#1 TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Could be an interesting day/week.

8:31 a.m. FTSE down 1.6% already....looks like it dropped off a cliff when the stock market opened.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere, 05 September 2011 - 07:33 AM.

#2 shindigger

shindigger

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

8:31 a.m. FTSE down 1.6% already....looks like it dropped off a cliff when the stock market opened.

Shiny rising nicely this morning.
If you want a cheaper house, vote Labour in 2015.

#3 TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:42 AM

I can't help feeling that them buying gold right now as an "investment" are going to loose their shirts. Them that bought 4 years ago will be making a fortune.

Might as well spank all your money on plasma teles, 4x4's and trips to torremolinos then live off the state.

#4 fluffy666

fluffy666

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,187 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

RBS leading them down, as per..

#5 TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

Yes, this is going to be interesting:

top 3 losers !!!!

Royal Bank of Scotland Group

-6.96 %

Barclays

-6.78 %

Lloyds Banking Group

-4.21 %

#6 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

Assume this is re the anticipated downgrade of UK banks.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#7 EvilEdna

EvilEdna

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

Assume this is re the anticipated downgrade of UK banks.

I'd've thought it's more likely the ECB and IMF leaving Greece in a huff, plus the Italians not implementing the austerity measures they've sort of said they would.
"Ireland stands as a shining example of the art of the possible in long-term economic policymaking, and that is why I am in Dublin: to listen and to learn."

George Osborne 2006

#8 MrFlibble

MrFlibble

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

It's still over 5000. Looking at the 10 year chart the buy time looks to be on approach to 3500. More QE will no doubt keep it well away from there :angry:
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves." - Norm Franz

In Gold we trust...

#9 The Spaniard

The Spaniard

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

Similarly index-linked gilts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine a society that recognizes for the first time its need for a universal medium of exchange.

Someone offers to run this new system, on condition that he alone issues the necessary tokens of exchange. He proposes to lend out the tokens for everyone else to use to conduct their business, but only if they pay him interest for this use.

Would you support his proposal or would you think he was trying to scam you? Why would you think that his tokens were better than anyone else's?

Should the medium of exchange be issued collectively and debt-free as a utility for productive enterprise and trade, or should it be lent into existence at interest by a privileged but essentially unproductive minority, as a cost to and as a drag on everyone else?

http://www.positivemoney.org.uk

#10 TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

Has Mr Sugars investment turned sour :lol:

#11 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

It's still over 5000. Looking at the 10 year chart the buy time looks to be on approach to 3500. More QE will no doubt keep it well away from there :angry:

One of the interesting things to come out of Darling's memoirs yesterday was that Mervynn King allegedly backed the Tory view during the 2008/09 crisis saying that there was no money left to do QE.

Where does that leave Merv now? The Tories are now in power and supposedly against QE. He himself was allegedly against QE so it would be a massive U-turn for both Cameron and King to go down the QE route. How would either justify it? How would King explain where the money comes from now if it was supposedly not there a few years ago?
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#12 MrFlibble

MrFlibble

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

I can't help feeling that them buying gold right now as an "investment" are going to loose their shirts. Them that bought 4 years ago will be making a fortune.

Yes the early adopters will be the big winners as when it tops out their seed money will have multiplied the most.

1oz of Gold buys a fine suit, always has, always will. Gold is simply a way to preserve ones suit buying power :lol:
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves." - Norm Franz

In Gold we trust...

#13 EvilEdna

EvilEdna

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

I'd've thought it's more likely the ECB and IMF leaving Greece in a huff, plus the Italians not implementing the austerity measures they've sort of said they would.

No, turns out it's all Christine Lagarde's fault: http://www.guardian....ef-warns-crisis
"Ireland stands as a shining example of the art of the possible in long-term economic policymaking, and that is why I am in Dublin: to listen and to learn."

George Osborne 2006

#14 Guest_flaps_*

Guest_flaps_*

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

Might as well spank all your money on plasma teles, 4x4's and trips to torremolinos then live off the state.

If only I had taken this sensible option years ago, rather than the stupidity of Prudence. Who would have thought personal responsibility could go so tragically wrong.

#15 leicestersq

leicestersq

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

I'm confused. Black Monday, did someone call it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users