#16 Normal

Normal

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hello,
Just received notice my N&SI Inflation bond was about to mature. Normally they'd rollover the bond at the same rate as before (was RPI+1% for 3 years). They have now graciously offered RPI+0.25% for the same term. Given that it's the only tax free way of beating inflation, I feel I'm gonna have to bend over and take this one.

I'm not expecting this to be the last time either :(

Given that the last issue has been withdrawn due to over subscription, there isn't really a "current" issue, so being able to rollover at all is a bonus! IIRC they have always rolled onto the new "current" rate though.

Edited by Hara, 26 September 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#17 14k

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

I don't live in the UK anymore, how do I know they won't rollover mine without asking me first. (Don't have an address in the UK I can use anymore)

When they do mature how is the interest earned paid to me?

I hate these non-internet investments. I hand them 15k pounds and they just give me a piece of paper!

#18 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

I don't live in the UK anymore, how do I know they won't rollover mine without asking me first. (Don't have an address in the UK I can use anymore)

When they do mature how is the interest earned paid to me?

I hate these non-internet investments. I hand them 15k pounds and they just give me a piece of paper!

They send you a letter, if you don;t reply within a coupel of weeks they get either automatcially rolled-over into index-linked or, if you're out of roll-overs, into some rubbish low interest rate paying taxable bond. You get the capital and interest together if you pull them out either at roll-over or by giving notice, no penalty after the first year.

Anyway my reason for bumping this is I remember hearing when they were withdrawn again last year that index-linked would be back on sale in April. Has anybody heard anything on this? I'm particularly interested in whether there will be one issue or two as I'll need to set the money aside.
High house prices - wrecking economies worldwide since 2003

#19 Bruce Banner

Bruce Banner

Targ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,745 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'm wary of index linked bonds that are issued by the creators of the linked index.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest there be any doubt.

No I believe prices will fall and am astounded that a so called Conservative led government could act in such a stupid way. As you can see from today, there are 2,000 HtB applicants and it has been on MSM none stop all day and they make up about 3.5% of a typical months mortgages.

BTL is a good potential way to bankruptcy and yes sometimes I make points to hopefully make people think.

#20 MrB

MrB

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Wondering RE the liklehood of a new issue this year. Not sure whether to tie up 25k with cahoot on a 1 year bond, or hold our for a new issue of these. The tax free bit trumps all.
1. Get up
2. Have a piss
3. Go to work
4. Get back from work

5. Read HPC
6. Watch The Bill
7. Go to bed

Stages 1-4 will happen between 7am and 5.30pm. Stage 5 is happening now. Stage 6 & 7 could happen anytime soon. Protect yourselves: buy an overpriced house!

#21 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

I'm wary of index linked bonds that are issued by the creators of the linked index.

Nothing in this world is pefect, but a fiddled index is better than a taxed return below the fiddled index.

Wondering RE the liklehood of a new issue this year. Not sure whether to tie up 25k with cahoot on a 1 year bond, or hold our for a new issue of these. The tax free bit trumps all.

I have 30k set aside and have been assuming they will be out in April (though one issue - 15k - or two?) but surprised not to have heard anything by 22 March. Will just have to keep checking here.

#22 Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

4 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

If you have previous bonds do you not get an email - I do - telling of new issues.

I don't register my e-mail address Doccy, I rely on paper as it's easier to identify what's important. For up to the minute breaking news I come here.

#23 Quicken

Quicken

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Nothing in this world is pefect, but a fiddled index is better than a taxed return below the fiddled index.

I have 30k set aside and have been assuming they will be out in April (though one issue - 15k - or two?) but surprised not to have heard anything by 22 March. Will just have to keep checking here.

Yeah, it was announced on 23rd March last year (around the budget), but I don't think they came out until end of April or early May. I'm hoping for another batch.

Maybe this year they are waiting for a proportion of people to load up on the new year's ISA's first, so as not to starve the poor banksters of funding.
Q
Remember, if you need Government 'help' to get a mortgage then you are subprime.

Bubble Killer: Wages and salaries for the middle income quintile of non-retired households fell in real terms from 33,100 in 2007/08 to 28,300 in 2011/12. 15% fall.

My Songs: Money for Nothing, Home Foreclosed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users