Photo
- - - - -

Gordon Brown Is Obsessed With Settling Scores. New Book Out.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 tinker

tinker

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

He is exhibit A if the type of narcissistic megalomaniac attracted to politics.

Btw : what's with the reams of signature screed in many of the HPC posts and the quoting of the entire post in the reply ? It makes for cluttered reading. Probably just me.

You're new here, aren't you. ;)

Eric 'Liar Loans' Pebble has a special place in HPC folklore.

#32 satch

satch

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,325 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

He is trying to give Bliar a run for his money according to the Excess ..

"GORDON Brown is taking a £2,000-a-week handout from the taxpayer to fund his work as a former Prime Minister while raking in more than £600,000 from private organis­ations as a globe-trotting speech-maker.

The handout is on top of his generous expenses as an MP.

He was paid £84,000 of the little known Public Duty Costs Allowance in 2010/11 and is entitled to a further £115,000 this year."

Carry on troughing.

In 2010/11 Mr Brown received £172,000 in salary and MP’s office expenses but made just one speech in the Commons.

Mr Brown’s Commons register of interests shows that over the past 12 months, he was paid £630,000 for speeches to banks and other organisations.

Edited by satch, 25 September 2011 - 09:59 AM.

George Osborne July 2013; 'I don't think in the current environment a house price bubble is going to emerge in 18 months or three years.' Mark Carney September 2013; ' ... there has been an improvement in prices and activity (talking about the housing market) Osborne to cabinet as quoted in the Indie October 2013; "Hopefully we will get a little housing boom & everyone will be happy"

Osborne says; “Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed.”

George Osborne December 2008; “Savers and pensioners are the forgotten victims … They are innocent bystanders and it’s simply not good enough for the Government to walk on by."

In his 1997 Budget speech, Gordon Brown said, "I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future". He went on to say that he did not want a return to "instability, speculation and negative equity" of the 1980's and 1990's.

#33 eric pebble

eric pebble

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

He is exhibit A if the type of narcissistic megalomaniac attracted to politics.

Btw : what's with the reams of signature screed in many of the HPC posts and the quoting of the entire post in the reply ? It makes for cluttered reading. Probably just me.

"if"???? Perhaps you mean "of".... :rolleyes:

You're a new boy here aren't you.... :P
What the media today are still not telling us in full - for some reason the lid is being kept on the whole story:
HERE IN THE UK: THE UK SUB-PRIME CATASTROPHE - IT IS NOT ONLY IN AMERICA!! THE UK LIAR LOAN INDUSTRY - Source of FICTITIOUS "MONEY", and the principle driver of the House "Price" Pyramid/Ponzi Scam & Bubble, the "Credit Crunch" - and an unacknowledged major part of and cause of the ensuing Worldwide Financial Crash.
---------------------
The following was reported in a superb documentary in late 2003 - This is now over 10 years ago!! Since then shamefully little has been done here in the UK by journalists/broadcasters to dig down deep on this story - a vast elephant in the room: Why? If you're a serious journalist - here's your story - start investigating - it is the biggest financial scandal of all time:

THE ARTICLES BELOW ARE FROM AS FAR BACK AS 2003!!

Mortgage customers 'urged to lie' - All this was way back in 2003 by the way!!
Housebuyers are being encouraged to break the law in order to obtain huge mortgages, the BBC has discovered. Brokers, and even banking staff, have been telling buyers to lie about their incomes to get bigger and bigger loans. And these underhand tactics could also be the reason why house prices have gone on rising for so long.
CLICK HERE - http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/3222053.stm

"Could you believe that a bank would invite customers to defraud it? It may sound incredible, but that is what some of Britain's biggest mortgage lenders have in effect been doing."
CLICK HERE - http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/3478635.stm

The BBC Money Programme uncovers massive mortgage fraud [2003!]: BBC TWO's The Money Programme has revealed a huge mortgage fraud with brokers from some of Britain's biggest estate agents and financial advice groups advising customers to break the law and lie about their incomes to get massively bigger mortgages. And it shows how the illicit cash raised by this method has been pouring into the housing market, boosting prices and leaving many people risking financial ruin.
CLICK HERE http://www.bbc.co.uk..._mortgage.shtml

AND READ THIS: - http://www.housepric...howtopic=152508
-----------------------------
WATCH THE VIDEO OF THE 2003/4 DOCUMENTARY HERE: -
Click on parts 2 & 3 as you go along watching this video.
------------------------------
AND WATCH THE LATEST VIDEO OF LIAR LOANS STILL IN ACTION HERE in 2008 - http://news.sky.com/.../20080641317257

#34 guitarman001

guitarman001

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

I'm depressed just reading about it. If I were in his company for 2 seconds, I would either quit with depression or punch him in the face, which would be SWEEEEET.

