• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,784 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

It is all relative though. Bargain was tongue in cheek but you know what I mean. By sq footage one of the most desirable flats probably anywhere in Scotland for 4500 per sq metre ? It is mental. But not even remotely close to as mental as a one bed flat in Gorgie for 3k per sq metre.

Still a lot of mental prices in Scotland - then again there are more and more places that you see and think its not that bad value. Not nearly enough of course. Long slow process.

I know you said 'relative' but if the Gorgie flat at £3k is mental it doesn't justify the price at all it's still mental instead of a b... ba... bar... barg... no sorry I cannot get the word out for a £565k 1 bed flat. :lol:

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#32 ccc

ccc

I make myself sick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts
  • About Me:German Girl avatar - http://www.nerve.com/files/archive/theremoteisland/2009/02/german-girl-10.jpg

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

I know you said 'relative' but if the Gorgie flat at £3k is mental it doesn't justify the price at all it's still mental instead of a b... ba... bar... barg... no sorry I cannot get the word out for a £565k 1 bed flat. :lol:

But its a massive one bed flat. It is about 3 times the size of a Gorgie flat. :P

Anyway - all I am saying is with places like this you will always get people with huge wads of cash who will pay whatever is wanted. Always been the case and always will. And based on that the fact it is 'only' 50% more than a Gorgie flat makes it 'relatively' good value IMO.

It is like comparing a banged up Ford Fiesta with a spanking Aston Martin. Would you not think the Aston Martin was much better value if it only cost 50% more than the banged up Fiesta. I would. ;)
"****** you - you carwash ****"

March 2007 - Suzy Essman.

#33 naptrel

naptrel

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

The grange is nice, and Cumin place is pretty darn desirable, but is it really this desirable? You get a nice wee garden, and a foldy-out wall onto it from your lounge, but the deck is included as part of the house in the floor plan and there are no room dimensions given.

#34 WhatThe

WhatThe

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Aghhhhh... Over 600K to live in a dungeon

http://www.espc.com/...sid=10735444331

#35 Muswell Hillbilly

Muswell Hillbilly

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Aghhhhh... Over 600K to live in a dungeon

http://www.espc.com/...sid=10735444331

In defence of the Scotland Street flat, you get 192 square metres for £610K, which works out at £3,167 per square metre – not bad for the New Town. It’s not really a dungeon, as that’s how those houses were built, and it has the full ceiling height throughout, although the amount of natural light you get at the front wouldn’t be great.

The Cumin Place thing, on the other hand, has just 97 square metres for £485K, which works out at £4,969 per square metre. I can’t help but wonder whether the selling agent has actually counted the outdoor decking area in the floor space! It is basically a crappy little single-storey garage into which a ‘developer’ under the influence of too much Beeny has tried to squeeze in something which could be called a home. Note that the ‘rooms’ on the ‘first floor’ only have Velux windows. Furthermore, it’s right up by the busy, noisy Grange Road. In my opinion, this one is far and away the worst-value property I’ve seen in Edinburgh. If it sells for anywhere near the asking price then I shall be convinced the world has gone stark staring bonkers and shall eat Krusty Allsops’s famous hat.

#36 WhatThe

WhatThe

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

In defence of the Scotland Street flat, you get 192 square metres for £610K, which works out at £3,167 per square metre – not bad for the New Town. It’s not really a dungeon, as that’s how those houses were built, and it has the full ceiling height throughout, although the amount of natural light you get at the front wouldn’t be great.

The Cumin Place thing, on the other hand, has just 97 square metres for £485K, which works out at £4,969 per square metre. I can’t help but wonder whether the selling agent has actually counted the outdoor decking area in the floor space! It is basically a crappy little single-storey garage into which a ‘developer’ under the influence of too much Beeny has tried to squeeze in something which could be called a home. Note that the ‘rooms’ on the ‘first floor’ only have Velux windows. Furthermore, it’s right up by the busy, noisy Grange Road. In my opinion, this one is far and away the worst-value property I’ve seen in Edinburgh. If it sells for anywhere near the asking price then I shall be convinced the world has gone stark staring bonkers and shall eat Krusty Allsops’s famous hat.

Ha ha, yes that Cumin Place is having a laugh.

However for the Scotland Street flat - Why buy that when I can get this nice flat on Northumberland Street for OO 450K and it is about 180 square meters?

http://www.espc.com/...sid=10741797925

#37 Muswell Hillbilly

Muswell Hillbilly

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Ha ha, yes that Cumin Place is having a laugh.

However for the Scotland Street flat - Why buy that when I can get this nice flat on Northumberland Street for OO 450K and it is about 180 square meters?

http://www.espc.com/...sid=10741797925

I don’t think the Northumberland Street flat is 180 m² in area. Adding up the widths of the three rooms at the bottom of the plan gives 6.63 + 3.07 + 4.50 = 14.2 m. Adding up the lengths of rooms from top to bottom of the plan gives 3.66 + 6.45 = 10.11 m. Multiplying one by the other gives 14.2 x 10.11 = 144 m². Admittedly the bathroom sticks out a wee bit, so let’s say the flat is 150 m² tops. Thus it comes out at about £3000 per square metre, which is not much different from the Scotland Street flat. And some people prefer maindoor flats – they think having a front door directly into your own flat is worth paying a premium – so I can see why the Scotland Street one would have a slightly higher asking price per square metre, even though it’ll be as dingy, dark and damp as anything!

