2 replies to this topic

#1 mv77

mv77

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

I'm a first time buyer, and am interested in getting a 2/3 bed house in the Tunbridge Wells area.

Tunbridge Wells itself is just out of my budget (200k). But the area around High Brooms station, to the north of Tunbridge Wells, is more affordable.

There is obviously a reason for this. Does anyone on the forum live in the area and could give me their opinion on it?

Thanks in advance.

#2 worried1

worried1

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

I'm a first time buyer, and am interested in getting a 2/3 bed house in the Tunbridge Wells area.

Tunbridge Wells itself is just out of my budget (200k). But the area around High Brooms station, to the north of Tunbridge Wells, is more affordable.

There is obviously a reason for this. Does anyone on the forum live in the area and could give me their opinion on it?

Thanks in advance.

It has always been the poorer area of Tunbridge Wells, probably because of the large proportion of local authority housing in the area and the fact that it is a fair walk to any of the amenities apart from the station.

I'd take a look at the neighoburing properties quite carefully before buying there, but I don't think it is a bad bet at the price.

#3 onlooker

onlooker

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Prices in TWells are generally dictated by proximity to popular schools (primary & secondary). Unfortunately, the primaries in High Brooms are allegedly relatively poor. The caveate to this view, is that the catchment areas are frequently changed due to political considerations. I understand that primary school catchments (where children are assured a place) are now down to a few hundred yards. What this means is that it leaves some otherwise desirable areas of TW on the margins of 2 or 3 catchments, with parents desperately trying to get their child into a better school, but there being no room due to there being too many siblings of existing pupils to accomodate.

Some Victorian terraced houses in High Brooms are very small. My daughter used to rent one where the front door went straight into what purported to be the lounge, but in reality was a large cupboard. I couldn't live in a place like that, but some people like period charm!! It seems the lower you go down the hill towards the station, closer to the working men's club , the more doubtful the area becomes. There is a large hostel for those one brick short of a load, and my daughter used to report regular shouting, fighting and other commotions in the area. Parking is a pain in front of the typical terraced houses as well, especially if its on a steep hill. But proximity to a station with a direct link to London can't be all bad.

Prices in TW seem to be remarkably steady at present, there still seems to be a lot of demand with people ready and able to buy. It looks to me that the keenest group of buyers at present are those looking for good schools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users