11 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

I'm possibly going back to uni for a 4 years next year. I'd be in Plymouth and would possibly buy a 2 bed place to live in and rent out a room.

Now, I realise Plymouth has improved over recent years but I was wondering where to consider and where to avoid like the bubonic plague.

Thanks in advance
Visit my websites and help me retire youngish! : Cornwall | Devon | Dorset | Somerset | The Cotswolds | surf reports

#2 swissy_fit

swissy_fit

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

I'm possibly going back to uni for a 4 years next year. I'd be in Plymouth and would possibly buy a 2 bed place to live in and rent out a room.
Now, I realise Plymouth has improved over recent years but I was wondering where to consider and where to avoid like the bubonic plague.
Thanks in advance

Take out insurance against them going bust, they're on the list of universities in danger of this I believe.
Property still well overpriced relative to local incomes I think.
I looked at a 2-bed flat in Mutley in 1994, priced at 26k, could have probably got it for 22/23K. People in Plymouth don't earn 3-4 times what they earned in 1994(which was s*d all at the time)
If you want to know what the next political move will be, ask yourself what will suit the banks, and behold, the answer will come to you.

The Credit Crunch :
The logical financial outcome is deflation. The logical political outcome is inflation. (Thanks to Injin 21st Sept 2008)

#3 porca misèria

porca misèria

Porcine Aviation Enterprises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,833 posts
  • About Me:pig

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

Not going to suggest areas: it depends on what you like, and what you need. A lot of student-land is actually rather nice (at least, comparatively speaking).

Worth noting though: Plimuff is one of those cities where you expect to get a better deal buying than renting. In contrast to surrounding rural areas, where you pay no more (sometimes less) to rent, yet twice as much to buy.

#4 bricor mortis

bricor mortis

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Anything West of the City Centre is a no no.
Some parts of Lipson, e.g. around Salisbury rd are worth a look for Uni proximity, ( 20 min stroll ). Nice terraced houses, relatively safe at night.
they hand you a nickel...they hand you a dime...they ask you with a grin if your'e havin' a good time..its a shame the way they make me scrub the floor...

#5 porca misèria

porca misèria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,833 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

Er, why?

You got a vested interest in students not coming to Stoke or Devonport?

#6 Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

Some parts of Lipson, e.g. around Salisbury rd are worth a look for Uni proximity, ( 20 min stroll ). Nice terraced houses, relatively safe at night.

Agree with this. I used to live just up the road from Salisbury Road and it was mostly OK. Not the sort of place you park a nice car on the street but you won't be in fear of your life either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 bricor mortis

bricor mortis

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

Er, why?

You got a vested interest in students not coming to Stoke or Devonport?

No.
Just most private housing areas that would be an easy plod to the Uni that would be on my list of places I would not wish to inhabit would be to the West side of Plymouth. Stonehouse and Demport in particular. Stoke area is tolerable but not so convenient for the uni ,eg stoke village, bit of a long walk.
they hand you a nickel...they hand you a dime...they ask you with a grin if your'e havin' a good time..its a shame the way they make me scrub the floor...

#8 porca misèria

porca misèria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,833 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

No.
Just most private housing areas that would be an easy plod to the Uni that would be on my list of places I would not wish to inhabit would be to the West side of Plymouth. Stonehouse and Demport in particular. Stoke area is tolerable but not so convenient for the uni ,eg stoke village, bit of a long walk.

Agreed, my student self would've been far too impatient to do that walk on a regular basis. That's why I had a bike when I was at Girton, a couple of miles out from Cambridge. Stoke Village to Plymouth Uni is a shorter distance, though perhaps a slightly longer bike ride due to hills. But they're only little hills, nothing to worry about!

Never quite got my head around Stonehouse. Lots of scary-looking stuff alongside some beautiful buildings. And then there's Royal William Yard, with some of Plymouth's most expensive addresses. Devonport too: don't you see some traces of Islington syndrome there?

Also slightly west of centre, Pennycomequick looks acceptable, and the area around Wilton street is I think technically Stoke but also pretty central.

#9 Hold Fast

Hold Fast

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Also slightly west of centre, Pennycomequick looks acceptable, and the area around Wilton street is I think technically Stoke but also pretty central.

Stoke is a mixed bag, some nice streets some rubbish. Wilton Street Its a lot better since that crack/smack house got cleared out a few years back. You might want to stay away from Victoria Park at night though :-)

I always went for mutley in my younger years but most of the people I know who went uni there lived in St Judes. Give that a try. No pubs there though (part of the original land sale conditions by Lady Astor I believe).

#10 porca misèria

porca misèria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,833 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Stoke is a mixed bag, some nice streets some rubbish. Wilton Street Its a lot better since that crack/smack house got cleared out a few years back. You might want to stay away from Victoria Park at night though :-)

I always went for mutley in my younger years but most of the people I know who went uni there lived in St Judes. Give that a try. No pubs there though (part of the original land sale conditions by Lady Astor I believe).

Mutley and St Judes (and Lipson) both look like decent-enough mixed areas. Around Greenbank looks student-dominated to the extent of suffering from it.

Now you mention it, I'm slightly curious about North Hill. Some nice-enough looking places (like Shaftesbury Cottages or Skardon Place) looking infeasibly cheap: are they blighted for non-students by student life?

#11 bricor mortis

bricor mortis

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Mutley and St Judes (and Lipson) both look like decent-enough mixed areas. Around Greenbank looks student-dominated to the extent of suffering from it.

Now you mention it, I'm slightly curious about North Hill. Some nice-enough looking places (like Shaftesbury Cottages or Skardon Place) looking infeasibly cheap: are they blighted for non-students by student life?

Parking can be the issue there, ( lack of )
Also students as you mention that.

#12 Hold Fast

Hold Fast

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

As mortis said, parking can be a nightmare on North Hill. You're right next to the uni and a load of student bars, especially ride/cuba and fuel (might have changed names in the many years since I was last in any of them!) and the all night Spar. If that's not your thing I'd give it a miss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users