Right click Save Target As

#2 benjamin

benjamin

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:07 AM

i particualry like the bits where gb disputes the oecd figures and says all is well with uk plc.
that'll be right, then.

#3 Guest_Charlie The Tramp_*

Guest_Charlie The Tramp_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:11 AM

Humphrys: Economy relying on consumer spending, fuelled by debt, and high house prices.
Brown: I disagree with that. :blink:

#4 penbat1

penbat1

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:13 AM

i particualry like the bits where gb disputes the oecd figures and says all is well with uk plc.
that'll be right, then.

I heard the bit when GB defended UK productivity by saying what a huge number of small businesses are in business since 1997. Does this stack up or make any sense ?

Edited by penbat1, 13 October 2005 - 08:13 AM.

#5 buckers

buckers

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • About Me:Too many for my income !!! Still quite interested in girls, even after all these years.

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

IIRC they conned alot of small sole traders to become businesses with some VAT wheeze, so this probably shows up as more businesses ?

He would not rule out tax rises when specifically asked, so you can be VERY sure they're coming along soon.

GB is a lying knob. We know it, JH knows it. Do you listen to him or use your own eyes/ears ?

Buckers
IO, IO, it's off to work they go.....

#6 Guest_Charlie The Tramp_*

Guest_Charlie The Tramp_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:28 AM

Humphrys: Mervyn King said the next ten years will not be the same as the past ten years.

I second that. :(

#7 Timmy Manson

Timmy Manson

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:35 AM

I heard the bit when GB defended UK productivity by saying what a huge number of small businesses are in business since 1997. Does this stack up or make any sense ?

No start ups are sharply down. And IR35 plus a raft of other legislation seems to have been purposefully designed to prevent business startups.
I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.

#8 CrashCrash

CrashCrash

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

Humphrys: Economy relying on consumer spending, fuelled by debt, and high house prices.
Brown: I disagree with that. :blink:

Is he digging a bigger hole by not accepting the obvious?

#9 penbat1

penbat1

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

Is he digging a bigger hole by not accepting the obvious?

The correct psychological expression is "in denial". Many people, especially politicians, are "in denial" about loads of things.

#10 Property Dreamer

Property Dreamer

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:43 AM

You have to ask yourself what is the point in bothering to listen to a politician like Chemical Crash Gordon. He spins and twists his statistics like a fish on a line. Every statement is qualified, every direct question avoided and a completely different question is 'half' answered instead using open ended statistics. 37% of me found the broadcast interesting, 40% of me found it amusing but 20% of me was getting very angry. Worryingly 3% of me wanted to spread chum over his fat naked carcas and dangle him over a pit filled with hungry, narrow-minded Australian crocodiles which had been forced to listen to a tape of his speeches for a month.

#11 Blue Peter

Blue Peter

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:44 AM

The correct psychological expression is "in denial". Many people, especially politicians, are "in denial" about loads of things.

He couldn't really say anything else, though, could he? You don't know what he actually thinks,

Peter.
Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

#12 penbat1

penbat1

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:53 AM

He couldn't really say anything else, though, could he? You don't know what he actually thinks,
Peter.

He probably thinks the same thing - a form of self delusion and self-righteousness. Tony Blair, for example, most likely thinks he is doing us all a favour and sincerely thinks he is doing the right thing in Iraq.

#13 bears all

bears all

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:02 AM

IMO the most amusing bit was where he said consumer spending was rising. Humphreys' incredulous laughter had an unforced ring of genuine outrage.

Edited by bears all, 13 October 2005 - 09:04 AM.

#14 neilrich

neilrich

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:20 AM

Anyone able to copy this interview into an WMA/MP3 format available to download? This interview is a must keep!!!

#15 Gooner

Gooner

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • About Me:Family 95%, Arsenal 3%, Job 1%, watching the world's financial and social infrastructure disassemble itself in car-crash slow-motion - 1%

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:24 AM

Anyone able to copy this interview into an WMA/MP3 format available to download? This interview is a must keep!!!

You cannot help but think Humphrys was enjoying this a little more than usual - a little pay-back for the recent NuLab backed public wrist-slapping he endured?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users