40 replies to this topic

#16 Joan of The Tower

Joan of The Tower

HPC Shoeboxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

It's easy to look for the enemy without, it's much harder to accept that it is ordinary folks in your own towns doing the damage.

I know someone who lives in Wales and is hoovering up BTL in Wales as fast as he can to provide a retirement.(says he needs 15 or so properties). It's a national disease that trancends borders, class etc. I'm from the northern province and it's exactly the same there- people shafting their neighbours, day after day.

Look out Dave, you will soon be handing the keys back mate.

The knimbies who say "No" demand..... a sacrifice!
Arthur: Knimbies of No, we are but simple hardworking families who seek affordable housing on the scrubland beyond these woods.
Knimbies of No: No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!
Bedevere: Please stop opposing our reasonable demands!
Knimby of No: We shall say "No" to you... if you do not appease us.
Arthur: Well what is it you want?
Knimby of No: We will allow you to build your precious high density shoeboxes, so long as you do not move so much as....

(pregnant pause)

A SHRUBBERY!!!!

#17 silver surfer

silver surfer

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

....all sales are to cash buyers surely, an agreed mortgage subject to survey is exactly the same as cash....a strong reliable chain if you have one helps also. ;)

Two very big "ifs" there

#18 7clubs

7clubs

HPC Poster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

I am currently in Wales - at The Celtic Manor, for those who know it. First time back in 9 years, the restaurant was rammed last night and it ain't cheap. I also went back to my alma mater in Swansea, boy has the housing landscape of that place changed in the last 15 or so years. Funny thing is, as TMT observes, the average Joe there has as little cash as he did 20 years ago, so where is all the money coming from?

I also had a conspiratorial thought about the Wales situation. If it is true that most of the Welsh have a huge disdain for the English (and, based on my experience as an English student in Wales, that is an understatement) and if it is true that the majority of the population rely on the public purse for income, either via benefits or public sector employment, surely they are merely milking the (English-dominated and funded) system for all they can before it goes down and/or are helping to bring down that same (English) system from within?

#19 rantnrave

rantnrave

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

I also had a conspiratorial thought about the Wales situation. If it is true that most of the Welsh have a huge disdain for the English (and, based on my experience as an English student in Wales, that is an understatement)...

Considered studying at Aberystwyth Uni. At the open day, the student showing us round told us to make sure that if we didn't want to live in a Welsh speaking hall of residence that we state that on our application form. My enthusiasm to study there melted away at that point.

#20 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,825 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

I STR'd in 2005 and am now trying to buy a detached family house in Lymington, Hampshire. As a cash buyer I thought it would be pretty straightforward. I asked the EA what percentage of detached houses went to cash buyers? She looked a bit surprised at the question, "virtually all of course".

:blink:

:lol: You didn't think that may be a brazen lie to stop you thinking you had any negotiating power for being a cash buyer?

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe."

#21 silver surfer

silver surfer

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

:lol: You didn't think that may be a brazen lie to stop you thinking you had any negotiating power for being a cash buyer?

Good point, except this particular EA is dense to the point of pathological honesty!

#22 winkie

winkie

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,385 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

It is a problem, rich people can in theory outbid poorer people and buy all the housing.

The only solution to this issue is for a highly progressive tax on property. Second homes should attract a vastly higher council tax than a single property, making the costs of ownership much higher for second home owners.

To get around fraud, it would make sense to have a register of all UK citizens. All properties would attract a very high rate of tax. You can get a discount against the tax by letting them know your citizens number (NI no perhaps). You get a bigger discount if you are a couple living in said property.

Get the numbers right, and you can put all of this tax on to the shoulders of people that buy larger properties and more than one property, giving people with less means more power in the housing market, at the expense of richer people.

At the moment, the tax system in housing is very regressive, meaning the richer pay less, and as a result are pricing out poorer people, part of what this website is trying to oppose. That has to change.

Yes, that has to change......but the powerful and rich will resist that change......the 'squeezed middle' and the young will soon see it for what it is....resentment is slowly building up...the cushioned and comfy will soon have to both listen AND act. ;)
What you don't owe won't worry you.

Less can be more.