#35 Horridbloke

Horridbloke

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

I'm depressed just reading about it. If I were in his company for 2 seconds, I would either quit with depression or punch him in the face, which would be SWEEEEET.

Don't worry about it. The man is now irrelevant. That's the worst possible punishment.
 The cake is a lie.

#36 tinker

tinker

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Don't worry about it. The man is now irrelevant. That's the worst possible punishment.

Not irrelevant enough.

#37 Goat

Goat

HPC livestock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

I might be sticking my neck on the block.....but he might have been right all along, and could have saved us all.

Perhaps the answer was to pump money into public services and expand the economy, allowing the private sector to flourish in time.

How do you want to fund that expansion?

The markets won't lend to us if they don't think they'll get their money back, ask Greece, Portugal etc.

Shall we just print it? Inflation is already running at 5% how high do you want it to go?

Also, the lesson of the last 13 years is that pumping money into public services generates large numbers of managers and non-jobbers on inflated salaries whilst making little real difference to the quality of the service. I'm not sure how that is supposed to help either.

Unfortunately Gormless Brown & Co. spent so wildly in the good times that the bad times will now be worse than they needed to be.
Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware - anon 1523AD

Told you - Young Goat December 2007AD

We are all waking up to the reality that our houses aren't worth what we thought they were. - David Willetts MP 15 March 2011.

Join today: British Goat Society

#38 thecrashingisles

thecrashingisles

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,042 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

If only he were obsessed with settling his accounts...

#39 bomberbrown

bomberbrown

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

"Gordon Brown"

The contempt I have for this man knows no bounds. That is all.
In the 1950s Local Authorities built over 200,000 homes per year. In 2004 they built just 133.
Housing - Trends in tenure and cross tenure topics (general)

#40 'Bart'

'Bart'

I live on HPC!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,421 posts
  • About Me:Mad as hell

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

Not quite.

Posted Image

#41 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,778 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

Not quite.

Posted Image

Did you not like the man? :lol:

#42 Lepista

Lepista

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts
  • About Me:A 60% falls from peak bear.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

Only because they`re making political mischief. I carry no torch for Gordon Brown, but truly the sums involved were piffling.

Whilst piffling in terms of the UK budget, it would make a nice little nest egg for someone. Not that I'm suggesting that Brown used the opportunity to feather his own nest...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing sedates rationality like large doses of effortless money. After a heady experience of that kind, normally sensible behaviour drift into behaviour akin to that of Cinderella at the ball. They know that overstaying the festivities...will eventually bring on pumpkins and mice. But they nevertheless hate to miss a single minute of what is a helluva party. Therefore, the giddy participants all plan to leave just seconds before midnight. There's a problem, though: They are dancing in a room in which the clocks have no hands."

My favorite post ever:
By Ruffles the Guinea Pig

#43 okaycuckoo

okaycuckoo

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

I thought it quite shameful and pathetic his leaving Downing Street with three human shields.

Naxty!
The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.

#44 7 Year Itch

7 Year Itch

My member's title is Rodney.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves

I am not Ed Balls, I have never been Ed Balls, I have no plans to be Ed Balls and neither am I his speech writer.

I was in fact exploring the juxtaposition of how what once seemed to be a lot of money was now seemingly very small by using the metaphor of pound and pennies. I was not outlining my new philosophy for national economic prosperity.

That is (b)all(s).

There is no ladder.

JY

No need to sell up, the next phase of the economics cycle is going to be very positive for anyone that owns property.

All I'm sayings is, don't listen to the property bears people, they are wrong.

#45 Maggot_with_halitosis

Maggot_with_halitosis

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • About Me:I smell

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

I am not Ed Balls, I have never been Ed Balls, I have no plans to be Ed Balls and neither am I his speech writer.

Only the true Ed Balls denies his divinity.

Do I win £5?
Nein, Herr Hollande Cameron Yellen! Küsst mein Arsch und verpissen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users