51 replies to this topic

#1 HPC Fanatic

HPC Fanatic

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

I've been wanting to buy a new family home for the last 2 years, but nothing has come up. Finally, the house of my dreams is available, recently on the market. Good area, 3 bed detached but priced about 200k over my budget. It's sitting empty, Needs updating because who has an avocado bathroom suite these days? What on earth is going on!!!!!!!!! :angry:

#2 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,412 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

Same in Swansea.

Combination of EA ludicrous valuations, seller denial, low IRs, greed and loads of public sector jobs.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#3 evictee

evictee

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

I've been wanting to buy a new family home for the last 2 years, but nothing has come up. Finally, the house of my dreams is available, recently on the market. Good area, 3 bed detached but priced about 200k over my budget. It's sitting empty, Needs updating because who has an avocado bathroom suite these days? What on earth is going on!!!!!!!!! :angry:

It's ridiculous. A decent 3 bedroom house in Cardiff shouldn't even be 200k, yet alone 200k over budget.

#4 HPC Fanatic

HPC Fanatic

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

It's ridiculous. A decent 3 bedroom house in Cardiff shouldn't even be 200k, yet alone 200k over budget.

Thank you! I know!
EA put up Under Offer sign this week! Who in their right mind would waste their money???

I want to scream from the roof tops - Homeowners stop being so B____y Greedy!

#5 Gavin1927

Gavin1927

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

This is part of the reason I will probably move out of cardiff. I have lived in cardiff all my life but now as a FTB I cant afford a nice house, they are just over priced pieces of crap!! My gf is from Merthyr so it is possible I may go up there. I can get a 3/4 bed detached in a lovely quiet area for the price of a 2 bed terraced in Cardiff. madness!!!!

#6 sparkle-space

sparkle-space

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

This is part of the reason I will probably move out of cardiff. I have lived in cardiff all my life but now as a FTB I cant afford a nice house, they are just over priced pieces of crap!! My gf is from Merthyr so it is possible I may go up there. I can get a 3/4 bed detached in a lovely quiet area for the price of a 2 bed terraced in Cardiff. madness!!!!

We're actually looking to move to Cardiff from mid Wales as there are limited job opportunities here and even more limited affordable houses (3 bed council houses easily go for 150k+). There seem to be a lot of affordable houses in Cardiff in the 120 - 160k range, or are we just looking at really bad areas? Where are the decent areas to live or are they all just vastly overpriced?

#7 Mr. Miyagi

Mr. Miyagi

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • About Me:Bought in 2014 3.8 times salary

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

We're actually looking to move to Cardiff from mid Wales as there are limited job opportunities here and even more limited affordable houses (3 bed council houses easily go for 150k+). There seem to be a lot of affordable houses in Cardiff in the 120 - 160k range, or are we just looking at really bad areas? Where are the decent areas to live or are they all just vastly overpriced?

Not so nice areas
Spoltt
Ely
Grangetown
parts of St Mellons
Gabalfa
Riverside

#8 wheelerfish

wheelerfish

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

Perhaps buy a house you can afford then?

My mate just bought a really nice semi just outside city centre for 130K with back garden and off road parking.

Seriously you cant look at houses for 300/400k as a FTB and then moan that your dream home is too expensive. Houses in Cardiff seem affordable from what I have seen my mate purchase.

#9 Hbird

Hbird

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:12 AM

Perhaps buy a house you can afford then?

My mate just bought a really nice semi just outside city centre for 130K with back garden and off road parking.

Seriously you cant look at houses for 300/400k as a FTB and then moan that your dream home is too expensive. Houses in Cardiff seem affordable from what I have seen my mate purchase.

Appreciate what your trying to say, and it sounds like your mate has got himself a property he his happy with. In all fairness properties in Cardiff under the 150k mark are showing as dropping between 10-15% on property snake, so the potential is there.

Unfortunately for me, my the next step on the ladder isn't offering anywhere near as much in the way of percentage drops.
At present the market we are looking at is only offering 1-6% at best. I'm not a first time buyer, We have a generous deposit, both working, mortgage approved in principle, in rented and ready to go. I also have a young family so schooling needs are also a consideration. My dreams of a the next move being my last are fading, Reallistically, from information out there I can't see properties dropping much more until the interest rates are increased and not sure I can wait another 2 - 5 years. Anyone with advice? :(

#10 wheelerfish

wheelerfish

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Seriously comparing Merthyr prices with Cardiff is as irrelevant as comparing Slough with London.

#11 Swansea Estate Agent

Swansea Estate Agent

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

There is a lack of jobs in Merthyr with many people claiming benefit or commuting to Cardiff for work which is why prices are lower.

If anybody wants to buy a nice big dream house, then they need to look outside of a city or large town.

Or go near to my home town of Burnley :unsure: You can buy a whole street in Burnley for the price of a 2 bed terrace in Merthyr :D

#12 Si1

Si1

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,555 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

not sure I can wait another 2 - 5 years. Anyone with advice? :(

what's wrong, has your current rental not got an inddor toilet or something?

#13 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,412 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

what's wrong, has your current rental not got an inddor toilet or something?

Tragically, such things are indeed still possible in Wales... I think.... :unsure:
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#14 Bumble Dumb

Bumble Dumb

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

I bought a 3-bed semi in Whitchurch last year and I am very happy with it. I don't find prices here in Cardiff to be unreasonable at all.

#15 Woot

Woot

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

How odd that suddenly a few people have joined saying that prices in Cardiff are reasonable. :huh: When you consider what the average salary is in Cardiff, then compare that with average house prices, I'd suggest that the prices are still a pretty long way from reasonable... in fact it's surprising that many 'average' people in Cardiff can afford a place at all.

:blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users