That's it, I'm getting a wall-safe.

I'd be happy if I were right but I'll settle for being Less Wrong

#3 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

I live in Huddersfield, well just moved out to Berry Brow over looking the Holme Valley with nice views of Castle Hill. About 3 miles walk from the main station. A minutes walk from Berry Brow station. :rolleyes:

Edited by John Steed, 12 November 2011 - 11:48 AM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#4 djmgw

djmgw

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

I'm in Slaithwaite (Slawit). Got a station into Manchester from here in 35mins. Colne valley/Holme valley villages are nicer but prob a bit more pricey. Stay away from Fartown if you have to be in town centre.

#5 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

I'm in Slaithwaite (Slawit). Got a station into Manchester from here in 35mins. Colne valley/Holme valley villages are nicer but prob a bit more pricey. Stay away from Fartown if you have to be in town centre.

There are some nice mill conversions around in Lindley/Oakes and Milnsbridge (though I was told to avoid Milnsbridge for some reason) though its only a short walk/cycle along the canal into town, or along the A62. Agree with the view on Fartown. A mile or two out of town is best. Huddersfield town centre is depressing IMO but gets nicer the further out you get. Huddersfield seems to have a good bus service, though I've never used it.

Edited by John Steed, 24 November 2011 - 09:01 AM.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#6 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,590 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

I once went to Slaithwaite station.

That's what calling into Wetherpoons for a couple of pints after work does for you. I was supposed to be catching a train in the opposite direction towards Leeds but got on the wrong one. I wasn't happy I had to wait what seemed ages for one back to Huddersfield.

Re where to live I would also avoid Fartown. Almondbury seemed OK when the brother-in-law lived there.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#7 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,944 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

That's what calling into Wetherpoons for a couple of pints after work does for you. I was supposed to be catching a train in the opposite direction towards Leeds but got on the wrong one. I wasn't happy I had to wait what seemed ages for one back to Huddersfield.

Re where to live I would also avoid Fartown. Almondbury seemed OK when the brother-in-law lived there.

I used to put the bike on there, when the weather was too bad to cycle over Standedge pass (A62)

#8 My Name Is ??

My Name Is ??

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

I lived in Milnsbridge for 4 years and only had one 'anti social' issue which was my car been broken in to and the radio nicked... I was on the Golcar side though but right in the centre... I think the Manchester Road side of the bridge was worse for drug issues.

Golcar/Slaithewaite or Lindley would be my choices if the commute to Bradford wasn't such a pig (colleague lives in Honley and its over an hour each way to BD1). I've heard Honley is ok too, and some nice scenery around there and Holmfirth.

(Re: Almondbury is ok but avoid 'Lower Houses')

Edited by My Name Is ??, 15 January 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#9 Bearback Mountain

Bearback Mountain

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

I am based in Honley.

I would say that Marsden, Slaithwaite, Linthwaite, Honley, Berry Brow is OK in some areas, Brockholes and anywhere including and near Holmfirth really. I cannot speak for others areas of Huddersfield apart from The Colne Valley and Holme Valley though. It seems that crime, violence and illicit behaviour is rampant everwhere these days. Someone get robbed with a hammer at The Top of Chapel Hill the other day.

Also I was jumped in a toilet in a bar in town last year, a lad pretended to put a knife in back and demanded money whilst another lad pretending to wash his hands sneaked up and tried to stone cold knock me out. They didn't get anything from me fortunately as I move like a hawk ha ha ;-) . Depressing stuff I know.

#10 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,974 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

I've been to Almondbury. Some very nice buildings there.

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe."

#11 OzzMosiz

OzzMosiz

Work to live, don't live to work

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Used to have an ex that lived there. Villages like Shelley are very nice.

Edited by OzzMosiz, 07 February 2012 - 10:52 AM.

WRITE TO YOUR MP @ http://www.writetothem.com/

There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

~ Richard Feynman (1918 to 1988)

#12 LeeT

LeeT

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

Let's move to Huddersfield

Edited by LeeT, 16 February 2012 - 03:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users