41 replies to this topic

#16 Starla

Starla

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

I reluctantly have to agree - I'm on the verge of quitting London.

I was looking for a decent 2 bed in Chiswick or Richmond but I'm seeing >2007 prices getting snapped up for anything not sh!t .

I find it hard to see a HPC in desired areas of London whilst rents are so high and interest rates so low.

Once rates do go up though it will be carnage.

Sadly, I think London can remain irrational longer than I'm prepared to wait.

Ditto. Renting in Chiswick and don't even bother looking at property prices around here anymore as it's pointless. I'm numb to it now. Currently considering moving to just outside London where I can get more for my money rent wise. Long term, if prices stay like this, then I can see myself saving my cash and buying a decent house elsewhere in the country for the same price as a studio flat in London.
Tell me all about it and start at the end.

#17 chicker

chicker

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

We bought our flat in Southgate in 2004. Many people on this site called the peak in 2004, if I remeber correctly. However, we sold the flat in 2011 to a FTB for 33% more. Prices in Southgate have gone up quite a bit compared to 2004 prices, and prices still seem to go up. It is a very desirable area. I still like the center of Southgate more than any other town center in the North London suburbs.

Lived in Southgate a few months now and find it rather dull. Am i missing something? Ive lived all over N london and the people here are in the main charmless.

The properties are bog standard 30s fare and rather unexciting. It,s extremely suburban in feel. No music venues , no football pubs, no cosy local pubs and the streets are empty at 7pm. Best thing about it are the numerous buses and tube providing lots of ways out ! Ive heard the schools are good tho

#18 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Lived in Southgate a few months now and find it rather dull.

Lived here a couple of decades. Find it OK. :)

Am i missing something? Ive lived all over N london and the people here are in the main charmless.

Every person, everywhere in London is charmless. :)

No music venues

Thank god. :)

no football pubs,

Thank god even more. :)

and the streets are empty at 7pm.

Thank god even more more. :)

Best thing about it are the numerous buses and tube providing lots of ways out !

You should move, then. :)

Edited by Nomadd, 10 February 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home.

#19 chicker

chicker

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Lived here a couple of decades. Find it OK. :)

Every person, everywhere in London is charmless. :)

Thank god. :)

Thank god even more. :)

Thank god even more more. :)

You should move, then. :)

Here for the schools but we obviously have very different interests. Where did you live before Southgate Nomadd ?

#20 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Here for the schools but we obviously have very different interests. Where did you live before Southgate Nomadd ?

Winchmore Hill, just off The Green. But if you find Southgate too quiet/dull. you'll hate WH even more. :)

Prior to that, South Manchester/Cheshire - which you'll find even more dull if you don't like the quieter life.

#21 Lion

Lion

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Which schools are you in Southgate for?

#22 chicker

chicker

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

Ashmole, seems Ok from reports.

#23 chicker

chicker

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Been talking with the local EAs and it appears there,s little interest in the 500k plus houses. Unfortunately the slightly more interesting semis start at this price. Also seems little room for price dropping if EA s are to be believed,

Are others experiencing this?

#24 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

No kids. So no need.

#25 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Been talking with the local EAs and it appears there,s little interest in the 500k plus houses. Unfortunately the slightly more interesting semis start at this price. Also seems little room for price dropping if EA s are to be believed,

Are others experiencing this?

Literally every semi on Hadley Rd - between Southgate and WH - was on last year for 550-575k. Noticed all of them have now dropped to 495k. As you say, there is "little interest" in semis at 500k+. So it really doesn't matter what the EAs "think", the stuff simply isn't selling.

There are several smaller semis on The Vale (and the locality) that have been on for over a year at 420k+, and none of them have sold. Ditto extended versions of the same that are on at 650k. And there are several detached on at 500-900k in Southgate and WH that I've watched for 3 years not sell - and they never will at those prices.

I think this year and next will get interesting. Certainly a change in the air. All IMHO, of course.

#26 chicker

chicker

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

Literally every semi on Hadley Rd - between Southgate and WH - was on last year for 550-575k. Noticed all of them have now dropped to 495k. As you say, there is "little interest" in semis at 500k+. So it really doesn't matter what the EAs "think", the stuff simply isn't selling.

There are several smaller semis on The Vale (and the locality) that have been on for over a year at 420k+, and none of them have sold. Ditto extended versions of the same that are on at 650k. And there are several detached on at 500-900k in Southgate and WH that I've watched for 3 years not sell - and they never will at those prices.

I think this year and next will get interesting. Certainly a change in the air. All IMHO, of course.

Started viewing some properties including a completely unmodernised semi which needs everything done to it. 500k asking - I wont be putting in an offer at that starting price.

Ive noticed a few more properties coming onto the market but prices not moving .

#27 smellypunks

smellypunks

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Nice post @Nomadd. Yes seeing that myself. Lenders are tighting up recently. I have a friend who wanted to borrow 4 times earnins and was told he could as long as it put 15% down. Then today he got a call saying he would need to put 25% deposit down. No chance of that!

Some good reads
http://www.metro.co....et-to-disappear
http://www.metro.co....s-balance-books
http://www.metro.co....gages-and-bills
http://www.metro.co....eapest-mortgage

#28 chicker

chicker

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Just bought a rather unexciting semi but will be 300-400 better off a month than renting. Paying cash and I can't wait any longer for a price fall in North London.My STR fund is making me nervous, holding money in the bank is a liability. I still welcome price falls , my kids will benefit.

#29 Nomadd

Nomadd

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Just bought a rather unexciting semi but will be 300-400 better off a month than renting. Paying cash and I can't wait any longer for a price fall in North London.My STR fund is making me nervous, holding money in the bank is a liability. I still welcome price falls , my kids will benefit.

Best of luck, mate.

I'm in the very fortunate position of renting a property very cheaply; if I didn't have it, I too would probably look to buy, as the rental prices in N14/N21 are insane. Mind you, I'd probably move out of London completely at that point and save myself a fortune.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up paying? And what did you find the market was like? From looking at Rightmove, it seems a lot of stuff has been moving down in price recently.

Nomadd

#30 chicker

chicker

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Best of luck, mate.

I'm in the very fortunate position of renting a property very cheaply; if I didn't have it, I too would probably look to buy, as the rental prices in N14/N21 are insane. Mind you, I'd probably move out of London completely at that point and save myself a fortune.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up paying? And what did you find the market was like? From looking at Rightmove, it seems a lot of stuff has been moving down in price recently.

Nomadd

Thanks and sorry for late reply. Under 520 and on N21 side. Market very aggressive for this type of property.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users