#23 tomandlu

tomandlu

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Good point, except this particular EA is dense to the point of pathological honesty!

Maybe they misunderstood the question and thought you meant people bartering live stock?
Buy my book "All the Way Home"

#24 hotairmail

hotairmail

Tired of life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,825 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

Beware the cunning of stupidity!

"The chicken is radiating disorder out into the wider universe."

#25 silver surfer

silver surfer

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Beware the cunning of stupidity!

I'll BEAR it in mind.

#26 StainlessSteelCat

StainlessSteelCat

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Not stupid. Just good at acting?
All of my posts are a work of fiction. Any resemblance between real life entities, events or persons (living or dead) mentioned within them is purely coincidental.

Typozay Find auction spelling mistakes

#27 gruffydd

gruffydd

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

That post by that Yachydda man/woman is fascinating. It reads like a Hollywood movie.

It reminds me of Monty Python.

"Bl**dy English coming here and nicking our water. We'll show them. Blow up the dam! Doh!" :lol:

Well, I remember me uncle standing with a cudgel near Sennybridge to stop them flooding his valley with water - it was as much to do with eviction as anything else.

#28 gruffydd

gruffydd

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

I am currently in Wales - at The Celtic Manor, for those who know it. First time back in 9 years, the restaurant was rammed last night and it ain't cheap. I also went back to my alma mater in Swansea, boy has the housing landscape of that place changed in the last 15 or so years. Funny thing is, as TMT observes, the average Joe there has as little cash as he did 20 years ago, so where is all the money coming from?

I also had a conspiratorial thought about the Wales situation. If it is true that most of the Welsh have a huge disdain for the English (and, based on my experience as an English student in Wales, that is an understatement) and if it is true that the majority of the population rely on the public purse for income, either via benefits or public sector employment, surely they are merely milking the (English-dominated and funded) system for all they can before it goes down and/or are helping to bring down that same (English) system from within?

Yes, there's so much deep hostillity it can shock. Weird thing is many English people don't even notice what people are doing / saying about them, or perhaps it's easier to ignore it. My view is that Wales needs to grow up, and the only way we'll ever do that is by being cut free from Mother England. We need to be forced to stand on our own 2 feet. To be forced into independence. No more subsidies from Westminster thanks. Then we can make a go of it and start blaming ourselves rather than our neighbours.

Edited by gruffydd, 16 March 2011 - 03:30 PM.

#29 Joan of The Tower

Joan of The Tower

HPC Shoeboxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

Yes, there's so much deep hostillity it can shock. Weird thing is many English people don't even notice what people are doing / saying about them, or perhaps it's easier to ignore it. My view is that Wales needs to grow up, and the only way we'll ever do that is by being cut free from Mother England. We need to be forced to stand on our own 2 feet. To be forced into independence. No more subsidies from Westminster thanks. Then we can make a go of it and start blaming ourselves rather than our neighbours.

Scotland too.

Thing is, they can't survive alone. As a Scot living in England, I've no idea why the English are not chomping at the bit to be shot of them both. At present they're just cash sinks, with little or no appreciation or benefit in return. The Scottish imposition of Uni fees on England via the Scottish Labour majority was an unforgivable act of partisan politics at its worst.

I think independence would enhance both countries in the end, as you say it would force a maturing of thought. It's easy to be left wing when it's other people's money, especially those a grudge is borne against.

Look out Dave, you will soon be handing the keys back mate.

The knimbies who say "No" demand..... a sacrifice!
Arthur: Knimbies of No, we are but simple hardworking families who seek affordable housing on the scrubland beyond these woods.
Knimbies of No: No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!
Bedevere: Please stop opposing our reasonable demands!
Knimby of No: We shall say "No" to you... if you do not appease us.
Arthur: Well what is it you want?
Knimby of No: We will allow you to build your precious high density shoeboxes, so long as you do not move so much as....

(pregnant pause)

A SHRUBBERY!!!!

#30 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,280 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

Just spent an hour talking with a former banker for HSBC who gave up London, sold his house and bought one in Tenby, semi-retired, got bored and so he retrained as a gas engineer. Says most of his neighbours in Pembs are similar from London.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users