124 replies to this topic

#1 satch

satch

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

A shortage of private accommodation in London could mean homeless people are moved as far away as Hull, where rents are cheaper, housing charities are warning "The fact that councils may be considering making use of these powers to offer people homes away from their local areas – potentially having to uproot families from schools, communities and jobs – is testament to the scale of our housing crisis," Campbell Robb, the chief executive of Shelter, said.

One Comment ; This 'initiative' is barbaric - It's creating social division, exclusion and a refugee crisis. A neoliberal nightmare.

No mention of private renters having to move with two months notice even if they have paid their rent on time to their BTL guardian reading LL.
George Osborne July 2013; 'I don't think in the current environment a house price bubble is going to emerge in 18 months or three years.' Mark Carney September 2013; ' ... there has been an improvement in prices and activity (talking about the housing market) Osborne to cabinet as quoted in the Indie October 2013; "Hopefully we will get a little housing boom & everyone will be happy"

Osborne says; “Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed.”

George Osborne December 2008; “Savers and pensioners are the forgotten victims … They are innocent bystanders and it’s simply not good enough for the Government to walk on by."

In his 1997 Budget speech, Gordon Brown said, "I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future". He went on to say that he did not want a return to "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980's and 1990's.

#2 SHERWICK

SHERWICK

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

A shortage of private accommodation in London could mean homeless people are moved as far away as Hull, where rents are cheaper, housing charities are warning "The fact that councils may be considering making use of these powers to offer people homes away from their local areas – potentially having to uproot families from schools, communities and jobs – is testament to the scale of our housing crisis," Campbell Robb, the chief executive of Shelter, said.

One Comment ; This 'initiative' is barbaric - It's creating social division, exclusion and a refugee crisis. A neoliberal nightmare.

No mention of private renters having to move with two months notice even if they have paid their rent on time to their BTL guardian reading LL.

Sounds to me like the housing charities are warning that the homeless will soon have accomodation? :blink:
The mighty neo liberal steam roller that crushed all before it from the 1980s to the beginning of the new millennium has morphed in recent years into a Charlie Carioli clown car that now can not go two yards without loud bangs, smoke pouring out of the engine and the doors dropping off. (by stormymonday_2011, posted amidst the Barclays Libor crisis on 02/07/2012)

Polster: why did you vote labour?
Labour voter: because I hate Margaret Thatcher
Polster: how old were you when she left Downing st?
Labour voter: 3
(by Robo1968, posted 10/05/2010)

From BBC HYS 15/05/2009:
"Last year, my MP's second home claim was £5,000 more than my total salary and now I find out that he's trying to charge me for cleaning his swimming pool!"

"Whatever your argument it's wrong." bendy, 21/02/2014

#3 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

They can go to Hull as far as I'm concerned. (Guardian readers that is.)

Edited by thecrashingisles, 18 February 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#4 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

http://www.guardian....orced-move-hull

Forced, I mean forced to live in Hull! :blink:

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#5 mfp123

mfp123

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb/18/london-homeless-forced-move-hull

Forced, I mean forced to live in Hull! :blink:

i wouldnt wish that on anyone.

theyre already homeless, what a way to kick them when theyre down.

#6 cock-eyed octopus

cock-eyed octopus

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm sure they'd be able to come back to visit friends & relations though.

Then they could say they'd been to Hull & back.
If the doors of perception were cleans'd, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.

Wm. Blake: The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

"I've fallen off my chair, Brian"

J. Cleese et al.

#7 StainlessSteelCat

StainlessSteelCat

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have sympathy for anyone being uprooted from the place and community they know, of course but unfortunately that's the situation every private renter faces (although admittedly not usually as great a distance). In the past, I've avoided getting involved with the local community because frankly I've had no idea if I'd still be living there six months later. A cohesive Big Society this does not make. This is particularly true of London where even a mile or so can take you out of the catchment of a particular community or service.

There is an element of social cleansing about this initiative which is a bit unappealing though. Hull is other people, eh?

Edited by StainlessSteelCat, 18 February 2012 - 10:26 PM.

All of my posts are a work of fiction. Any resemblance between real life entities, events or persons (living or dead) mentioned within them is purely coincidental.

Typozay Find auction spelling mistakes

#8 jane58

jane58

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

OK Hull isn't for everyone, but if you can't pay your way, tough cookies. Sorry, that sounds harsh, but it's life. get ovrr it!!

There are places far worse than Hull to be dealing with .....

#9 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

There is an element of social cleansing about this initiative which is a bit unappealing though. Hull is other people, eh?

There is indeed. I cut my monthly outgoings down from £1600 a month, to less than £600 a month by moving to a "declining Northern town." (not Hull). I've been social cleansed!

I shall certainly be filing a case at ECHR, demanding a council flat in Westminster next week!

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#10 lulu

lulu

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

It is an interesting argument. I have many friends who have moved south to get jobs in London. None of them have been able to move to central London as they simply cannot afford it, instead they have to commute at least an hour in what I can only describe as quite hideous conditions, on that hole in the ground some call the underground.

Whilst personally I would not like to move to Hull but that is not an argument for keeping people in accomodation that they themselves cannot afford. I know to the fine readers of the Guardian civilisation ends somewhere in the the mists of zone 3 but we need to move into the real world. Either rents have to fall or the workless have to move - in the same way as workers - into housing that they can afford....

#11 kraft

kraft

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

But what about all the culture and theater they will be missing out on?

#12 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Whilst personally I would not like to move to Hull but that is not an argument for keeping people in accomodation that they themselves cannot afford. I know to the fine readers of the Guardian civilisation ends somewhere in the the mists of zone 3 but we need to move into the real world. Either rents have to fall or the workless have to move - in the same way as workers - into housing that they can afford....

Agreed and Hull benefits by becoming more vibrant. London benefits from being less overcrowded.

#13 Tankus

Tankus

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

why stop at hull ...go all the way over the border ...then when salmond pulls the plug ...its not the Englishes problem anymore ?

make up for all those scottish mps fostered on us ...kirkcaldy ..perhaps

#14 Garf

Garf

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Doesn't sound so bad if you call it a move to Kingston on Hull.

#15 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

I think they have already sent people on the housing waiting list to my area, Southend on Sea in Essex. We are swamped with foreign nationals, not just E Euros and Poles but virtually every nationality seems to be here and you'll see for yourself if you visit the town and walk along London Road between the town centre, Cricketers pub and Palace Theatre.

Large swathes of my town now closely resembles London and not sure it's for the better, I don't like to feel I'm abroad unless I actually am, it's unnerving to hear so many different languages and not understand most of them. Many of them seem unable to speak any English at all and stare blankly at you in shops if you say excuse me or after you etc, also many young children here speaking their native languages suggesting they are very much newcomers to the UK

London is spilling out into the provinces and I am not happy about it

Despite that, my money-grubbing slimy landlord has not found a new tenant to replace me - only 1 viewer in 5 weeks - no one's that desperate :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users