27 replies to this topic

#1 bearwithasorehead

bearwithasorehead

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ok, I've got a decent job opportunity in Norway doing the same job as here but paying about 5k per annum more after taxes. Not a lot considering the cost of living in Oslo. However I am concerned about my kids growing up in the UK - you know why!

On the other hand I have to learn Norwegian. I've also heard that it is a very closed society and that alcohol is extremely expensive.
I love the UK, I just can't stand the retards that live here.

I am really stumped here. It is not a lot more money to live in a more expensive country. But a country with perhaps more to offer a young family (I have two young kids).

Would you move?

Edited by bearwithasorehead, 06 January 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#2 hedgefunded

hedgefunded

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Ok, I've got a decent job opportunity in Norway doing the same job as here but paying about 5k per annum more after taxes. Not a lot considering the cost of living in Oslo. However I am concerned about my kids growing up in the UK - you know why!

On the other hand I have to learn Norwegian. I've also heard that it is a very closed society and that alcohol is extremely expensive.

I am really stumped here. It is not a lot more money to live in a more expensive country. But a country with perhaps more to offer a young family (I have two young kids).

Would you move?

Yes

#3 AteMoose

AteMoose

INTJ <- No S :(

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

no..... it sounds like you will be poorer.... ask for more money
I have bought a newish (5 years) house in November 2006. I talked the vendor down 30% off peak 2004 price am am paying less than the 2002 price. I feel prices will continue to drop down to the 2001 price but saving for 5 years hopefully means i wont be stung. The price i am paying isn't much above the price the vendor paid for the place when it was new in 2000. However some idiot is trying to flog an identical house on my road for 55k above the price i paid, one month later!?!?! The housing market is frothy, no-one ever knows what the value of a house is, the value is what someone is willing to pay, make sure you pay alot less than the asking price.

Free to collect, like ebay but you dont pay, you just have to collect

QUOTE (sledgehead)If you make a living from something, you are a professional something: it is your profession. You could bake dog turds and flog them as ornaments. If that's how you make your living, you ARE a professional dog-turd baker. Period
QUOTE (Rolling Stone 13th July 2000)The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

QUOTE (Soon Not a Chain Retailer @ Aug 30 2009, 01:03 AM) Society should provide trampolines not safety nets.

QUOTE (GordonBrown Jan 27 2008 (warning about the coming inflation?))if you don't get the skills you wont get a job
if you get the skills you will earn ALOT of money

#4 Gigantic Purple Slug

Gigantic Purple Slug

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Would you move?

I do a lot of business in Norway and am out there several times a year. I have a close collaboration with another Norweigian small business.

I think on the plus side Norway is a relatively safe place, good education and public services. The people are friendly (I think closed is not an appropriate description) and I get the impression the family unit is a lot stronger than the UK. Like anywhere they tend to revert to their own language if Norweigians only are present, but the english spoke by most people is good. I am sure making an effort to learn Norweigian would help. If you are working at a multi national company with many different nationalities present you wold probably get away without having to work too hard on the Norweigian. But if you are working in a business which is majority Norweigian and you are the only foreigner then you would probably have to work on the langauage and learn to make an impact.

Everything there is expensive. Booze, petrol, check out the electricity bills (these can vary quite a lot between regions), food. If you're not a great drinker then it probably matters less. Definitely it sounds like you are not being offered enough cash as compensation (but maybe the company will pay for your living costs so its not as bad as it seems?)

For me Norway is a great place but is somewhat .... sterile if you get my meaning. Everything is nice. No litter. Friendly people. Great services. Cute houses. Beautiful women. The people are more gentle (less chavs, but that said the young like their drinking binges as much as the Brits do). But it lacks an edge. The Norweigians have massive public wealth and that certainly affects their attitude and general requirements to fight for survival. Their cities to me may lack poverty and filth but they also lack vibrancy. I guess this is a personal thing.

#5 snowflux

snowflux

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Sounds like a good opportunity to me, so long as your family are up for it. Norway's not very far away, so easy for visits home. I wouldn't worry about small differences in current pay - that's a very minor consideration compared with the potential gain in life / career experience.

#6 Kurt Barlow

Kurt Barlow

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Would you move?

Great place go for it.

Burds are stunning too - in your case look don't touch :lol:

#7 libspero

libspero

Frijolero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

Never been to Norway, but if your family are up for it, why not?

Sounds like an adventure :)

And I tell you we have learned from past mistakes.
Just as you cannot spend your way out of recession, you cannot, in a global economy, simply spend your way through recovery either.

