8 replies to this topic

#1 A.steve

A.steve

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

I know there's another thread about Oxford - but I'm hoping to be given some hints that would be off-topic there.

I'm thinking about short-term renting then long-term buying in the Oxford area - and am trying to get a feel not only for how much things cost (where Rightmove/PropertyBee are most useful) but also for which areas might suit me...

As a guide, minimum requirement is for 2-bedrooms for beds; 1-study; lounge; kitchen... dining room would be nice. Parking essential (1 or 2 cars) - garage nice in the short term - essential in the long term. I like light large airy rooms and solid buildings - and views.

I'm looking for quiet area - ideally where I won't be disturbed by neighbours (or vice-versa - not that I'm really noisy.) - so no main/busy roads or windows/doors opening onto footpaths. I don't enjoy gardening... but like big open spaces. It would need to be somewhere I'd not be worried about crime (mainly because I like a friendly atmosphere and hate the idea of being burgled - not that I appear a victim or have lots of valuable stuff to steal.) It should be within a maximum 20-30 minute drive from the University area.

Short term (for a year, two - maybe more) extra rooms would be no particular benefit... but longer term... more space might well be useful/required - difficult to anticipate.

So... Where would locals recommend? Where are the most desirable areas to live in and around Oxford - and how much of a premium would they cost over cheaper areas? Is the answer similar to rent as to buy? Are there any 'undesirable areas' that are best to avoid? Are there areas that are wildly posh/expensive - and, if so, are they similarly expensive to rent as buy?

#2 123Jim

123Jim

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

I know there's another thread about Oxford - but I'm hoping to be given some hints that would be off-topic there.

I'm thinking about short-term renting then long-term buying in the Oxford area - and am trying to get a feel not only for how much things cost (where Rightmove/PropertyBee are most useful) but also for which areas might suit me...

As a guide, minimum requirement is for 2-bedrooms for beds; 1-study; lounge; kitchen... dining room would be nice. Parking essential (1 or 2 cars) - garage nice in the short term - essential in the long term. I like light large airy rooms and solid buildings - and views.

I'm looking for quiet area - ideally where I won't be disturbed by neighbours (or vice-versa - not that I'm really noisy.) - so no main/busy roads or windows/doors opening onto footpaths. I don't enjoy gardening... but like big open spaces. It would need to be somewhere I'd not be worried about crime (mainly because I like a friendly atmosphere and hate the idea of being burgled - not that I appear a victim or have lots of valuable stuff to steal.) It should be within a maximum 20-30 minute drive from the University area.

Short term (for a year, two - maybe more) extra rooms would be no particular benefit... but longer term... more space might well be useful/required - difficult to anticipate.

So... Where would locals recommend? Where are the most desirable areas to live in and around Oxford - and how much of a premium would they cost over cheaper areas? Is the answer similar to rent as to buy? Are there any 'undesirable areas' that are best to avoid? Are there areas that are wildly posh/expensive - and, if so, are they similarly expensive to rent as buy?

Where to start, central-ish areas
Most "desirable"-Jericho/North Oxford, close to centre but next to no room or parking space and pay 300k+ for a decent flat. Only views of the canal and beardy academics.
"Edgy" but up and coming and the place to be - St Clements and Cowley cum Iffley Road. Cheapr, more exciting and the biz. Not quiet, some parking, walk into town. Views of trendy students, trendy trendies and occasional hippy or chav.
Botley-boring but a bit cheaper then North Ox and still near the station.
Wolvercote - boring and cheaper and further from the station. More views of nature and canal.
Iffley- nice ish, medium in everything
Headington, noisy ambulances with sirens near main road, cheap to let a 3 bed semi, and decent general environment. Oxford Poly sorry Brookes on hand and JR Hospital so plenty of students and nurses if you need seeing to.

20 mins drive means nothing depends on time of day and where your car park is, but sounds like Uni

From your description I d look at Yarnton or Wolvercote to start renting, sensible drive. If you drive in early, Woodstock would be reachable and is delightful.

#3 A.steve

A.steve

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,235 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Many thanks for those hints...

#4 bubu2000

bubu2000

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hi I agree completely with the description of oxford areas. Coming in to the city from the south (Grove), getting in to town via Botley is a nightmare in the mornings although my husband worked at Summertown and found it generally OK as he bypassed the worst traffic, cutting round to the north.

We're a bit further out, but you could look at Abingdon, cheaper and well connected by public transport to oxford. The centre is horrible but there are some beautiful bits by the river and plenty of leisure activities.

#5 i wanna house

i wanna house

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

i used to rent a room in Jerico overlooking the canal for a 100 a month. The factory was still there then though :(, the the Jerico tavern had bands playing upstairs.

#6 Patfig

Patfig

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,781 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

If yuo dont mind being a few miles out have a look at Cumnor / Cumnor Hill
Life is like a sh1t sandwich, the more bread the better!

#7 Bobajobbob

Bobajobbob

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

I grew up in Wolvercote. Ugly house but my back garden was Port Meadow and my views were the dreaming spires. Quiet little village in North Oxford but if you can find a house facing the meadow it is hard to beat. Short drive to Summertown or Oxford city centre.

#8 Patfig

Patfig

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,781 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

I grew up in Wolvercote. Ugly house but my back garden was Port Meadow and my views were the dreaming spires. Quiet little village in North Oxford but if you can find a house facing the meadow it is hard to beat. Short drive to Summertown or Oxford city centre.

or walk down the riverbank
Life is like a sh1t sandwich, the more bread the better!

#9 Bobajobbob

Bobajobbob

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Long walk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users