15 replies to this topic

#1 mollyholly

mollyholly

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

Hello everyone, having moved to London from bristol for a year, I am currently renting in docklands as it is nearby work.
However, me and my husband are starting a family soon, and want to find some place easy to commute to canary wharf and liverpool street, but want some place like Somerset (near the country side).

I don't really want to bring up my child in a busy east London (strarford alike) location,

currently looked at some houses in chelmsford, which I think is commutable.#

However, some friends are suggesting Benfleet,
I don't know much about it.

Can anybody give some advice?
many thanks.
:rolleyes:

#2 skomer

skomer

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Depends on what you can afford lol but why Essex?

If you are wanting prettier countryside (far better than Essex) closer to London and fast access to the City (Cannon Street & London Bridge and Canary Wharf (Via the Jubilee line London Bridge) then look at the Kent side of London from the outer boroughs like Bromley & Orpington through Sevenoaks down to Tonbridge and beyond.

Also has very good access to the West End via Charing Cross and the reputation of the schools is pretty good like Essex.

#3 mollyholly

mollyholly

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:24 AM

Depends on what you can afford lol but why Essex?

If you are wanting prettier countryside (far better than Essex) closer to London and fast access to the City (Cannon Street & London Bridge and Canary Wharf (Via the Jubilee line London Bridge) then look at the Kent side of London from the outer boroughs like Bromley & Orpington through Sevenoaks down to Tonbridge and beyond.

Also has very good access to the West End via Charing Cross and the reputation of the schools is pretty good like Essex.

Hi Skomer, thank you for your information.
I thought Kent (bromley etc.) Price are higher than Essex?
maybe I am wrong.
Our budget is max 350,000.

#4 Bankside

Bankside

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

maybe I am wrong.

Hi Molly,

I know some of Essex well. Chelmsford isn't too bad a place. Your money will go a fair way but you'll have to decide if you want to be in the middle of town with a walk to the station, or in one of the outer areas, which are IMHO nicer but will need a bus, car, or bike ride to the station. I particularly like Writtle and Great Baddow.

If you want to stretch your budget a little, then look at Ingatestone. It's got fast trains to Liverpool St (27 mins) or I think some stop at Stratford for you to change onto the DLR or Jubilee line for Docklands. It has decent State schools, some nice pubs and places to eat and lots of green spaces.

Further out of Essex can be lovely but the commute and cost will go up proportionately.

Good luck and let me know if I can help

Bankside

#5 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,031 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

maybe I am wrong.

Take a look at Romford or one of the leafy suburbs such as Gidea Park, 20 minutes to Liverpool street, change at Stratford for the DLR or Jubilee to CW.

Nearest Central and District Line trains are a bus ride away.

I liked Gidea Park a lot, and miss it. For 270k would get a semi-detached. My ex landlord paid 340k for a 3 bed semi with big garden, but that was at the peak and I've not seem any houses on that street match that price.

You'll get an Romford/Essex house for the cost of a Docklands slave box.

Well worth a look IMO, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back, if work/circumstances changed.

I did used to cycle into Canary Wharf, obviously not everyone wants to do that.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#6 mollyholly

mollyholly

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

Hi Molly,

I know some of Essex well. Chelmsford isn't too bad a place. Your money will go a fair way but you'll have to decide if you want to be in the middle of town with a walk to the station, or in one of the outer areas, which are IMHO nicer but will need a bus, car, or bike ride to the station. I particularly like Writtle and Great Baddow.

If you want to stretch your budget a little, then look at Ingatestone. It's got fast trains to Liverpool St (27 mins) or I think some stop at Stratford for you to change onto the DLR or Jubilee line for Docklands. It has decent State schools, some nice pubs and places to eat and lots of green spaces.

Further out of Essex can be lovely but the commute and cost will go up proportionately.

Good luck and let me know if I can help

Bankside

Hi Bank side, thank you for the information.
I only looked at broomfield area in chelmsford at the moment.
Will look at the other areas you mentioned.
great help!
:)

#7 mollyholly

mollyholly

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

Take a look at Romford or one of the leafy suburbs such as Gidea Park, 20 minutes to Liverpool street, change at Stratford for the DLR or Jubilee to CW.

Nearest Central and District Line trains are a bus ride away.

