I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,082 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

http://www.homeofthefuture.tv/

Watch it now if you didn't watch it last night

http://www.channel4....-the-future/4od

They spend a fortune adding zillions of gadgets to a family's house.

At about 24 minutes in they've just started talking about why kids haven't left home - HOUSE PRICES!!

They have built him an air clad pod in the back garden... hmm

The gadget side of it is utterly mad. How electricity dependent should a house be?

Edited by SarahBell, 13 February 2012 - 10:41 AM.

Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#2 Monkey

Monkey

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

The gadget side of it is utterly mad. How electricity dependent should a house be?

50 years ago a fridge/washing machine/vaccuum were considered gadgets

20 years ago a dishwasher as well

My point? Yesterday gadgets are todays neccessites.

Ok there is a lot more pointless stuff now, but think about it.

In the last few months both my home and office have suffered power cuts. And its shocking how reliant we have become on electricity, even for the most basic of tasks.

The one thing that annoys me in a power cut is the heating, yes its gas, but it runs on an electric control unit, with no battery backup, they could easily put a 4 + hour backup supply for that

#3 concerned_money

concerned_money

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

this future living smacks of my worst bad dream !

more authority control
more observation
more manipulation

less personal choice
less personal control
less time
less privacy

just makes me want to live off grid even more than ever
use no electricty
not have a computer
not work
not pay tax

FREEDOM ABOVE ALL ELSE

#4 Nuggets Mahoney

Nuggets Mahoney

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,372 posts
  • About Me:Doesn't believe anything.
    Has many suspicions.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

more authority control
more observation
more manipulation

less personal choice
less personal control
less time
less privacy

use no electricty
not have a computer
not work
not pay tax

FREEDOM ABOVE ALL ELSE

cue the Planned-opolis video...

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney, 13 February 2012 - 01:20 PM.

edit: typo

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that many are not genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

#5 Jason

Jason

HPC Vindicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

I thought I'd accidentally switched to a shopping channel when this came on!
House Price changes

NO LONGER UPDATED.

----------------------- Peak ---------- Trough -(% trough fall) - Current - (% from peak) - (% from Trough)

Halifax: -------------- Aug07 199,612 - Apr09 154,490 (-22.60%) - Oct09 165,528 (-17.08%) - (+07.14%)

Nationwide: ----------- Oct07 186,044 - Feb09 147,746 (-20.59%) - Oct09 162,038 (-12.90%) - (+09.67%)

Rightmove: ------------ May08 242,500 - Jan09 213,570 (-11.93%) - Nov09 226,440 (-06.62%) - (+06.03%)

DCLG (formerly ODPM): - Jan08 221,758 - Mar09 187,193 (-15.59%) - Jul09 196,338 (-11.46%) - (+04.89%)

Land Registry (Mth): -- Nov07 186,009 - Apr09 152,803 (-17.85%) - Sep09 158,377 (-14.86%) - (+03.64%)

FT HPI: --------------- Feb08 231,804 - Apr09 199,953 (-13.74%) - Aug09 205,338 (-11.42%) - (+02.69%)

Land Registry (Qtr): -- Q307 230,474 -- Q109 198,939  (-13.68%) - Q209 224,064  (-02.78%) -- (+12.63%)

Topic Link: http://www.housepric...howtopic=127421
Links: Halifax, Nationwide, Rightmove, Land Registry (monthly), Land Registry (Raw data - Quarterly).

Read what the papers said during the last crash: Here.

#6 Jason

Jason

HPC Vindicated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,634 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

This program (well what I saw of it) did make me wonder if it is possible to get a heating control system that you can control with a phone app?

As I'm not always home, I have my heating on for about 30mins in the morning and the same for the evening (the rest of the time I just press the boost button which runs it for an hour). However, it would be good if I could use an app to switch it on an off.
House Price changes

NO LONGER UPDATED.

----------------------- Peak ---------- Trough -(% trough fall) - Current - (% from peak) - (% from Trough)

Halifax: -------------- Aug07 199,612 - Apr09 154,490 (-22.60%) - Oct09 165,528 (-17.08%) - (+07.14%)

Nationwide: ----------- Oct07 186,044 - Feb09 147,746 (-20.59%) - Oct09 162,038 (-12.90%) - (+09.67%)

Rightmove: ------------ May08 242,500 - Jan09 213,570 (-11.93%) - Nov09 226,440 (-06.62%) - (+06.03%)

DCLG (formerly ODPM): - Jan08 221,758 - Mar09 187,193 (-15.59%) - Jul09 196,338 (-11.46%) - (+04.89%)

Land Registry (Mth): -- Nov07 186,009 - Apr09 152,803 (-17.85%) - Sep09 158,377 (-14.86%) - (+03.64%)

FT HPI: --------------- Feb08 231,804 - Apr09 199,953 (-13.74%) - Aug09 205,338 (-11.42%) - (+02.69%)

Land Registry (Qtr): -- Q307 230,474 -- Q109 198,939  (-13.68%) - Q209 224,064  (-02.78%) -- (+12.63%)

Topic Link: http://www.housepric...howtopic=127421
Links: Halifax, Nationwide, Rightmove, Land Registry (monthly), Land Registry (Raw data - Quarterly).

