37 replies to this topic

#1 vman7

vman7

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

thinking of putting in a bid for a house. its a 4 bed semi-detached in newtownabbey area. its up for 175k and the rateable value is 145k

Any ideas on what i should go in at for my first price?

#2 Wig

Wig

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Open with 107k and they should be grateful for that too. BUYERS MARKET!! B)

#3 Bergy100

Bergy100

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

If it's the house I suspect you are talking about (5K recent reduction?) I wouldn't hold out too much hope of having 107k accepted when vendors only reduced it by a meagre 5k a couple of months ago....

The problem with this development is the developer is still crazily asking 150k for new 3 bed semis which you couldn't swing a cat in - which may set vendor expectations higher than they should be.

There are also a lot of rental properties in this development, something to be aware of.

Of course, it may be somewhere else entirely. ;)

#4 vman7

vman7

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Sounds very simialr to the one im talking about. What do you think of the area?

Is somewhere with plenty of rentals on the market not a good idea to be looking?

first time buying a house so need all the advice i can get

#5 Son of Taeper

Son of Taeper

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

thinking of putting in a bid for a house. its a 4 bed semi-detached in newtownabbey area. its up for 175k and the rateable value is 145k

Any ideas on what i should go in at for my first price?

I'm long past individual reqs but I still do it on occasion if a post gets my interest.

Need a postcode b4 I can start.
That would be the full postcode.
PM me once you posted it on HPC as I tend not to chase the boards as I used to.
I'm still pretty good at research, even go the house owners dogs name from a property over 8,000 miles away once and managed to find out the man of the house was out for 6 months as he was a submariner and let slip his ship name.
The views expressed in my posts are my own based upon what I read on other information supplied by other HPC members.
These should not be used a a definitive answer to any posts I attempt to answer.

#6 2buyornot2buy

2buyornot2buy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Tell me this isn't Aylesbury?

#7 vman7

vman7

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

it is indead

Am i making a mistake?

#8 2buyornot2buy

2buyornot2buy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

it is indead

Am i making a mistake?

In a word... Yes. I think you are. Is it from the developer or private sale?

#9 2buyornot2buy

2buyornot2buy

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Nevermind I found it. No I dont think it is worth anwhere near that price. Besides I think you would be lucky to get a bank value anywhere near that for a mortgage.

#10 Desperada

Desperada

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

Sorry to butt in and tell me if I should create a new thread rather than add to this one, I was just reading this and since the other users seem to know the Newtownabbey area I was hoping you might give me some advice too. I have been a long time lurker and finally sold my own house last year, this is my first post so forgive me if I ramble.....

We are now renting and didn't intend to buy for a bit longer in the hope prices would continue to fall. We have been persuaded onto the market again by a house which is at asking price of 175 - over 3000sq ft, rateable value 105K but set before extensive renovations were completed. We offered 148K which was rejected, then 160K last week, which was also rejected. Today I got a call to say there is another offer of 161K. Is there any way to verify this offer? Any advice much appreciated...

#11 vman7

vman7

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

i agree that it isnt worth 175k but are you now saying that the area isnt great either?

175k for a 3000sq ft house!?!? where is that?

#12 Desperada

Desperada

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Not telling in case you bid for it!!! Only kidding!!! It's near Ballynure.

#13 vman7

vman7

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Dont worry i wont be bidding on it. for one i would be able to stretch to 175k and second i dont think i could afford the heating bills of a 3000 sq foot house

still cant see it on proertynews though.....

#14 Bergy100

Bergy100

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

it is indead

Am i making a mistake?

I would tend to agree with 2buyornot on ths one, especially @170K, and I've viewed these houses; they are nice to be fair. It was only when I saw it was Aylesbury I realised why it wasn't on my shortlist as I'm looking a 4 bed as well. :P

Since you asked, I would avoid for the following reasons....and include Mayfield in this as well.

Too many rentals in the development - as an owner you don't really want to be living beside a house that's rented for obvious reasons (no offence to those currently renting)

Pipe bomb incidents around Mayfield the neighbouring development - google it.

Heard rumours of drug dealings in kiddie playgrounds in Mayfield and a colleague claims he suffered intimidation due to his religion and moved out.of Mayfield.

Basically, it's a posher New Lodge....

I'm not sure what these would be worth now but as a comparison I do know the development Rogan Wood had much nicer houses and the developer sold 4 semis @165K each approx 2 years ago now. Based on that I would estimate going in around 135-140K but I would say it would be knocked back pretty quickly given the dev is still trying to flog 3 bed boxes for 149,950.

#15 Desperada

Desperada

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

The size is due to outhouses that have been converted, the rest of the house isn't overly big....Re Aylesbury I wouldn't be too keen due to sher size of the development.

Apart from than I heard that the majority of Newtownabbey's housebreakers live there! :blink: But that is total hearsay so if anyone reading is a resident please don't attack me!

Anyways, any thoughts on the veracity of my alternative bidders??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users