#76 Lepista

Lepista

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts
  • About Me:A 60% falls from peak bear.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

Is this chap mis-representing how much he's actualloy getting?

Income = 20k
Benefits = 20k, however this is equivalent to something around 30k as a take-home salary

Therefore total income is somewhere nearer 50k, with his disposableincome at something nearer 30k total.

(that's not including the employer contributions, or the empoyer contributions that have been 'missed' by paying benefits...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing sedates rationality like large doses of effortless money. After a heady experience of that kind, normally sensible behaviour drift into behaviour akin to that of Cinderella at the ball. They know that overstaying the festivities...will eventually bring on pumpkins and mice. But they nevertheless hate to miss a single minute of what is a helluva party. Therefore, the giddy participants all plan to leave just seconds before midnight. There's a problem, though: They are dancing in a room in which the clocks have no hands."

My favorite post ever:
By Ruffles the Guinea Pig

#77 silver surfer

silver surfer

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

Stick your savings in a SIPP or other pension and they don't count as savings for benefits though ( and they'll even add another 20% to it for you).

Obviously you can't then touch it until retirement age.

Correct, but retirement age is 55.

#78 silver surfer

silver surfer

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

Isn't the benefits system just an acknowledgement of the facts:

1. The cost of living has risen beyond the reach of the average salary.
2. Without large helpings of benefits there would be a lot of poverty and a long hard recession/depression.
3. Benefits are needed to subsidize high house prices. Average wage of 20k doesn't get or pay a mortgage. Add in 20k of benefits=40k=no problem.

Average voters feel entitled to an above average life style and below average voters feel entitled to an average life style.

#79 7 Year Itch

7 Year Itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

The trouble I have is that its like house prices, the day I decide to play the game is the day this mutha turns and the process of reverting to mean begins in earnest.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#80 Dorkins

Dorkins

Anatool Shilletsky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yes, but it is bizarre that the best way to access these benefits is to have as many children as possible. Benefits don't seem designed to help poor people on low incomes, they are breeding subsidies accessible to people with plenty of wealth as long as it is in the form of housing equity.

#81 tomandlu

tomandlu

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

I must admit I'm very puzzled as to the motives of the bbc. Have they deliberately picked examples that highlight the excesses of our benefits system, or is this the best they could come up with in terms of eliciting sympathy? If the former, how does this square with the commonly-expressed opinion on this site that the bbc are a bunch of commies or something?

It's very hard to tell from reading it what the intent is - it's defiantly neutral.
Buy my book "All the Way Home"

#82 Tonkers

Tonkers

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts
  • About Me:Music and that

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

The trouble I have is that its like house prices, the day I decide to play the game is the day this mutha turns and the process of reverting to mean begins in earnest.

:lol: +1

#83 CrashedOutAndBurned

CrashedOutAndBurned

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

2. Without large helpings of benefits there would be a lot of poverty and a long hard recession/depression.
3. Benefits are needed to subsidize high house prices. Average wage of 20k doesn't get or pay a mortgage. Add in 20k of benefits=40k=no problem.

Yep. Don't get the hate for this guy. He's got a disabled kid and works a full-time proper job. A middle of the road white collar worker could have had the same lifestyle on one income without a big benefits package a generation or two ago. The system's wrong, not this father.
Consume The Mainstream Media http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

#84 VeryMeanReversion

VeryMeanReversion

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

I've just had a look at working/child tax credit tables. I have two kids so in my case:

Income Handout
------- ---------
20,000 4,755
25,000 2,705
30,000 655

So the marginal rate is 2000 in benefits lost per 5000 in income gains. (40%)

So with income/NI included, your marginal rate is around 65%.

I'm getting more and more tempted to salary sacrifice even more and more of my salary to get some of this free cash, use the 25% tax-fee amount to clear the mortgage at 55 and retire early.

I always wondered why people on a third of my salary were doing so well.
"A pound is just a promise to give you another one."

#85 opt_out

opt_out

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

"Benefits are a good thing, and if society can afford it, they should be paid."

And therein lies the problem.

#86 Dorkins

Dorkins

Anatool Shilletsky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Wasting almost 6,000 a year on the kiddeee fyddlers organisation (i.e. the church).

It gets better... Presumably the church is a registered charity which is able to claim Gift Aid from the government on its donations. What little income tax Mr Ade pays through his job will end up in the hands of the church anyway.

#87 tomandlu

tomandlu

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yep. Don't get the hate for this guy. He's got a disabled kid and works a full-time proper job. A middle of the road white collar worker could have had the same lifestyle on one income without a big benefits package a generation or two ago. The system's wrong, not this father.

Up to a point I'd agree. However, having enough disposable income to give a fairly hefty chunk to the church and make early payments on his mortgage rather crosses the line...
Buy my book "All the Way Home"

#88 opt_out

opt_out

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

It's just struck me that if the tax-credit benefits are the same for employed or self-employed, then there will be people out there who get:

20k net earnings after tax
20k benefits
20k cash in hand.

but you won't find them volunteering their story in the newspapers.

this thought may or may not have been influenced by having the plasterer in today.

#89 ingermany

ingermany

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Absolutely agree. there is no cause whatsoever to vilify those who are just following the rules that have been drafted by the political establishment. In any case, the real"beneficiaries" are owners of land and property. The benefits keep the property values up by ensuring that families on low incomes can service large mortgages. The money is being siphoned from the young, the single, and those in rented accommodation and being fed to those who have property portfolios. The actual claimants are just blameless intermediaries in the process of theft.

#90 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Yes, but it is bizarre that the best way to access these benefits is to have as many children as possible. Benefits don't seem designed to help poor people on low incomes, they are breeding subsidies accessible to people with plenty of wealth as long as it is in the form of housing equity.

Breeding potential future taxpayers is rewarded?
Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and it's banks. The UK's Governbankment does policies to enrich bankers at the expense of the public. The more money people are encouraged to borrow, the more money bankers make.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR and interest rates swaps are now being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses.

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users