Thanks for the info...I have signed up :lol:

#2 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,209 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think it would be beyond me, but if they are going to start offering other courses this is going to get very interesting.

Will the lectures start to carry ads? This could start to generate them a nice income stream.

Have enough courses and you might as well stay on the dole in the UK and take courses like this.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your £100k house would be worth £1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"The trouble with the world was that prices were so low that only the rich people could buy and the aim of the Conference was to raise them to a point where it would again be possible for poor people to buy something."

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

smaller.jpg

#3 Imp

Imp

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Cheers,

Mrs Imp did the recent Artificial Intelligence course from Stanford which someone mentioned on here. She only did GCSE maths 15 years ago, and she found it really challenging but got through it and enjoyed it (I think). Possibly a sign of her stubbornness. I've just signed up to this MIT course. If it is anything like the AI course, it will be good.
Do your own research
Don't believe anything you read on an internet forum

#4 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,175 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

Why would anyone want to do this for free when they can pay 9000 a year to study at a world class institution like Bristol Poly?

#5 SNACR

SNACR

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,109 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I notice the recommended textbook is authored by the guy doing the course.

Does this have any real value beyond the self-satisfaction of doing this course rather than a crossword for a reasonably educated person with spare time?

Probably a future business opportunity in offering local third-party invigilation services for the exams of various onine courses/learning.

I think this sort of learning is the future once you can be sure of the rigour of the exams. Clicking a box, basically says, 'I agree not to cheat' isn't going to cut it.

Once there's a market in online courses students should vote with their feet and lecturers/providers will have to work a lot harder towards producing a decent course when a lot have got away with a lecture consisting of reading aloud a ten year old projector slide and calling it a course.

#6 guitarman001

guitarman001

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

It's in circuits and electronics (wonder why?):
http://www.bbc.co.uk...cation-17012968

What do you think about this proposal?

#7 guitarman001

guitarman001

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

I think the course content looks pretty good. You could probably do this then go and be a lab tech - if they do a few more courses then it's free education, sit at home then go get the job of your choice. Scary, in a way. If it works out like that!

#8 The Generation Game

The Generation Game

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Anyone done much yet with this? Personally, I'm quite enjoying it so far.

#9 WageSlaveBear

WageSlaveBear

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

I tried to sign up, but never got a response?

#10 The Generation Game

The Generation Game

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

I tried to sign up, but never got a response?

I got a hyperlink to click through. If you gave an email address and a username, then try logging in. Guy in my office was waiting for a response but got on the site ok today. Think you can still register. First homework is not due until 16th March.

#11 Ascii

Ascii

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Anyone done much yet with this? Personally, I'm quite enjoying it so far.

I'm giving it a go - much more appealing than doing some work. Feel free to share if you want- just started today so haven't got too far.

#12 Ascii

Ascii

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Once there's a market in online courses students should vote with their feet and lecturers/providers will have to work a lot harder towards producing a decent course when a lot have got away with a lecture consisting of reading aloud a ten year old projector slide and calling it a course.

That's basically hwy I never bothered with uni - for the areas I'm interested in half a brain and a textbook will suffice. It's not so easy for the arts, but for sciences with fixed and known knowns it seems a logical progression to me. I'd happily pay money to do a degree this way and logically there's no reason why it should cost a lot since replication is cheap.

#13 The Generation Game

The Generation Game

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

I'm giving it a go - much more appealing than doing some work. Feel free to share if you want- just started today so haven't got too far.

I've just finished S2E3 so far. It's the "sign" (things like negative power) that's causing me most grief so far. I do think that the circuit construction software could come in very handy from a hobbyist point of view.

#14 WageSlaveBear

WageSlaveBear

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Cheers

Blocked by nhs firewall,
Enrolled at home, must remember to tell the other interested person at work.
We might share the textbook.

#15 The Generation Game

The Generation Game

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

3 weeks into this now. How are any other participators finding it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users