15 replies to this topic

#1 Darkman

Darkman

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

We've got a break coming up (wife and myself) , and we're heading North to Lancashire as we have done before. However, American wifey wants to see Wales, since her ancestors lived there...

North Wales fits in with our overall journey from London to Lancs, but what do we head for? I have no clue about Wales. I imagine there are some sheep, and a few hills.

Advice needed please.

#2 happy_renting

happy_renting

Mildly Irritated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:41 AM

From what I have seen, the locals pass the time by pointing and staring at horseless carriages.

Edited by happy_renting, 02 March 2011 - 02:42 AM.

#3 buckers

buckers

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • About Me:Too many for my income !!! Still quite interested in girls, even after all these years.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

I motorcycle up there most summers, since I live in the Marches (that ill-defined bit between Wales and England)

Snowdonia is properly impressive, as is Lake Vyrnwy area. Anglesey island is mixed bag (beauty and lots of caravan sites). Further south you'll find Elan Valley dams which supply Birmingham using gravity (Victorian Engineering) and further south again Llyn Brianne dam.

Further over you have ther bit where The Prisoner was filmed (can't remember the name, but it's pretty but touristy) and I personally found the peninsular beyond/above it full of nothing at all.

Had some good stays in the area around Aberdovey/Borth, some great beaches.

Like most of Wales, if the weather is poor you might as well stay in and watch Sky TV :)

People are friendly, despite what you might hear. In North Wales you might find them speaking Hobbit in a pub but they do it because it's what they speak, not because they don't like the English :)

Buckers
IO, IO, it's off to work they go.....

#4 RDW

RDW

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

Further over you have ther bit where The Prisoner was filmed (can't remember the name, but it's pretty but touristy)

Had some good stays in the area around Aberdovey/Borth, some great beaches.

Like most of Wales, if the weather is poor you might as well stay in and watch Sky TV :)

Portmerion, well worth a visit.

Also take the puffer train up Snowdon, if you don't fancy the walk.

#5 Byron

Byron

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

It's not too easy to describe Wales. Lots of English people seem to think its like a county, when its a good 200 miles from Swansea to Holyhead, the same distance as Swansea to London.
To the English, its a foreign country with its own culture, values and language.
Someone on here referred to the Welsh language as 'hobbit', this is indicative of the failure of the English to understand Wales.
As a South Walian, even I feel strange in North Wales because of the diversity of the culture and language.
Just as Southern English have difficulty in understanding 'deep Geordie', so in Wales there are differences between North and South.
Visually, the beaches, hills and mountains compare with anywhere else.
But, it rains and rains and rains.

#6 Harry Monk

Harry Monk

The Official HPC Paraffin Lamp

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

Up Mount Snowdon on the rack railway, maybe down an old slate mine, there are a few, lakes and mountains for a scenic drive, the Doctor Who museum at Llandudno, various little narrow gauge railways chuffing up into the hills.
.........................................................................................................................................................................
"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defence against a homicidal maniac." -George Orwell.

#7 buckers

buckers

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • About Me:Too many for my income !!! Still quite interested in girls, even after all these years.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

It was a joke, but I probably should have checked with the EU before publishing it on the internet.

North Wales IS different, I personally see this as a positive.

Buckers

Someone on here referred to the Welsh language as 'hobbit', this is indicative of the failure of the English to understand Wales.

IO, IO, it's off to work they go.....

#8 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,311 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

Portmerion, well worth a visit.

Take a flask and sandwiches though as it's very pretty but expensive to eat in the crowded cafes they have.
I also thought it was a bit pricey to go in.

Will sell you the guidebook for 2 & postage.
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#9 blobloblob

blobloblob

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts
  • About Me:Warning point free zone

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

Posted Image

#10 Milton

Milton

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • Location:My Cubicle. Too Small. Getting Smaller. Help. Please Help Me
  • About Me:I could put... I could put... strychnine in the guacamole. There was salt on the glass, BIG grains of salt.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

http://www.philipcop...m/anglesey.html
Under Labour the Average House Price TRIPLED in a decade, whilst the median UK wage rose by just 6.5k.
Utilities also
TRIPLED under Labour, and Council Tax DOUBLED, plus we saw rising inflation in other staples like Food.
It was all a giant Ponzi scheme.
Basically if you didnt get onto the 'housing ladder' at the appropriate time, and ended up 'priced out' as house prices rose year after year, YOU ARE F*CKED FOR LIFE.
Youve worked for over 13 years hard graft, with nothing to show for it. No Capital.

-----------------------------------------------------------
THERE ARE SOLUTIONS FOR THE FIRST TIME BUYER
-----------------------------------------------------------
Excuse me...... I believe you have my stapler.........ok, but I could set the building on fire.......

#11 tinker

tinker

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

Portmerion is very nice. You can actually stay there. Just watch out for big white balloons following you about.

Porthmadog nearby is the start of a steam railway (13 miles) that takes you to Blaenau Ffestiniog (slate mines).

#12 Darkman

Darkman

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the great tips here. Makes it a lot easier to plan ahead.

We're going to "hit" Cardiff as well now. I discovered the journey times aren't significantly different heading North or South due to the motorways/terrain.

The Dr Who exhibition is currently based in Cardiff, since that's where it's filmed. My wife is a big fan, so that looks likely.

I'm not sure what else Cardiff has, but it's a large town so surely we'll find something.

#13 Byron

Byron

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

Have a look ongoogle earth.

#14 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,412 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

Cardiff has St. Fagans museum which is an interesting look at the Welsh way of life over the past few hundred years. To understand Wales you need to go outside of Cardiff - which is a city - and visit elsewhere.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#15 Darkman

Darkman

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Cardiff has St. Fagans museum which is an interesting look at the Welsh way of life over the past few hundred years. To understand Wales you need to go outside of Cardiff - which is a city - and visit elsewhere.

Yes, I think we'll try Cardiff for a day and then head North to see some scenery etc. My wife is interested in the history of Wales (& so am I), so a museum is a good bet.

I'm just praying for good weather ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users