I liked Gidea Park a lot, and miss it. For 270k would get a semi-detached. My ex landlord paid 340k for a 3 bed semi with big garden, but that was at the peak and I've not seem any houses on that street match that price.

You'll get an Romford/Essex house for the cost of a Docklands slave box.

Well worth a look IMO, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back, if work/circumstances changed.

I did used to cycle into Canary Wharf, obviously not everyone wants to do that.

Hi John, would gidea park be a busy area? is it quiet?
I guess every area need to take a look.
:lol:

#8 grandmaster

grandmaster

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

I commuted from Witham to London Liverpool Street for a long time. It's about 45-50 minutes (lop off ten minutes if you get off at Stratford).

Witham is significantly cheaper than Chelmsford and has very good transport links. You can get a four bed detached house in a reasonably nice area for 250,000. I know for a fact that barely anything is selling between 250,000 to 300,000 so if you have financing sorted, you could get a good deal.

#9 mollyholly

mollyholly

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

thanks grandmaster.

#10 Pent Up

Pent Up

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:09 AM

Hi Bank side, thank you for the information.
I only looked at broomfield area in chelmsford at the moment.
Will look at the other areas you mentioned.
great help!
:)

Broomfield is nice, it's one of the areas I'll be looking at when I come to buy. Although I wouldn't want to live there and commute to London. I expect to drive the short distance to the station would take quite a while in rush hour. Might be worth doing a test drive if you are seriously considering it.

Ignore what the other poster said, Essex has some beautiful countryside and some very nice country villages. All with a serious drive to the nearest station though. It's a shame the central line to Ongar closed. You could have lived in Greensted. A lovely village surrounded by countryside and just a short walk down a county lane to the London underground station! The line only goes as far as Epping now which is sort of half thinks it's a London borough (with almost London prices!) and half a countryside town.
Remember that buying a house is a highly leveraged investment and can result in losses that exceed your initial deposit. Buying a house may not be suitable for everyone, so please ensure that you fully understand the risks involved.

"The time to buy is when blood is running in the streets" Baron Nathan Rothschild

#11 wherebee

wherebee

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • About Me:So I bought a house in Australia in June 2014. Expect a collapse in the western world within 12 months.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

If you are working at canary wharf, do not go south into kent - the changes to get out to the wharf add 20-30 minutes to your journey.

Benfleet to Chalkwell has some really nice areas. even southend, but avoid the estates and center.

There is always death and taxes; however, death doesn't get worse every year.....

How the flipping 'eck did we get to 2014 without flying cars and laser guns?

#12 tim123

tim123

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

I had a friend lived in one of the Tolleshunt villages.

Great period house, gorgeous area. You'll need to drive to the station everyday though (in fact you'll need to drive absolutely everywhere!)

#13 aSecureTenant

aSecureTenant

Formerly Socially Housed and 'Steed'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,031 posts
  • About Me:Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hi John, would gidea park be a busy area? is it quiet?
I guess every area need to take a look.
:lol:

If you live in the main road it will busiest, but still not too bad. Plenty of nice tree lined avenue's. Not so many apartments though. I loved it actually and the countryside isn't too far away.

"Capitalism has defeated communism. It is now well on its way to defeating democracy" ~ David Korten

“To think output and income can be raised by increasing the quantity of money, is like trying to get fat by buying a larger belt” ~ John Maynard Keynes 

#14 John The Pessimist

John The Pessimist

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

I've recently moved to the Tolleshunt Sound area. Village life is good, the locals are friendly, and prices are dropping (albeit slowly).

Cars are essential! You can get into some good village schools reasonably easily, but secondary level is very competitive.

I travel into Bromley by Bow by car every day. If you can flex your travel times, 70 - 80 mins is very do-able. But there will be days when it'll be 2 hours.

You also have the choice of 3 good towns, Maldon, Chelmsford and Colchester.

PM me if I can advise/help with anything.
Democracy only lasts until the unworthy discover that they can vote themselves the treasury.

You can choose the price you sell your house for, and you can choose when to sell your house, but you can't choose both.

#15 mollyholly

mollyholly

HPC Newbie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Guys, all the information are very useful.
Unfortunately our purchase plan is delayed as we don't have enough deposit until this year end.
Hopefully the market stays the same by then.
Watch this space! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users