1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.
The Yanks are flag crazy, even having a 'flag day'.
2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights - Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.
Ever hear of Gitmo, or Abu Ghraib? An open policy detention without charge, torture (waterboarding), rendition, etc...
3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause - The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.
Boo, kids! Scary brown skinned man!
4. Supremacy of the Military - Even when there are widespread
domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.
US Military budget, versus world
5. Rampant Sexism - The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Divorce, abortion and homosexuality are suppressed and the state is represented as the ultimate guardian of the family institution.
I'd say that the Yanks and Chinese are on equal footing here.
6. Controlled Mass Media - Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.
Fox, CNN, etc... bringing you daily rubbish and manipulation. Glen Back, Bill OReilly, Rush Limbaugh, Jim Cramer, etc...
7. Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.
Department of Homeland Security, TSA, complete federal and state ignorance of the posse cometas act, any others
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined - Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.
Lower states are denominated heavily by right wing Christian nutcases, and they actively seek to bar Darwin's evolution theory in place of their own creationism pipe dream, ie man walked with dinosaurs, or whatever.
9. Corporate Power is Protected - The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.
And the rest...
10. Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.
Ohio governor signs anti-union bill
Wisconsin passes anti-union law in labor rebuke
And the rest, just look for yourself
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts - Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.
World Incarceration rates:
United States, greater than 1 in 100
China, roughly 1 in 1000
However, China does lead in executions. Perhaps that's not a bad thing IMO.
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption - Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.
Wall Street? Federal Reserve? Wal-Mart Stores, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, General Electric, Bank of America Corp., ConocoPhillips, AT&T, Ford Motor, J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., Hewlett-Packard, Berkshire Hathaway, Citigroup, Verizon Communications, McKesson, General Motors..
14. Fraudulent Elections - Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
Remember Bush II, Florida, 'Hanging Chads' etc...