9 replies to this topic

#1 Patfig

Patfig

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Clearly, I like this website, so that's not the issue.

However, it is without question the most unreliable site of any site that I frequent. It seems to spend more time down compared to another by a country mile and I wonder why?

Are you still here :P
Life is like a sh1t sandwich, the more bread the better!

#2 GinAndPlatonic

GinAndPlatonic

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Clearly, I like this website, so that's not the issue.

However, it is without question the most unreliable site of any site that I frequent. It seems to spend more time down compared to another by a country mile and I wonder why?

The owners are saving to buy a house.....so it`s run on the cheap
Jack Palance: "Do you know what the secret of life is? One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and everything else don't mean shit."
Billy Crystal: "Yeah, but what's that one thing?"
Jack Palance: "That's what you've got to figure out."

#3 Gravity sucks

Gravity sucks

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

Maybe if posts were limited to 9551 per member it would be better, shame that we would loose some posters with sagely insight. I'm just happy to have this site even if I have to put up with minor hiccups. :P

#4 Gravity sucks

Gravity sucks

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Thank-you boltonfury. I needed correcting but I hope you got the gist. There is so much to worry/care about and on my scale of concerns a minor glitch doesen't get me going. I'm grateful to live in a world where such trivial things can keep you and me so unfocused. It's cold out there and we shoul be glad of sites like this that give light, support and even hope. Nothing personal because it frutrated me yesterday as well, but I just sucked it up and this morning my old friend was back. :)

#5 Charlie The Tramp Returns

Charlie The Tramp Returns

EU Troll Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • About Me:Originally joined the Forum on 30 October 2003

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

The problem is the Site and Forum is becoming so popular that upgrading it has become a regular thing. In the early days Webmaster was continually upgrading with loss of access on a regular basis as the site was moving faster than he could cope. Hence Fubra taking over with their high tech knowledge and it shows even they have to keep on the ball with greater speed. ;)
I have been studying the European Economic Community which became the European Community and finally becoming the European Union since the 1st January 1973. As each year passed the stench of corruption, financial recklessness, and Dictatorship has got totally out of control.

In an interview,( on holiday in the exclusive Swiss ski resort of Davos ) the Liberal Democrat leader was asked whether he was in charge while the Prime Minister was away from Britain travelling in the Middle East. Sipping from a mug marked “Deputy Prime Minister,” he said: “Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that.( Proves what a total berk he is )

Cameron must learn the basic rule in politics and life ( Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion ) and Miliband with no direct British Lineage should dig a hole and disappear down it.

Is Nicholarse Elcleggski ( 25% British ) insane? Who, in their right mind would willingly appease the French and Germans?

In our Country today THE TRUTH MUST NEVER BE SPOKEN, I will leave you all with your very bleak future as I will be gone.

The Lib/Dems who over the years have supported the demise of the moral and accepted standards we were all brought up to respect. The party who would lead us the way of the Ancient Greek and Roman Empires. We can Add David Cameron and Ed Miliband as Leaders of their parties who are heading for the buffers

#6 DTMark

DTMark

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

I have a lot of sympathy :)

I used to host a very popular site (some may remember - a long time back - Cliosport.net, I think) for them.

That regularly got to such vast numbers of people online that it monpolised the shared servers (web + sql) and was capped to prevent performance issues with other sites also hosted.

I worked with the owner, who was called Jason, I think (not our Jason I guess, would be a truly huge coincidence) and we recoded it, we did our best, but ultimately it needed dedicated boxes.

They got a dedicated box. Sorry to see them go, they were greast customers with a very busy forum. But nice to see them outgrow what they had and move up.

Sadly the (single, versus separate web/db) box fell over almost instantly under the load and I think they ended up with 2 servers as well just to be able to cope.

And of course much of the problem is that something that starts out as free for everyone, a labour of love, becomes a victim of its own succcess, because unless there's some money thrown at it, it doesn't get sorted.

And since nobody pays to use the site, I can well understand that it's quite hard to support the number of users and threads this thing has. I'm amazed that "MySql has gone away" or whatever it is that MySql tends to do when it's put under load (says the MS SQL Server developer, fnar fnar) doesn't seem to happen very often.

#7 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,104 posts
  • About Me:Smashing it to LibLabCon & the NIMBY's

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

The problem is the Site and Forum is becoming so popular that upgrading it has become a regular thing. In the early days Webmaster was continually upgrading with loss of access on a regular basis as the site was moving faster than he could cope. Hence Fubra taking over with their high tech knowledge and it shows even they have to keep on the ball with greater speed. ;)

Agreed on this and what DT Mark says. I'm just happy to have the site, and put up with its minor hiccups.

I've worked with a few of forum owners, who struggle to scale the server resources with the growth of their forums. Also the advertising money which pays for the servers can lag the growth too. If you could throw infinite money at the problem, but obviously HPC has to work to a budget like anything else.

You also have to combat spam, which on forums like this tends to be profile link blasts from spammers using xrumer etc.. (**cough**)

And a significant amount of resources can be used, coping with the scraping that goes, on not just spammers looking for "footprints" to spam, but scraping any blog/forum for usuable content.

Same with Wordpress hosted sites.. Found my home server continually blasted with agressive Russian (Yandex) and Chinese (Baidu) bots/spiders, which ignore .htaccess rules. Once you firewall off their huge IP ranges, the server load drops dramatically! Though with Wordpress you can statically cache the files, that wouldn't work with forum posting though.

Hosting in the days when you could offer a 10MB package for £50 or even £100 a year, and the hosted sites were mainly static html was money for old rope. Now with dynamic sites, even a quiet or abandoned forum or blog can be a significant resource hog.

Edited by "Steed", 21 December 2011 - 09:05 AM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

Ignoring ALL UKIP and 'Election' threads on HPC until further notice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users