaper rents of a council house.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I can see the point they are trying to make about our house building rates vs population growth though. We were building at an annual rate of 150,000 new homes plus for many years before the financial crisis. When you add all the extensions built on existing properties into the equation we must have added accommodation for a fair few million people in the last 20 years.

I’d always assumed this was why we’d managed to absorb the biggest mass migration in our history without any discernible increase in rental prices.

HOLA4415

I can see the point they are trying to make about our house building rates vs population growth though. We were building at an annual rate of 150,000 new homes plus for many years before the financial crisis. When you add all the extensions built on existing properties into the equation we must have added accommodation for a fair few million people in the last 20 years.

I’d always assumed this was why we’d managed to absorb the biggest mass migration in our history without any discernible increase in rental prices.

I thought they went in at a higher density (a 3 bed would become a 3 family house).

HOLA4416

From 2001-2010 the population of England grew 5.6%, while the housing stock grew 7.0%

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/statistics/pdf/2039750.pdf

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pop-estimate/population-estimates-for-uk--england-and-wales--scotland-and-northern-ireland/mid-2010-population-estimates/index.html

Looking at the Detailed RPI CPI tables

My linkhttp://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/taxonomy/index.html?nscl=Retail+Prices+Index

Table 30b Jan01 - Jan11 RPI-X has risen 35.9%

Table 38 Jan01 - Jan11 Rent has risen 28.7%

As a footnote, non shop services have risen 67% and shop services by 50%!

HOLA4417

some people don't get sarcasm then..

HOLA4418