274 replies to this topic

#1 switters

switters

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Americans start to believe in miracles. Slowly the GOP gets ground down by the relentless numbers of people voting. Paul wins the presidential nomination, beats Obama on the basis he's not full of sh@t.and is new president in Nov.

Immediatelt orders disengagement from Iran. Economy still screwed, dollar collapses when powerful bankers pull plug to destabilise further, temporary martial law started to maintain control.

Oil shock caused by devalued dollar leads America to recalls aircraft carriers to protect own shores when cannot afford to pay government workers . China expands into Africa and Middle East to control resources

City of London still doing well investing in the BRIC economies. House prices stay bouyant, crash is averted.

Triples all round.

Happy New Year

#2 Sour Mash

Sour Mash

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Americans start to believe in miracles. Slowly the GOP gets ground down by the relentless numbers of people voting. Paul wins the presidential nomination, beats Obama on the basis he's not full of sh@t.and is new president in Nov.

Immediatelt orders disengagement from Iran. Economy still screwed, dollar collapses when powerful bankers pull plug to destabilise further, temporary martial law started to maintain control.

Oil shock caused by devalued dollar leads America to recalls aircraft carriers to protect own shores when cannot afford to pay government workers . China expands into Africa and Middle East to control resources

City of London still doing well investing in the BRIC economies. House prices stay bouyant, crash is averted.

Triples all round.

Happy New Year

Not much chance of him actually being the Republican candidate and assuming by some miracle he did get the candidature, not a hope in hell against Obama unfortunately.

Ron Paul is one of the few politicians with a clue but unfortunately he totally lacks widespread voter appeal or populism. (Did anyone see that clip in the Brno film? Apparently he was lured to the fake interview by being told he would be speaking to an 'Austrian economist'. Very apt).

Obama should be completely vulnerable in view of his abysmal track record and the fact that many former supporters are deserting him but it seems that there's not a single Rep who stands a chance of winning. Almost as if the whole thing was orchestrated to keep him 'doing the good work' for Wall St and continuing the programme of stripping away civil liberties. He's just an American Tony Blair character in my view - lots of big money behind him and I'm sure a very lucrative career after he leaves the Oval Office as he collects the payola.

Plus a change, plus c'est la mme chose

#3 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#4 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Obama should be completely vulnerable in view of his abysmal track record and the fact that many former supporters are deserting him but it seems that there's not a single Rep who stands a chance of winning. Almost as if the whole thing was orchestrated to keep him 'doing the good work' for Wall St and continuing the programme of stripping away civil liberties. He's just an American Tony Blair character in my view - lots of big money behind him and I'm sure a very lucrative career after he leaves the Oval Office as he collects the payola.

And the last Republican president was a crusader who kept Wall St honest and didn't introduce the Patriot Act - probably the single biggest erosion of liberties for US citizens in history - was he? :lol:

Let's face it, Obama didn't have much to live up to. By not starting two foreign wars he was already off to a flying start.

#5 LuckyOne

LuckyOne

HPC Fundi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

Ron Paul resonates surprisingly well with younger people who can see what is happening to their country.

He is not part of the "elite". The right to bear arms in the US keeps politicians a bit more honest when times get tough than in some other countries.

http://www.telegraph...-Christmas.html

#6 Little Professor

Little Professor

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Ron Paul resonates surprisingly well with younger people who can see what is happening to their country.

He is not part of the "elite".

Net worth of $3.9million. Yep, he's just like one of us. :rolleyes:

#7 Gone baby gone

Gone baby gone

So long, it's been a blast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,383 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Compared to Mitt Romney with a net worth of $202 million, he's working class.

#8 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

He is 76 and still working... That's the sort of net worth that any professional person would achieve by that age unless they fritter their money away.

#9 Wig

Wig

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

I've been following the GOP campaign pretty closely over the past few months. Since stumbling across an article on Ron Paul as it happens.

Its crazy how much the 'establishment' in the US don't want Paul to win. Few months ago when he was polling in the top 3/4 he was completely ignored by the mainstream media, to the extent they'd read out all the names and ignore his. loads of stuff on youtube of cnn and particularly fox showing remarkable bias against him. google 'ron paul ignored' john stewart has a cracking bit about it.

Now he's polling ever more popular and it looks like might even win the Iowa caucus(?) CNN and fox are now saying if he does win it, it just means that Iowa no longer means anything in the scheme of things, and they need to focus on who comes second in Iowa as the real frontrunner.

It seems ludicrous to the extent you couldn't make it up but there is a clear and huge bias against him moreso than any other candidate. The reason from what I can tell is that he is the only candidate who is anti big-government, anti wall street controlling washington, anti current foreign policy ie invade country that has dark skin and/or oil. And he wants to audit/end the federal reserve. He's anti establishment and the establishment appear to be running scared! :blink:

Guy talks so much sense, has a strong grasp on [austrian] economics, called the US subprime collapse sometime back in 2005-6, and more than anything comes across as consistent and dare I say it honest. He's hit a nerve with young people in america has a huge internet following but remains to be seen how that translates to the real vote...

Thing is his views and policies represent such a threat to the status quo and to so many VIs throughout america and probably the world that you have to wonder if 'they' will let him win anyway. Compelling viewing to follow from afar, he seems to have captured the mood of the american people right now, if not the 'sheeple'

#10 LJAR

LJAR

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

I desperately want Paul to win.

Unfortunately I think the 1990 newsletters mean he hasn't got a hope in hell.

He is actually one of the only GOP candidates that might stand a chance against Obama, in the polls I saw (old ones) the other lot are all seen as another identikit politician who will talk big and do nothing.

I would love to see him win in Iowa, win the nomination and then start taking the federal government to pieces. Never gonna happen though.

#11 Lone_Twin

Lone_Twin

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

On paper he is on a par with the couple who own the big house at the end of my street.
Hardly stratospheric wealth. (though I wouldnt mind it!)
<< Formerly Super Ted >>

The banks are licenced by the government to extract profit from their slice of the monopoly in the issue of the state mandated means of exchange. Bankers bonuses like MPs expenses are distractions from theft and violence at a systematic level. -- ST
-----
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality. -- Ayn Rand

#12 Nuggets Mahoney

Nuggets Mahoney

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,041 posts
  • About Me:Doesn't believe anything.
    Has many suspicions.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Given that Paul's been in Washington for 30 years, $3.9m must qualify him as being practically destitute

Going forward I suspect that at least some of Paul's supporters believe that Paul is going to climb into a rebel fighter, pop a single well-aimed shot into a Death Star, bring down the Empire with a single blow and fly back home in time for muffins

In reality he probably won't and they will be sad

edit: fair play to Paul trying though, but I'm waiting for Paul to team up with Jesse Ventura, my personal favourite libertarian intellectual heavyweight, before I start taking his presidential bid seriously

Posted Image

Edited by Charlton Peston, 03 January 2012 - 08:10 PM.

edit: typo

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that many are not genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

#13 dothemaths

dothemaths

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Its crazy how much the 'establishment' in the US don't want Paul to win.

He's the only honest one out there so he won't be allowed to win.
If he manages against the odds to get the Republican nomination, he'll have a heart attack or something before polling day.

#14 ozmunky

ozmunky

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

He is 76 and still working... That's the sort of net worth that any professional person would achieve by that age unless they fritter their money away.

A la George Best :o :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

#15 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,151 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

In a bizarre way the fact he's being totally ignored by the mainstream media might work for him.

If he can harness the internet and make his pitch I'm not the elite, just look how they are ignoring me he could pull it off.

However if it looks like he's getting close to the White House I'd expect him to have a accident.
Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your 100k house would be worth 1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users