#38 WhatThe

WhatThe

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

I don’t think the Northumberland Street flat is 180 m² in area. Adding up the widths of the three rooms at the bottom of the plan gives 6.63 + 3.07 + 4.50 = 14.2 m. Adding up the lengths of rooms from top to bottom of the plan gives 3.66 + 6.45 = 10.11 m. Multiplying one by the other gives 14.2 x 10.11 = 144 m². Admittedly the bathroom sticks out a wee bit, so let’s say the flat is 150 m² tops. Thus it comes out at about £3000 per square metre, which is not much different from the Scotland Street flat. And some people prefer maindoor flats – they think having a front door directly into your own flat is worth paying a premium – so I can see why the Scotland Street one would have a slightly higher asking price per square metre, even though it’ll be as dingy, dark and damp as anything!

Savills has one directly below that is about 1,750 sq ft. I used those numbers.

N.B: Savills also seem to be offloading all of their investment properties in Edinburgh. It all has that bland look with a dash of purple. Do they know something that we poor mortals don't.?

#39 WhatThe

WhatThe

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Ok no more negativity.... Here is a house that I think looks like reasonable value

http://www.rightmove...y-22685751.html

Wish I had that kinda money :)

#40 suggs

suggs

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

Ok no more negativity.... Here is a house that I think looks like reasonable value

what really gets my goat is if these EAs sell this house for say 1 million at 2% sales fees they get 20k for taking a few photos and sum smug gelled haired geezer in a suit with a marked up mini walking round the house a few times :angry:

talk about money for old rope.

#41 Muswell Hillbilly

Muswell Hillbilly

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Here’s an example of how counting ‘bedrooms’ rather than square metres/feet allows people to be hoodwinked:

132/4 Whitehouse Loan, Bruntsfield – offers around £230,000

It’s a two-bedroom conversion at the top of a very grand Victorian house in a great location. Look at the floor plan, though, and you’ll see it’s only 55.7 m², making the price £4,129 per square metre! Absolutely appalling value for money for the area.

#42 lulu

lulu

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

There is something funny going on though. There are lots of houses I see in and around Edinburgh that I think are 'fair' value but they are always at the top end of the market. No long ago there was a house in midlothian on the market with stables and a few acres (not that I was remotely interested in such a place) it was on the market for 'only' £500Kish which I actually thought was a reasonable price for what you were getting.

Conversely there are tonnes of what I would suggest are 'overpriced' flats. I guess this is part of the BTL effect which has created an artificial market at the bottom. There are still people wanting £150K for a onebedroom flat in Morningside (though even there prices are slipping....)

#43 WhatThe

WhatThe

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

There is something funny going on though. There are lots of houses I see in and around Edinburgh that I think are 'fair' value but they are always at the top end of the market. No long ago there was a house in midlothian on the market with stables and a few acres (not that I was remotely interested in such a place) it was on the market for 'only' £500Kish which I actually thought was a reasonable price for what you were getting.

Conversely there are tonnes of what I would suggest are 'overpriced' flats. I guess this is part of the BTL effect which has created an artificial market at the bottom. There are still people wanting £150K for a onebedroom flat in Morningside (though even there prices are slipping....)

I have noticed exactly the same effect. There are a lot of solid family homes that seem like reasonable value. However there are a lot of overpriced flats particularly in the Marchmont area. For example, I think this is a nice flat but a tad ambitious price,

http://www.rightmove...y-33920257.html

Good luck if they sell it for that. It proves the old axiom - sellers rarely know the market value of their property but buyers do.

#44 Muswell Hillbilly

Muswell Hillbilly

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

I have noticed exactly the same effect. There are a lot of solid family homes that seem like reasonable value. However there are a lot of overpriced flats particularly in the Marchmont area. For example, I think this is a nice flat but a tad ambitious price,

http://www.rightmove...y-33920257.html

Good luck if they sell it for that. It proves the old axiom - sellers rarely know the market value of their property but buyers do.

They bought it for a bubbletastic £641,925 in 2007, so in that respect ‘good luck’ indeed. However, at £2,792 per square metre, it’s actually very much around the average asking price for the area. There are two-bedroom flats in nearby roads, around 90 m² in size, with asking prices in the order of £265,000 (£2,944/m²). So don’t think ‘it’s just a flat’, and look beyond the – admittedly eye-watering – asking price. Look instead at the surface area, which is vast. Also note that these are all genuine rooms, with proper windows and ceiling height, none of your loft-conversion rubbish.

#45 WhatThe

WhatThe

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

They bought it for a bubbletastic £641,925 in 2007, so in that respect ‘good luck’ indeed. However, at £2,792 per square metre, it’s actually very much around the average asking price for the area. There are two-bedroom flats in nearby roads, around 90 m² in size, with asking prices in the order of £265,000 (£2,944/m²). So don’t think ‘it’s just a flat’, and look beyond the – admittedly eye-watering – asking price. Look instead at the surface area, which is vast. Also note that these are all genuine rooms, with proper windows and ceiling height, none of your loft-conversion rubbish.

Thanks Muswell Man I love your analysis. You must be an engineer or an Actuary!. Ok Let me have a go with this:

http://www.espc.com/...sid=11453485251

They want OO 290 and it is about 70 sq meters. So that puts it in about $4,142 psm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users