House Price Crash Forum

Westfield Expansion Plans

crash2006

HOLA441

Westfield expansion plans

"Much of the scheme comprises high-rise luxury apartments and most will be unaffordable to even wealthy local residents and is clearly targeted at investors or those able to pay city centre prices," he said.

Seem like the conservative policy we dont want British to be able to afford housing, a Borough more interested in creating shopping centers rather than homes for people to live in.

http://www.fulhamchr...82029-30335649/

Edited by crash2006

HOLA442
HOLA443

Sounds eminently sensible to me. Turning Shepherd's Bush into a place that the wealthy would want to inhabit takes pressure off the Fulhams and Putneys of London and will improve the overall quality of housing stock in west London.

It pushs people into other boroughs, reduces the number of homes in the area, increases pollution levels.the problem is that they are doing the same in other areas of the borough, yet they keep telling everyone about social responsibility etc.. yet they themselves respect their own rules.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA444
HOLA445

And an extra 1,522 homes reduces the number of homes how exactly?

well they will take down the homes that are there already, how else are they going to get free land in central london.when they say they are building x amount of homes plus shopping center were are they getting the land from.

The same thing in the other part of the same borough bring down 16000 homes and building 6000 homes which 80% are none affordable, kicking out the poor from those 16000 homes.

Gone are the days of a mix social group in areas, they are creating large us style gettos in london.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA446
HOLA447

well they will take down the homes that are there already, how else are they going to get free land in central london.when they say they are building x amount of homes plus shopping center were are they getting the land from.

The same thing in the other part of the same borough bring down 16000 homes and building 6000 homes which 80% are none affordable, kicking out the poor from those 16000 homes.

Gone are the days of a mix social group in areas, they are creating large us style gettos in london.

Actually, there's a fair bit of space to the north of Westfield, and I imagine they're going to build on that.

I'm fairly neutral - London has seen an orgy of 'luxury' flat-building over the past 12 years or so. I just wish someone would build something where families can live...

HOLA448

This is the site. I don't see many houses that need to be demolished.

141jv40.jpg

you are missing the flats on both sides H&F Council also recognises that many people on council housing estates do not have access to the same life opportunities as others do. We want to break down the barriers that can lead to unemployment, poverty and poor health by creating mixed communities where everyone has the same chance to move up in life.

The council's preferred way forward is to consider rebuilding phased redevelopment of White City estate, Batman Close and Wood Lane estate over the next 15-20 years to ensure that residents benefit from the highest quality housing with a greater range of housing options.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA449
HOLA4410

141jv40.jpg

Heh - once helped out organising a party in one of those warehouses in the '80s. Couldn't work out why there were pools of odd fluorescent green liquid and a scattering of boxes marked 'ACME'. A couple of months later, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" came out and all was explained...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

its about making the borough a majority conservative borough.

In that case they should concentrate on transforming the other side of the road where the BBC is located... :P

But I see your point, conservatives don't need jobs, they all live off the profits of their land ownership.

---

Edited by awake_eagle

HOLA4414

Exactly, I mean who needs real businesses and work places when you can just live off the profits from flipping luxury apartments to the Russians and Chinese... :blink:

Will come in quite handy for the parents of those Chinese students who study out of Imperial West.

Keep an eye on your child and investment at the same time.

Meanwhile, for those of lesser means, the future's not so bright.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

You sound like a character from the League of Gentlemen.

"This is a scummy borough for scummy people. We'll have no affluence here!"

it about council land being sold off for mail parks etc.. destroying 100 homes just to build 50 homes, increasing the pressure and demand on homes.

HOLA4418

141jv40.jpg

Correct, it's a bunch of fairly hum-drum industrial premises.

The new flats will also include a substantial % of 'affordable' and social rented; alongside s106 payments that will contribute to local costs. Also the Council tax will go to the LA rather than central government.

Seems like a good news story increasing housing density in an urban environment with improved transport links.

HOLA4419

There's a brilliant comment on this discussion - http://shepherds-bush.blogspot.com/2011/12/westfield-expansion-consultation.html

I've got to say something here, I've lived in The Bush all my life, born in 1933. Every time someone tried to build something there's been a load of do gooders up in arms about it, most of them middle class people from elsewhere to my mind. Let me tell you that this place has never been so good as it is now and that's due to big investments such as westfields and the bbc who have brought in money and jobs.

..I remember when they built the BBC and a load of people said it was a modern building that wouldn't fit in ..... and now they're trying to stop them knocking it down. ...You cant stop progress you can only slow it down, but what is the point. I wish theyd built westfields back in the 40s and 50s when we really needed it.

The only thing they didn't complain about was the giant council tower blocks by the roundabout and they have to be the ugliest things for miles areound. Let me tell you Shepherds Bush was in a terrible state once and I would not want to return to those days. Bring in these new buildings and let people have prosperity, it beats the old days by a long chalk I can tell you.

HOLA4420

In that case they should concentrate on transforming the other side of the road where the BBC is located... :P

But I see your point, conservatives don't need jobs, they all live off the profits of their land ownership.

---

That's moving up to bright red Salford. The only risk to that strategy I suppose is that they might choose to live across the river in Trafford.