(Gordon Brown, Labour Party Annual Conference, 29 September 1997)

So, housing affordability is better than it has ever been, but no-one can take advantage of this because they can't afford the houses. I see.
cybernoid - 7th August 2010

Gambling promises the poor what property promises the rich - something for nothing
George Bernard Shaw

#8 RichB

RichB

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

In a heartbeat.

Lived there for many of my formative years, keep thinking I'd move back.

But.... you will probably need to realign your outlook on expenditure. Stuff like booze, eating out, and spending on endless arrays of tat, are simply not really in the psyche. As noted booze and eating out are expensive - perhaps even more so that tourist paris....

However, the outdoor lifestyle is done to an excellent level. Take up sailing and cross country skiing! Holidays are easy - pack a tent and drive round the country.
Here's some photos I took last time I went... http://flic.kr/s/aHsiPUqVX7

5k won't allow you to go boozing and eating out every day, but on the whole your lifestyle will improve if you let it.

If you are the sort that seeks out English Pubs, or moans about not getting fish and chips when on holiday... probably not so good.

Edited by RichB, 06 January 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#9 CrashedOutAndBurned

CrashedOutAndBurned

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Would you move?

I have Norwegian friends. It's expensive and you have to buy any other than weak beer from state-run shops, which are never open, for a huge price.

It's a massive nanny state for sure BUT while it's a high-tax mixed economy their state is ruthlessly efficient so everyone gets well taken care of and it doesn't all get pissed up the wall a la the UK.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned, 06 January 2012 - 04:30 PM.

Consume The Mainstream Media http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

#10 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

5K more - no thanks.

I know a couple who just moved back to the UK. The husband works in oil and gas and for years had been boring all and sundry about what a great society Norway is, how fair and equal it is, how they have a huge sovereign wealth fund, etc. After 5 years they moved back - the reason... it's just too boring and the winters are too long and depressing.

#11 Bloo Loo

Bloo Loo

Ripened on the Diversity Vine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,865 posts
  • About Me:Im Bloo yabba dee yabba die.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

I do a lot of business in Norway and am out there several times a year. I have a close collaboration with another Norweigian small business.

I think on the plus side Norway is a relatively safe place, good education and public services. The people are friendly (I think closed is not an appropriate description) and I get the impression the family unit is a lot stronger than the UK. Like anywhere they tend to revert to their own language if Norweigians only are present, but the english spoke by most people is good. I am sure making an effort to learn Norweigian would help. If you are working at a multi national company with many different nationalities present you wold probably get away without having to work too hard on the Norweigian. But if you are working in a business which is majority Norweigian and you are the only foreigner then you would probably have to work on the langauage and learn to make an impact.

Everything there is expensive. Booze, petrol, check out the electricity bills (these can vary quite a lot between regions), food. If you're not a great drinker then it probably matters less. Definitely it sounds like you are not being offered enough cash as compensation (but maybe the company will pay for your living costs so its not as bad as it seems?)

For me Norway is a great place but is somewhat .... sterile if you get my meaning. Everything is nice. No litter. Friendly people. Great services. Cute houses. Beautiful women. The people are more gentle (less chavs, but that said the young like their drinking binges as much as the Brits do). But it lacks an edge. The Norweigians have massive public wealth and that certainly affects their attitude and general requirements to fight for survival. Their cities to me may lack poverty and filth but they also lack vibrancy. I guess this is a personal thing.

very safe, unless you happen to have gone to a certain island and been shot with 70 others by a nutter with a rifle.
WARNING

Your
country is at risk
if you
do not keep up repayments
on a gilt or other loan secured on it

#12 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,329 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

5 mins 30 seconds in

The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#13 The Eagle

The Eagle

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

I've also heard that it is a very closed society and that alcohol is extremely expensive.

Do you see the connection there? Maybe it's the cheap booze in the UK that creates the retards over here (it certainly causes them to act antisocially).

So expensive booze is actually a good thing.
Owe no man anything but to love one another.
[Romans 13:8]
>>Thrive: What On Earth Will It Take? << - Must see movie! (click to watch on youtube)
Description from IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063834/ ):
"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

#14 The Eagle

The Eagle

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

it's just too boring and the winters are too long and depressing.

Excuses, the weather is hardly worse than in the UK (certainly no worse than Scotland). Most likely they never bothered to integrate properly (didn't learn the language?) and therefore lacked social life.
Owe no man anything but to love one another.
[Romans 13:8]
>>Thrive: What On Earth Will It Take? << - Must see movie! (click to watch on youtube)
Description from IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2063834/ ):
"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

#15 hedgefunded

hedgefunded

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

very safe, unless you happen to have gone to a certain island and been shot with 70 others by a nutter with a rifle.

^ Good point. Nobody ever got shot in the UK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users