102 replies to this topic

#16 Damik

Damik

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

I would not wish a disabled child on anyone, it would be difficult to determine their standard of life in monetary terms alone. However I would like to know how that CTC is split

forget the disabled kid; they would get the same money if they have 4 healthy kids ...

#17 Warwick-Watcher

Warwick-Watcher

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Benefit families speak out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16876486

Father-of-five Ade, like Raymond, is happy to detail his income and expenditure. But unlike unemployed Raymond, who has not worked for more than a decade, Ade works as a full-time systems analyst, on take-home pay of 20,592.

But because he and his wife Christine have a large family, including a child with autism, the couple are also entitled to a range of benefits that boosts their income to 40,874 a year.

Like millions of other British families they fund their lifestyle on a mixture of wages and benefits. And that means - despite Ade's relatively modest income (just above the UK median salary) - they are able to run two cars and take a low-cost annual holiday with their children.

The family's biggest outgoing is the mortgage on their home, a three-bedroom end-of-terrace. But, says Ade: "One day we will own it outright so it's not wasted money."

Ade says: "We live a very easy life. We are pretty happy with what we have."

Ade says he has no problem at all with claiming benefits that almost double his salary.

Ade used to work for the Benefits Agency in London and handled dozens of claims every year.

"Once I handled a claim from someone who had not worked in 18 years. It was then I decided to leave the agency," he says

Easy life - too right - breeding for income until you hit the jackpot and have a disabled (autism ?) kid. Benefits cap should be 26k incl net salary.

Wasting almost 6,000 a year on the kiddeee fyddlers organisation (i.e. the church). Take that off him - after all it's easy come easy go :)

#18 Self Employed Youth

Self Employed Youth

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

I am interested to learn how much extra they get in child tax credit due to the disability of the son. Anyone know how to work it out?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...hild+tax+credit

2950 for a disabled child pa, + a further 1190 if they are severely disabled.

Now, consider the fall in birth rate to younger mothers and the rise in the birth rate to older mothers. Consider the increase in the use of IVF, consider the increased likelihood of birth defects in older mothers and those using IVF. Consider the increasing amounts of disabled children being born to these older mothers. Consider the cost, but also consider the health of the future society.

Here is a quote from Polybius over 2200 years ago...

The fact is that the people of Hellas had entered the false path of ostentation, avarice and laziness, and were therefore becoming unwilling to marry, or, if they did marry, to bring up the children born to them; the majority were only willing to bring up at most one or two, in order to leave them wealthy and to spoil them in their childhood; and in consequence of all this the evil had been spreading rapidly before it was observed.

Where there are families of one or two children, of whom war claims one and disease the other for its victim, it is an evident and inevitable consequence that households should be left desolate and that states, precisely like beehives, should gradually lose their reserves and sink into impotence.

On this subject there is no need whatsoever to inquire of the gods as to how we are to be saved from the cancer. The plain man will answer that, first and foremost, we must save ourselves, either by changing our obsession or alternatively by making it illegal not to bring up every child that is born.

Edited by Seasonally Employed Youth, 21 February 2012 - 02:20 PM.

Have I not reason to lament what man has mas made of man?

Initially 'Unemployed Youth'
Then 'Formerly Unemployed Youth'
Then 'Unemployed Again Youth'
Hopefully soon to be 'Employed Again Youth' and not long after that I'll be eligible for working tax credits, if not I'll at least get adult rate dole and maybe car insurance will be potentially affordable!

#19 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,877 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Perhaps they should move house. Or even to Hull.

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe."

#20 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,631 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

forget the disabled kid; they would get the same money if they have 4 healthy kids ...

Citation?

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#21 VeryMeanReversion

VeryMeanReversion

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

so you have to earn 60k pa to have same standard of life as somebody, who is earning 20k pa

Am I the only one who thinks it is wrong ???

My salary is just over 60K and I've found it's pointless to earn anything above 44K so dump the excess into pension using salary sacrifice with the company contributing their NI savings. I can then keep the child benefit under the 2013 rules (1700 net). My calculations show I can give up around 20K gross and get back 16K net. This lowers my effective (income/NI/benefit adjusted) marginal rate from 60+% to 20%.

I've done evening contract work in the past but if I do just one hour (from April 2012), I will lose the 1700 child benefit.
"A pound is just a promise to give you another one."

#22 8 year itch

8 year itch

I am not an INTJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,631 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...hild+tax+credit

2950 for a disabled child pa, + a further 1190 if they are severely disabled.

Now, consider the fall in birth rate to younger mothers and the rise in the birth rate to older mothers. Consider the increase in the use of IVF, consider the increased likelihood of birth defects in older mothers and those using IVF. Consider the increasing amounts of disabled children being born to these older mothers. Consider the cost, but also consider the health of the future society.

Here is a quote from Polybius over 2200 years ago...
[/i][/size][/font][/color]

Thanks, I find Welfarese particularly obtuse.

Means that those differing incomes do balance out. Oh the choice to be poor with many kids or supporting yourself with few kids. They think its all over, it is now.

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#23 richc

richc

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Easy life - too right - breeding for income until you hit the jackpot and have a disabled (autism ?) kid. Benefits cap should be 26k incl net salary.

Wasting almost 6,000 a year on the kiddeee fyddlers organisation (i.e. the church). Take that off him - after all it's easy come easy go :)

6,000 a year in tithes to some lunatic fundamentalist "church". I'd honestly prefer to know that my money was going towards cheap booze and cigarettes, to be honest.

#24 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

This time round the BBC have disabled the comments! Posted Image

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#25 Dorkins

Dorkins

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,630 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Speaking of which, it says in the article that families in receipt of DLA will not be subject to the 26k benefits cap, creating a rather unpleasant incentive...

#26 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,082 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Speaking of which, it says in the article that families in receipt of DLA will not be subject to the 26k benefits cap, creating a rather unpleasant incentive...

DIdn't someone coin it rather well recently:

"To think people used to abort babies like that... "
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#27 Self Employed Youth

Self Employed Youth

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

DIdn't someone coin it rather well recently:

"To think people used to abort babies like that... "

That was me Posted Image

On my mothers side of the family her brother has just had IVF twins, one disabled, grandchildren now hitting 30, 35 even without having had any children. On my fathers side, grandchildren having healthy children in their twenties.
Have I not reason to lament what man has mas made of man?

Initially 'Unemployed Youth'
Then 'Formerly Unemployed Youth'
Then 'Unemployed Again Youth'
Hopefully soon to be 'Employed Again Youth' and not long after that I'll be eligible for working tax credits, if not I'll at least get adult rate dole and maybe car insurance will be potentially affordable!

#28 Damik

Damik

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

based on the fact that almost a half of the UK sociaty is dependent on tax credits/benefits I do not see any possibility of democratic change ...

#29 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,561 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

so, if at all true, we have a private sector worker now paying tax, but not enough to cover what he gets, so we have 100% wealth destruction in this case.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#30 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

so, if at all true, we have a private sector worker now paying tax, but not enough to cover what he gets, so we have 100% wealth destruction in this case.

That's where immigration comes in. As more people in the UK realise full time work doesn't pay and reduce their hours to claim benefits, they become net takers from the state instead of givers. So we need more immigrants to come in and start working to increase the tax revenues. Someone posted a graph the other day of the UK employed dropping but immigrant employment taking up the slack.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users