#1 TTD

TTD

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Page 13 article today, kicks off with

"Almost three out of ten people believe house prices in Scotland will rise rather than fall this year"

Is it just me, or is this an attempt to put a positive spin on ;

"More than seventy percent (almost three-quarters) of people surveyed believe house prices in Scotland wiil fall rather than rise this year"

(Assuming nobody abstained or held a neutral view, of course)

#2 Scunnered

Scunnered

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

"Almost three out of ten people believe house prices in Scotland will rise rather than fall this year"

Is it just me, or is this an attempt to put a positive spin on ;

"More than seventy percent (almost three-quarters) of people surveyed believe house prices in Scotland wiil fall rather than rise this year"

(Assuming nobody abstained or held a neutral view, of course)

I saw that on the Scotsman website (grrrrr...) this morning, but it seems to have disappeared into the void now. I think it said that 24% (or something) of people expected prices to fall, so presumably there's getting on for 50% who don't give a monkey's.

They also have Recession hitting homeowners hardest.

SCOTS are going bust at almost twice the rate as people south of the Border, with homeowners now among the hardest hit, according to new figures.

Analysis from business advisers and accountants PKF shows 19,634 people were subject to a sequestration order – the Scottish term for bankruptcy – in 2011.

That equates to 0.38 per cent of the population, significantly higher than 0.22 per cent in England and Wales, or 119,850 people.

Bryan Jackson, corporate recovery partner with PKF, said: “These figures show that Scots are continuing to experience extreme financial difficulties at a much greater rate than their counterparts south of the Border. This is undoubtedly due to the higher proportion of public sector jobs being cut, wage freezes in the public sector, and perhaps more speculatively an over-reliance on the housing bubble to fund lifestyles.

Housing bubble? What housing bubble?

[Edit: fix URL]

Edited by Scunnered, 04 February 2012 - 06:33 PM.

A man, a map, a canal. Anacapamanama!

#3 Scunnered

Scunnered

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Ah, I've found it now. It was impossible to find it on the Scotsman website itself, but Google News did the job.

Scots housing market fights back in crisis of confidence .

Almost three out of ten people believe house prices in Scotland will rise rather than fall this year, a survey shows.

According to the latest Bank of Scotland Housing Market Confidence tracker, 28 per cent believe house prices will increase over the next 12 months while 24 per cent predict a decline.

[continues...]

So there's no news there at all really; they could probably have got the same result by canvassing people's dogs.

Edited by Scunnered, 04 February 2012 - 01:55 PM.

A man, a map, a canal. Anacapamanama!

#4 The Fish

The Fish

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Reporting Scotland just ran the story. Pathetic and transparent spin. Maybe they thought we needed cheering up after the rugby. Not me, English to the heart of oak.

#5 lulu

lulu

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Reporting Scotland just ran the story. Pathetic and transparent spin. Maybe they thought we needed cheering up after the rugby. Not me, English to the heart of oak.

It worked, I was round at a friends and we had turned the sound off after the game so did not hear much of the news report, only the last few moments and one of the guys there made some comment along the lines - of 'good news, its about time the market picked up'.

The BBC know what they are doing and the brainwashing runs deep....

We don't stand a chance... :(

#6 The Fish

The Fish

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

It worked, I was round at a friends and we had turned the sound off after the game so did not hear much of the news report, only the last few moments and one of the guys there made some comment along the lines - of 'good news, its about time the market picked up'.

The BBC know what they are doing and the brainwashing runs deep....

We don't stand a chance... :(

I don't know, there's not getting past the hard reality. I'm no economist but with the basic knowledge and debating points I've picked up on here there's very few 'sheeple' can maintain an HPI position. Anecdotally, I'm moving house as my workplace is changing and while being shown some flats for rent by an agent she mentioned that a good proportion of the owners are renting out 'until the market picks up'. I threw in a 'that won't be for quite a few years' comment to see what came back and she totally agreed with me. We didn't even discuss it further. Incidentally, all the BTL type flats were either horrible or in horrible places and I've now got a lovely private let that will allow me to build up my savings even further. Another move to within walking distance of my work that eliminates the shocking cost of commuting. I could probably afford to buy outright the place I'm going to but for me at the moment it's still a total no brainer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users