7 replies to this topic

#1 Will!

Will!

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

I should add this does include heating and hot water.

Three bedroom, 70 sq m flat in nice block. All owner-occupiers, no BTL. Flat is leasehold (sub-lease 160 years) with sub-leaseholders owning a share of the management company that owns the head lease (60 years). Freehold is owned by Southwark Borough Council.

A service charge of 1000 pcm for a flat in Camberwell seems a bit high to me, but I don't have much of a sense of typical service charges in London. Any thoughts? (Other than don't buy in Camberwell, obviously.)

Cheers

Will

#2 Rave

Rave

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

No, that's completely ridiculous. 2k P/A is the maximum I'd consider reasonable unless the block has a pool, gym, and porter?!

Even a poorly insulated flat isn't going to cost more than about 1k a year to heat and provide hot water for. I'd love to know where the rest of it goes....

Oh, and don't buy in Camberwell ;) .

#3 thejaksie

thejaksie

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

outrageous
the highest i've seen was 7k per annum on a 1000sqft 2 bed. that building included swimming pook, gym, porter, gardens, etc
usual charge is between 2-5k I would say if it's a new building with lifts but no fancy stuff

#4 sleepwello'nights

sleepwello'nights

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

A service charge of 1000 pcm for a flat in Camberwell seems a bit high to me, but I don't have much of a sense of typical service charges in London. Any thoughts? (Other than don't buy in Camberwell, obviously.)

Google Right To Manage.
When all's said and done, there's more said than done.

#5 Will!

Will!

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Thanks all.

No, that's completely ridiculous. 2k P/A is the maximum I'd consider reasonable unless the block has a pool, gym, and porter?!

Even a poorly insulated flat isn't going to cost more than about 1k a year to heat and provide hot water for. I'd love to know where the rest of it goes....

Oh, and don't buy in Camberwell ;) .

The rest is going on replacing the heating and hot water system, which is estimated to cost 4m. I don't think the service charge will be going down any time soon. Flats in the block still going Under Offer for close to 2007 asking prices though!

#6 SHERWICK

SHERWICK

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,531 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

I should add this does include heating and hot water.

Three bedroom, 70 sq m flat in nice block. All owner-occupiers, no BTL. Flat is leasehold (sub-lease 160 years) with sub-leaseholders owning a share of the management company that owns the head lease (60 years). Freehold is owned by Southwark Borough Council.

Cheers

Will

:lol:

There's one born every minute !!
The mighty neo liberal steam roller that crushed all before it from the 1980s to the beginning of the new millennium has morphed in recent years into a Charlie Carioli clown car that now can not go two yards without loud bangs, smoke pouring out of the engine and the doors dropping off. (by stormymonday_2011, posted amidst the Barclays Libor crisis on 02/07/2012)

Polster: why did you vote labour?
Labour voter: because I hate Margaret Thatcher
Polster: how old were you when she left Downing st?
Labour voter: 3
(by Robo1968, posted 10/05/2010)

From BBC HYS 15/05/2009:
"Last year, my MP's second home claim was 5,000 more than my total salary and now I find out that he's trying to charge me for cleaning his swimming pool!"

"Whatever your argument it's wrong." bendy, 21/02/2014

#7 BadMouse

BadMouse

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Is this RPH? I used to own a flat there and the service charge I seem to recall was about 2000 PA. 1000PCM is ridiculous and no, not normal for Camberwell!

Prices are still insane in SE5 - people are asking and actually appear to be paying 400++ for a three bed house. Higher than 2007 by a way. Who is buying them? This is Camberwell, why would you pay close to half a million for a small house?

#8 Will!

Will!

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Is this RPH? I used to own a flat there and the service charge I seem to recall was about 2000 PA. 1000PCM is ridiculous and no, not normal for Camberwell!

It is. I've decided not to buy there after obtaining a look at RPH Ltd's accounts.

Prices are still insane in SE5 - people are asking and actually appear to be paying 400++ for a three bed house. Higher than 2007 by a way. Who is buying them? This is Camberwell, why would you pay close to half a million for a small house?

Indeed. It is absolutely bonkers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users