#1 mch

mch

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hi

can anyone outline the new bedroom tax , when it comes into effect ?

I saw an article that suggested that on a 97 a week rent if you home has one bedroom that the council deel you dont need they will remove 11 from each weeks benefit ? so your 40 or so down from your benefit as you have 2 many rooms ?thats on top of already changing how fair rents are worked out ? from median to some other slimey system that saves everyone but costs those on benefits ?

So they have

1. / capped rent allowances
2. / will be then removing more allowance if you have more rooms than you ' need '
3 ../ will work out fair rents and what each council regards as the average using the new method which lowers fair rents ?

I also read this bedroom tax will effect people claiming 3 beds with 2 sons ? who will be forced to share one room or the parent only allowed Housing Benefit for one room for the 2 of them ? and it will go further ?

Can anyone just explain just how far and wide this tax goes ?or shall we call it a secondary rent cap ?

I get the feeling the government are trying to create a housing crash...............

#2 erat_forte

erat_forte

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

It's not really a tax if they are giving you money, even if the give you less than they used to.

This has always been the case anyway, you are 'entitled' to a certain size property and if you rent a bigger one then you have to make up the difference. I had this 10 years ago.
CAESAR AD ERAT FORTE BRVTVS ADSUM IAM CAESAR SIC INTRA LIBUS BRVTVS SIC INTRAM

#3 Si1

Si1

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,060 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

if you want a bigger house the govt are saying you should work for it

f*cking too right

#4 Tiger Woods?

Tiger Woods?

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

I also read this bedroom tax will effect people claiming 3 beds with 2 sons ? who will be forced to share one room or the parent only allowed Housing Benefit for one room for the 2 of them ? and it will go further ?

Why is this not reasonable in your eyes? You are getting this for free from the taxpayer. Lots of working families on low wages have to have children of both sexes in a single room because they cannot afford a large enough property - why should someone getting it for free do better?

Having said that, given that the cost of housing is more about land than the actual cost of building, there isn't a fundamental reason why a rich nation like the UK cannot have a housing stock which houses everyone adequately...but until that is dealt with I cannot see why those on benefits should do better than many of those in work.

Hypocrisy disclaimer: Mrs Woods has recently had a child. We livce in Australia. I am doing a little consultancy work, but mainly not earning as I am making a product to start a business further down the track. Before giving birth, Mrs Woods was working every day as a swimming teacher. Even after government paid parental leave finishes (which pays more than she could earn even in peak season), she will still earn more through government handouts by not going back to work than by returning to work (averaged over 1 year). It is insane. So, we have decided that if the government is going to create such coimpletely perverse incentives we might as well chav off the state like everyone else.
"I would offer congratulations were it not for this tentacle gripping my leg." - Jack Vance

#5 Wig

Wig

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

The title is bugging me <_<

Keep thinking of seedy one liners and double entendres to crack about this one. I can't take it any longer here goes

"yeah jesus my missus has been charging me one for years... if I'm lucky I'll get a credit once a year yak yak yak" :P

#6 mch

mch

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

yeah me to.

Bedroom tax ?

I did wonder that but thats what Ian duncan smith has called it .

I wonder why ? were going to tax you from money we give you but were going to do that by not giving it to you ? so thats a rent cut then ? Bedroom tax cuts ?

In the end your either in the club or not i guess.

I am just surprised there is not much more mention of this as i feel its going to sink the buy to let ship big time and also create waves into housing and also probably force more people into debt , up rent arrears , force down rents or make homes empty.

Happy days ! thats all positive .

I have no problem with people with to many rooms being forced to consider the size of their home , especially if they are Mp's or Royals.( did you get that one ? )

In the end its far wiser we make people homeless or force them into hovels than question the unregulated housing market and buy to let capitalism and far wiser we lower the standards of living of those already in the gutter than deal with the Obese wealth problems causing this and Greed which is the root cause.

Its far better we return to 1824 standards than evolve and try and address the root causes.

The nation MUST remain in denial ! it cant be allowed to think....

The Monarchy / Housing market Must be preserved at all cost after all ! .

The 2 jewels in the crown of this great nation of lemmings.

But these measures will help a housing crash ?

Is that deliberate ?

Anyone with any brain can see the only way the uk will grow or expand is by first burning back the crop so to speak so growth can occur and this means allowing housing markets to crash properly ?

In order to have growth you need room for growth ? feels like we have a field full of wheat here and are trying to grow it higher when we need to crop it back.

Boom and bust is the law of our great manipulated economic order so why did they this time not allow the bust ? ok so they didnt have the great '# Brown quantative easing algorithm ' which allows us to devalue the pound , print money but then file the figures away in the ' later ' cabinet.

I wonder where that will end.

Am i off topic ?

we need a housing crash in order to start up the pipe dream and get good little 16 year olds into working and taking out mortgages.

This ' bedroom ' tax will help that no end , i wonder if thats a deliberate mistake.

I remember the poll tax and realising that the tories actually thought it would work !!!!!!!!!! thats what we forget , were ruled by Morons and inbreeds with very little intelligence.

I still wonder how they got there.

#7 tim123

tim123

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Why is this not reasonable in your eyes? You are getting this for free from the taxpayer. Lots of working families on low wages have to have children of both sexes in a single room because they cannot afford a large enough property - why should someone getting it for free do better?

Because they presumably achieved it by compromising on something else.

If the limit is you can spend 100 pw on a property, what concern is it to the government that you choose to use it to rent a slummy property in a sh*t hole area with three beds, instead of the nice house in the nice area with two beds?

tim

#8 Squeeky

Squeeky

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

If the limit is you can spend 100 pw on a property, what concern is it to the government that you choose to use it to rent a slummy property in a sh*t hole area with three beds, instead of the nice house in the nice area with two beds?

The local council have a duty to meet your housing needs, if you only need 2 bedrooms by their rule book, you only get 2 bedrooms. The cap is their to stop LL from taking the michael, the cost is immaterial to some extent, providing the housing need is met. The council will also have other families on their books which will need a 3 bed house, which can't utilise the 2 bed, so they can never allocate on cost over need unless there are availability is severely skewed e.g. the only available houses are 5 bed mansions with pools and tennis courts, you might get lucky!

Besides rent is only one cost of a property. You have utilities, and council tax on top which also change typically with the size of the property.

#9 vegraj

vegraj

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Anyone know if this tax applies only to council housing, and if it does when is the tax going to apply to all properties?. I'm thinking of course what affect it will have on the BTL market if these changes are impemented especially as there supply of ready tenants may be restricted.

#10 Rozza

Rozza

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • About Me:Bull Trapping

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Quite simply the concern to the government and the taxpayer is that we are paying for it, so if they are prepared to live in a slummy property then they can live in one with the correct number of bedrooms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users