Read what the papers said during the last crash: Here.

#7 RufflesTheGuineaPig

RufflesTheGuineaPig

is fluffy

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • About Me:I am Ruffles, the destroyer of worlds....

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

more authority control
more observation
more manipulation

less personal choice
less personal control
less time
less privacy

use no electricty
not have a computer
not work
not pay tax

FREEDOM ABOVE ALL ELSE

...says man on internet forum.
It's time to pay the piper. There is no magician who will magic away the debt. Someone is going to have to pay it. Bend over and prepare to make payment.

In this glorious nation of ours, if you work hard and keep your head down for 25 years then you too can aspire to own one-eighth of a one bedroom flat in Manchester.

My mum and day always tell me how important it is to save to buy a house. They should know, it took them nearly 6 months to save for theirs. As teenagers, they bought a 3 bed semi.

#8 Spot

Spot

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • About Me:Music, Guitars, Drums, Recording, DJ, Lighting, Motorbikes, Fast Cars, Flying, Curry, Period Property.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

This program (well what I saw of it) did make me wonder if it is possible to get a heating control system that you can control with a phone app?

As I'm not always home, I have my heating on for about 30mins in the morning and the same for the evening (the rest of the time I just press the boost button which runs it for an hour). However, it would be good if I could use an app to switch it on an off.

I don't believe anyone's currently offering this yet but the energy company I work for is working on this.
Not just heating and stuff but also controlling all sorts of electrical items.
So for example on the way back from the airport you could use your smartphone to start up the coffee pot at home, etc...

#9 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

In another post I referred to a BBC show where a Serco bin man helps out a Jakarta bin man on 15 an hour. At the time I thought his cardboard shack next to the rubbish tip had rather more gadgets than my flat. Well they had electricity, phone and perhaps even internet. Space dictated they watched TV outside, not very good when it rains. The loo was down the street somewhere.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#10 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,418 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

In the last few months both my home and office have suffered power cuts. And its shocking how reliant we have become on electricity, even for the most basic of tasks.

The one thing that annoys me in a power cut is the heating, yes its gas, but it runs on an electric control unit, with no battery backup, they could easily put a 4 + hour backup supply for that

It wasn't that long ago when homes had no electricity, gas or mains water for that matter.....people survived....what about a home with a chimney a real fire with a back boiler that heats the water at the same time a back up and money saving plan. ;)

Edited by winkie, 13 February 2012 - 03:38 PM.

What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#11 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

So for example on the way back from the airport you could use your smartphone to start up the coffee pot at home, etc...

Groovy baby!

Posted Image

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

#12 Nuggets Mahoney

Nuggets Mahoney

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,372 posts
  • About Me:Doesn't believe anything.
    Has many suspicions.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

It wasn't that long ago when homes had no electricity, gas or mains water for that matter.....people survived....what about a home with a chimney a real fire with a back boiler that heats the water at the same time a back up and money saving plan. ;)

Are you advocating carbon criminality?

Groovy baby!

That's the problem with homes of the future. They date so quickly

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney, 13 February 2012 - 03:53 PM.

edit: typo

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that many are not genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

#13 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,418 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Are you advocating carbon criminality?

......Trees that are pruned can be used, also trees if used must be replanted.....coal like oil is available at a cost...but no other alternatives have to be found...personally I am in favor of nuclear energy....like most things if used in the right responsible way are good, the wrong way are very bad. ;)

Less can be more.

#14 Reck B

Reck B

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

I have a real problem with the dishwasher as a household appliance.

Washing machines, fair enough, but the dishwasher is surely a huge waste of energy and water to carry out something that can be done in a fraction of the time by hand and to the same standard. Also - some of those dishwasher tabs are 40p per tab! (not to mention rinse aid and salt you also need).

Yep, Dishwashers are a total waste of energy and money and are for people too lazy to do the dishes by hand.

I still use mine every day, however, so you can add in a daily dose of guilt to their downsides.

pah.
Help to Buy, as described by Albert Edwards of French bank Societe Generale;

"I believe it truly is a moronic policy that stands head and shoulders above most of the stupid economic policies I have seen implemented during my 30 years in this business."

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur.

#15 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,418 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

I have a real problem with the dishwasher as a household appliance.

Washing machines, fair enough, but the dishwasher is surely a huge waste of energy and water to carry out something that can be done in a fraction of the time by hand and to the same standard. Also - some of those dishwasher tabs are 40p per tab! (not to mention rinse aid and salt you also need).

Yep, Dishwashers are a total waste of energy and money and are for people too lazy to do the dishes by hand.

I still use mine every day, however, so you can add in a daily dose of guilt to their downsides.

pah.

No dishwasher for me (hands), don't use a tumble drier either (fresh air)....the iron gets hardly any use at all (body heat/correct drying ) ;)

Less can be more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users