Photo
- - - - -

Hmos Houses In Multiple Occupation - Room Keys Forbidden?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 sims

sims

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

IIRC, fire regs say that it needs to be possible to open the doors from the inside without a key, even when locked, meaning it needs to be one of those thumb-turn locks or something similar.

If the locks they happen to have installed are different (i.e. a 'normal' lock), they probably can't give you keys for your rooms due to fire regs because their locks are non-compliant.. although the underlying reason is that they can't be bothered to install the correct type of lock rather than locks being against fire regs on principle.

#17 My Name Is ??

My Name Is ??

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

The lack of AST would indicate that the LL isn't properly registered as a HMO and is trying to get around this by keeping his 'tenants' as lodgers.

I live in HMO properly done - all rooms have locks which can be unlocked from the inside. Hardwired fire alarms. Fire extinguishers and blankets. Even the PAT testing is done. The agreement between myself and the LL is an AST and my deposit is in the DPS.

#18 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

Spoke to another agent today, they said to me if it's a houseshare then the landlord is covering their ass with this keys business, so as to avoid having to register it as a HMO which hasto have fire doors etc

#19 cartimandua51

cartimandua51

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

The lack of AST would indicate that the LL isn't properly registered as a HMO and is trying to get around this by keeping his 'tenants' as lodgers.

I live in HMO properly done - all rooms have locks which can be unlocked from the inside. Hardwired fire alarms. Fire extinguishers and blankets. Even the PAT testing is done. The agreement between myself and the LL is an AST and my deposit is in the DPS.

Only if he's dim / ill advised / hasn't read the legislation. Lodgers still count as households unless they are family, though I believe you can have two of them. Would have to dig around for the exact link, but the legislators did try very hard to make difficult to wriggle out of the HMO definition.
Posted Image

#20 Mfee

Mfee

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

It'a rubbish. Everybody has their own room with a lock on it. My company rents these out, there is no way we would deny anybody the right to lock their door.

Hi my name is Mike and I知 in need of help with my dissertation. I am looking for landlord volunteers to fill out a simple questionnaire which will take no more than 5 minutes. I知 doing my dissertation on mandatory licencing for HMOs and am trying to get a landlords point of view. The questionnaire is 100% anonymous.
Please click on the following link and it will take you straight to it: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/97Y3SMC
Your time will be much appreciated

Kind Regards
Mike

#21 Mfee

Mfee

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi my name is Mike and I知 in need of help with my dissertation. I am looking for landlord volunteers to fill out a simple questionnaire which will take no more than 5 minutes. I知 doing my dissertation on mandatory licencing for HMOs and am trying to get a landlords point of view. The questionnaire is 100% anonymous.
Please click on the following link and it will take you straight to it: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/97Y3SMC

Kind Regards
Mike

#22 inflating

inflating

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Kind Regards
Mike

try landlordzone

#23 ChumpusRex

ChumpusRex

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Is this now law? That sharers in a HMO cannot have room keys due to it being against the fire regs?

True?

No. This is false.

The law is that the doors (to the rooms) and to the front door, must have a means of "emergency egress". In other words, they should not be able to stop someone getting out in an emergency. The most practical way of doing this is to install a lock which can be turned from the inside without a key.

Insurance grade locks (BS 3621 as are recommended for front doors) are specifically required to block egress (so cannot be opened from the inside without a key). The idea being is that if you can stop a thief from getting out through a door, they'll think twice before trying to hump stuff out of a window.

The problem here is likely that the landlord has installed the wrong type of locks (probably fitting insurance approved locks to the individual room doors), and does not want to change them for the correct type.
Of course there have been winter gales and storms and fog and the like. But in all my experience I have never been in any accident, or any sort worth speaking about. I have seen but one vessel in distress in all my years at sea. I never saw a wreck and never have been wrecked nor was I ever in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort - Capt. Edward J Smith, Captain RMS Titanic

#24 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Kind Regards
Mike

Had a quick look Mike but not really applicable as I'm with a registered provider running HMOs as part of SP contracts so they are already regulated to the nth degree, didn't want to skew your stats. Will populate if you want but it seems to be aimed at private landlords.
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users