Photo
- - - - -

Rightmove Asking Price Index Out Tomorrow (Mon)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 satch

satch

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

'Joy for Richmond Home Owners as prices soar by 16% in one month.'

So they will be 200% more expensive by the end of the year. Buy now or miss out.
George Osborne July 2013; 'I don't think in the current environment a house price bubble is going to emerge in 18 months or three years.' Mark Carney September 2013; ' ... there has been an improvement in prices and activity (talking about the housing market) Osborne to cabinet as quoted in the Indie October 2013; "Hopefully we will get a little housing boom & everyone will be happy"

Osborne says; “Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed.”

George Osborne December 2008; “Savers and pensioners are the forgotten victims … They are innocent bystanders and it’s simply not good enough for the Government to walk on by."

In his 1997 Budget speech, Gordon Brown said, "I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future". He went on to say that he did not want a return to "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980's and 1990's.

#62 Unsafe As Houses

Unsafe As Houses

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

The increased interest is probably due to the stamp duty holiday ending. Agents see some slight interest so value slightly higher. I don't think many vendors ring up an agent and tell them the price to put it on at. They just go with what the 'property experts' tell them. So I suppose you could use it to gauge agent sentiment but even then it's quite misleading without a seasonal adjustment.

Yes, I agree with all of that - Agent + seller sentiment with no seasonal adjustment of data to take into consideration.

Seller sentiment will have some bearing - everyone's a 'property expert' nowadays :P

Edited by Unsafe As Houses, 21 February 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#63 mrpleasant

mrpleasant

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Just checked my 'barometer' postcode in the South East on Rightmove and... two decent price drops today and two sold STCs going back to Available. Obviously the 'good news' hasn't reached there just yet.

#64 rantnrave

rantnrave

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

I have another theory about this ridiculous jump in asking prices.
We're coming up for 5 years since peak prices.
How many people bought at peak using liar loans, self cert and interest only mortgages. Lots will have had 5 year deals so now are facing remortgaging without their previous access to easy money and a nice dose of negative equity to go with it.
For many it will be a last ditch attempt to pass the debt to somebody else before the bank takes their house off them.

Good insight for a first post!

#65 snugasabug

snugasabug

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

First time poster, long time lurked ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users