House Price Crash Forum

Colour Photographs Of The Great Depression

Milton

HOLA441
HOLA442

If you ever get to see these full size, high resolution, they really are amazing quality, and put the majority of digital cameras today, to shame. Beautiful and harsh times, though most of these are the early 1940's, so really starting to come out the Great Depression by then, no?

HOLA443

There were fantastic! Proper colour as well, not colorized. Imagine they had been taken just 14 or 15 years previous you could see the Roaring 20s in action in true colour. Where are the full-blown versions? Nice that they are dated too. Any earlier ones?

These are a timely reminder of the passage of time. The adults in most of those photos almost certainly are no longer with us or are well into their 90s or 100s if they are.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Thanks Dan1. Those pics are stunning.

Great photos. They remind me of the Prokudin-Gorskii (photographer to Tsar Nicholas II) colour photos from around 1910:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/images/

Its amazing (to me at least) how different they are to B&W images from the same period, almost as though the photos were taken yesterday with people wearing period costumes!

p87-8086.jpg

post-29568-0-71940400-1306314659_thumb.jpg

HOLA446

Thanks Dan1. Those pics are stunning.

YW. Interesting to see USA pre globalisation.

They say Nostalgia is always 50 years old....

Edited by Dan1

HOLA447
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA448

Great photos. They remind me of the Prokudin-Gorskii (photographer to Tsar Nicholas II) colour photos from around 1910:

http://www.loc.gov/e.../empire/images/

Its amazing (to me at least) how different they are to B&W images from the same period, almost as though the photos were taken yesterday with people wearing period costumes!

p87-8086.jpg

His unique images of Russia on the eve of revolution--recorded on glass plates--were purchased by the Library of Congress in 1948 from his heirs. For this exhibition, the glass plates have been scanned and, through an innovative process known as digichromatography, brilliant color images have been produced

• 2 months later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/images/

p87-8086.jpg

Some really nice studies in that collection. The Sunni Muslim man looks particularly dangerous!

p87_7009__01476_.jpg