23 replies to this topic

#16 leicestersq

leicestersq

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

Even so, he didn't have to put a link to this site or even mention it.

Just because a big shot journo is giving an acknowledgement in payment of a debt of gratitude for economic enlightenment given by this site, it doesnt mean we have to be grateful in turn. That is the HPC way, no mercy, even for those that want to be our friends.

Bloody parasites.

#17 _w_

_w_

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Just because a big shot journo is giving an acknowledgement in payment of a debt of gratitude for economic enlightenment given by this site, it doesnt mean we have to be grateful in turn. That is the HPC way, no mercy, even for those that want to be our friends.

Bloody parasites.

:lol:

Are you always like this or did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
–Frederic Bastiat

#18 The Planet

The Planet

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • About Me:I'm an independent freelance who writes the blog Planet Property.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

Good piece by Cowie but I don't think it's a honey trap, I think it's a PR response to the recent report that one of their top men said they'd prefer to lend at 75% to investors than at 95% to first time buyers

http://planetpropert...housing-market/

#19 CrashConnoisseur

CrashConnoisseur

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

It wasn't that long ago that Cowie was writing about how wonderful it was that homeowners had "a unique opportunity to enjoy tax free profits" (not that exact working).

So don't put the wording between quotation marks.

#20 pl1

pl1

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

That article is over a month old, I'm sure it's already been mentioned.

#21 GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

I first found HPC back in 2006 when it was specifically mentioned in a Edmund "Russ" Conway Daily Telegraph article - http://www.telegraph...t-think-so.html

Word on the street: Apocalypse now? Having read the signs, I don't think so
Edmund Conway 12:01AM BST 22 Jul 2006

Edmund Conway, the Daily Telegraph's Economics Editor, offers expert inside knowledge of the housing market

House price forecasts aren't the kind of thing one gets into fisticuffs over. Or so I thought until I found myself in a fevered discussion with a friend-of-a-friend in the pub. The topic of the housing market came up, and I volunteered my predictions.

"Really," he said. "You really think everything's going to be OK?" I answered that provided prices don't rise too much in the next couple of years, there is only a distant chance of the market collapsing.

"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "I've no doubt at all there's going to be a crash."

He continued that houses are more unaffordable than they've ever been; we are more indebted than we've ever been, and that interest rates and unemployment are about to rise.

"It is," he concluded, "all about to end in tears."

It wasn't the man's views that I found disturbing. It is quite reasonable to assume that the market could crash: prices are indeed still high and various scenarios could set off a serious slump. No, what was disturbing was the fervour and slightly unhinged aggression.

Not only was he convinced that the economics meant a crash was inevitable; he was also convinced that the past decade's boom had been engineered by homeowners for their own benefit and to the intentional detriment of potential first-time buyers.

It seems there is quite a cabal of people in his court. They congregate online at a website called housepricecrash.co.uk, where they exchange views on why it is better to rent than to buy, and place bets on how long it will take before prices slide back to mid-1990s levels.

I wouldn't recommend the site to anyone looking for a balanced take on the market: many of its users seem to have a positive vendetta against homeowners.

Check out a few of the most popular forums on the site: The Arguments For Rising House Prices Debunked, The Perfect Storm Is Coming and Are We Living In One Huge Scam?

To which the answer is, of course, no. Nobody - not me, not economists, not even Mervyn King, the governor of the Bank of England - knows what will happen to house prices.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nobody saw "it" coming? Edmund Conway, the Telegraph's "Economics Editor", who apparently has "expert inside knowledge of the housing market", certainly didn't. The chump.

Edmund, this next one's specifically at you: :lol:

Well done.

#22 GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

Check out a few of the most popular forums on the site: The Arguments For Rising House Prices Debunked, The Perfect Storm Is Coming and Are We Living In One Huge Scam?

To which the answer is, of course, no. Nobody - not me, not economists, not even Mervyn King, the governor of the Bank of England - knows what will happen to house prices.

HPC: The Arguments For Rising House Prices Debunked (29 December 2004)

HPC: Are We Living In One Huge Scam (13 March 2005)

HPC: Are We Living In One Huge Scam (Unknown : MIA) :ph34r:
( Who posted in: The Perfect Storm Is Coming )

Posted Image

Edmund Conway blog

I was, until recently, Economics Editor of The Telegraph, but these days I am at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard, where I will blog occasionally when I'm not knee-deep in homework.

Back to school :D

#23 Caveat Mortgagor

Caveat Mortgagor

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

http://www.telegraph...-to-plunge.html

'House prices are not going to plunge'

The latest fall in house prices recorded by Nationwide and the Land Registry underlines the unsettled state of the housing market.

In particular i like this bit of straw grasping

While a strong uplift in prices looks highly unlikely, first-time buyers desperate to get on the housing ladder will be disappointed to hear that so too does a significant plunge. Low levels of activity will continue as more people lose their jobs and get further into debt, while mortgage availability remains tight. We are unlikely to see an improvement in any of these as household spending remains under pressure until well into next year.

A plunge is unlikely becasue a number of factors that would be consistent with falling prices are all aligned. She could only have sounded more ridiculous if she had mentioned that the numbers falling behind with mortgage payments is climbing despite the record low interest rates; low rates that must come to an end soon!

I smell fear!

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor, 04 May 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#24 juvenal

juvenal

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

Bloody parasites.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right on, bro....

Edited by juvenal, 04 May 2011 - 04:46 PM.

'And while I live, no fool or noble knave
Shall walk this world, in credit, to his grave..'

'The pension system has been a very nice gravy train for all of those involved except for those paying into it.'

'Let's see if we can get it for the asking price..' Kirstie Allsop

"Be under no illusion. You will not escape the net..." S'rAlan Sugar

Sex, drugs and sausage rolls...

The House of Lords: 'The Ermine Vermin....'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users