69 replies to this topic

#31 ska_mna

ska_mna

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

For 13 years we had a government that concentrated on wealth distribution and creating wealth got overlooked. Indded the effects of distribution made it harder for creators.

I'd probably disagree with that. They thought they'd found the golden faucet of wealth creation (finance) and spent accordingly. Their biggest mistake (as has been the mistake of most governments of the West of all political colours) was to put all their faith in the financial industry as biggest driver of wealth creation. Whether they were complicit or just plain ignorant is the question. I think the latter is possibly more likely and indeed more scary; pure incompetence and lack of long term economic nous. I mean if you truly saw all those tax bills coming in from the fantastic finance industry you'd possibly start spending like there was no tomorrow too.... whoohoo we're rich!! :o

#32 South Lorne

South Lorne

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

What is it with so many teachers? That's exactly how they are.

..they have never left school...never grown up ...forever they are arrogant teenagers.... :rolleyes:
The market goes up. The market goes down. It is all about timing. (unless it's rigged)

#33 roadtoruin

roadtoruin

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Military coup? Electoral fraud? No wait, 3 landslide election victories :blink:

Not my fault, gov'ner, too young :P

If 42% can be considered a landslide. Not that labour's 'landslide' was any more democratic than that, but just sayin'...

#34 Austin Allegro

Austin Allegro

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

Of all the teachers that I have had, many were 'good teachers' in the sense that they could instil knowledge mechanically, but only one or two were genuine 'liberal educators' in the sense that they were able to consider things from different perspectives and transcend whatever dogma was fashionable at the time.

It's part of the wider problem of the liberal/left's domination of culture in the west; indeed I would say state school teachers are a kind of high priesthood of liberal/left dogma. The basic problem is this: the liberal left have discovered a kind of political perpetual-motion machine. They can be incredibly reactionary and conservative but at the same time be convinced that they are 'progressive' and 'the nice party'. Right wingers know their policies are unpopular and tough and have to defend them via analysis and argument; the left generally seem incapable of this, in my experience. Just weeks after the Coalition took power, the left were attacking 'tory cuts' as if it had nothing to do with 13 years of their own policies. None so blind as those that cannot see.
Why treat those who call themselves atheists as enemies? Why not simply say to them: ‘We have no quarrel. The “God” whose existence you deny you do well to deny. It is an object among other objects and I deny it also. The necessary ground of all rational thought, on which you and I both depend to make sensible statements, that is what I mean by God.’ Rev Anthony Freeman

#35 PopGun

PopGun

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

Resolute Labour supporters are the same as staunch right wing Tories and die hard liberals, i.e. thick as pig $hit.
"the remarkable result is that under Mrs Thatcher from 1979-90, just as under Tony Blair from 1997-2007, the real value of Housing Equity Withdrawal is larger than the real value of GDP growth"

#36 Badlad1967

Badlad1967

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

Resolute Labour supporters are the same as staunch right wing Tories and die hard liberals, i.e. thick as pig $hit.

Yep - I agree with this to a point - although I feel it is more ingrained with Labour supporters. Almost like a religion. Puking out the bits they like to make a point while conveniently ignoring the "other" facts.......
What goes up, must come down. SPLAT!
UK House Price Correction kicks up a gear 2006

#37 Timak

Timak

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

Anyone who "supports" a political party like they do a football team is generally a bit stupid.

Anyone who thinks there is any significant difference between the political parties or that the political class acts in the interest of normal people is also a bit stupid.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________The correct answer to every statement is "It's a little bit more complicated than that"

#38 Caveat Mortgagor

Caveat Mortgagor

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

I'd probably disagree with that. They thought they'd found the golden faucet of wealth creation (finance) and spent accordingly. Their biggest mistake (as has been the mistake of most governments of the West of all political colours) was to put all their faith in the financial industry as biggest driver of wealth creation. Whether they were complicit or just plain ignorant is the question. I think the latter is possibly more likely and indeed more scary; pure incompetence and lack of long term economic nous. I mean if you truly saw all those tax bills coming in from the fantastic finance industry you'd possibly start spending like there was no tomorrow too.... whoohoo we're rich!! :o

You made the same mistake they did.

Its not wealth creation. It re-distribution. From future to now. From proles to Banksters. From young to the boomers.

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor, 20 October 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#39 Maynardgravy

Maynardgravy

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Anyone who "supports" a political party like they do a football team is generally a bit stupid.

Anyone who thinks there is any significant difference between the political parties or that the political class acts in the interest of normal people is also a bit stupid.

Yes... I have no shame in admitting that I voted Blair in. I was duped into thinking they had a fairer society in mind. I haven't voted since. Those people on here though that consider themselves 'Tory' want to consider what life would be like without the old union-backed labour movement at all.

Of course most would have perished up chimneys in infancy.

#40 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,084 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

whilst at the same time earning twice what those that DO earn

...there are some very good teachers, and some not so good....but as they say if you are on to a good thing, stick with it whether you are good at it or not...imo only the good teachers should be teaching...the not so good cause far more harm than good. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#41 Georgia O'Keeffe

Georgia O'Keeffe

Fondue NOT Raclette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Labour party supporters.....

are as cretinous as tory party supporters, they share a common ground in myopia to the debt/credit/economic cycle but whilst that myopia exists both parties are sound in as much as they have a voting foundation and thats all you need in such a comediacally undemocratic system* as the UK

*which can only reflect on the quality of voter

mmmm beer.....mmmm blue......mmmm red.... mmmm orange.......mmm green...... mmmm peuce with a hint of lilac

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka, 20 October 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#42 the shaping machine

the shaping machine

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

You might consider this. Until 2010, NO labour administration in the history of the Labour movement EVER left office with lower unemployment than they inherited.

Are you sure about the "until 2010" bit?

This graph suggests their record continues :-

unemployment

Edited by the shaping machine, 20 October 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#43 ska_mna

ska_mna

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

You made the same mistake they did.

Its not wealth creation. It re-distribution. From future to now. From proles to Banksters. From young to the boomers.

Yup!

#44 South Lorne

South Lorne

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,418 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

...yes..I suppose it's an extremist's excuse....although they don't know it.... :rolleyes:
The market goes up. The market goes down. It is all about timing. (unless it's rigged)

#45 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,674 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

There are gentlemen, and there are politicians.

Alastair Darling (Labour) is one of the few gentlemen at the Houses of Parliament who came out and told the truth, well against the main party view, that the recession "would only last 6 months", back in 2008. Quote; "The worst financial crisis in 60 years." Daniel Hannan (Conservative), and Nigel Farage (UKIP), I'll add to the list.

untitled.PNG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users