27 replies to this topic

#1 okaycuckoo

okaycuckoo

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,007 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:06 AM

How's this for 1.6m? Whitecliff in Poole, not far from the notorious Sandbanks.

http://www.youhome.c...poole-new-price

I passed by these houses today, on view for sale. Three in a single development, gated community.

The gate was open. None of the houses is occupied. There was a silver merc parked below one of them, and I'm not sure but through the wall of glass you could just make out the EA tossing one off in an exclusive, "resin-floored" bathroom.

The view over the bay is beautiful, but the neighbourhood is a bit meh - nice waterside park with the odd hawthorn bush, which shows recent change from farmland. But drab suburban paving and roads. Plenty of 70s style three bed houses - maybe one in three - while the rest are recent builds with glass balconies and geometric designs in expensive materials. But the expensive stuff still has to fit into the 70s size plot and it's all a bit squeezed.

No doubt these are wonderful houses, but the location is so ordinary you expect to turn the corner and walk into a chip shop. Oh wait, that's been demolished and replaced with an unsold mansion.

Edited by okaycuckoo, 20 November 2010 - 03:30 AM.

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.

#2 Number79

Number79

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:10 AM

That is not a home. It would be like living in an empty office block. An empty office block with lots of large glass windows.

#3 Protect Rural England

Protect Rural England

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

Urban housing in a rural landscape.

The design is not harmonoius with the surroundings, using the wrong harsh and brutal materials and colours.

The horizontal affect is the very opposite to the immediate surroundings. These boxes might look great in a flat or part undulating desert setting.

What were the planners thinking?

Developers are developers. Buyers are buyers. But the architects and planners? Architects I understand, they want to put "their" mark as any "artist" does on their works, but the local planners? These non jobs worths, bitter and chippy, unaccountable, unelected, poorly paid are tail that wags the dog in local politics.

Be interesting to see if they sell. Imagine a lift in each of these boxes. For old people? If so, they don't understand their market. Old people don't want the world to be watching them through large windows despite the views. And when the lift goes wrong or needs the annual 'elf and safety' inspection how much will that cost?

#4 Number79

Number79

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

Posted Image

3 of them side by side ffs.

Where are you supposed to sit out in the summer?

Who are these built for? No one with kids would want one and no one without kids would want that much space.

You would have to hide every time the neighbours drive in and out of the driveway so that they dont see right through the house and catch you naked or something.

the rear is just a large driveway with a gate aswell. No bbq's, sitting out or kids there then.

Posted Image

Edited by richyc, 20 November 2010 - 05:23 AM.

#5 Si1

Si1

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,964 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:23 AM

given that the woman probably has the greatest say in the house-buying decision - taking the above arguments as they stand - no female would ever say yes to buying one of these (ladies of HPC - correct me if I have this wrong...)

#6 Number79

Number79

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:25 AM

given that the woman probably has the greatest say in the house-buying decision - taking the above arguments as they stand - no female would ever say yes to buying one of these (ladies of HPC - correct me if I have this wrong...)

these couldnt win in the ugliest house thread, I already nailed that one :lol: , but they are top of the list so far for stoopidest development :D

#7 catsick

catsick

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:27 AM

I think it depends on what your personal tastes are, I would not live in a place like this without a lift, I lived in a modern super fancy place over 4 floors with high ceilings and going from top to bottom was like spending 10 mins on a stairmaster, not just old people but young families pregnant women etc with the kitchen on the top floor at an absolute minimum you would want a dumb waiter to bring all the shopping up ...

I was "invited" to invest in a sandbanks development about 5 years ago, thank god I declined the prices they needed to sell at to just break even were eye watering, they are having real problems shifting the units, it is painful to even think about it. There are a lot of developers who built up their businesses over 15 years of luck skill and a booming market and now what they have to show for it are these unsellable trophy projects with the accompanying debt which will wipe out the 15 fat years ... The only people laughing are the 70's semi owners who if they sold out to the developers at the right time hit the jackpot if they used the windfall to downsize and have cash in the bank ....

#8 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,879 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:09 AM

I would reckon 200k tops, if I ever had any reason to live in Dorset! :huh:

Does it have a gold toilet?
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#9 Number79

Number79

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:16 AM

Does it have a gold toilet?

ask okaycuckoo to look through the windows next time he drives past :lol:

#10 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:51 AM

Do go visit Sandbanks and drive the circular road that links to the chain ferry (now closed for repairs), tons of FOR SALE signs up on property and plots of land.

#11 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:01 AM

Posted Image

If it was one house on its own plot of land, fine, but for the price tag, no. No privacy, no private space (isn't that the point of property?). If they don't tear them down, they may sell at 400K tops.

#12 danlee74

danlee74

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

At the other end of the scale down the road in Bournemouth the title picture on this flat cracks me up ... "PRICES FROM 127,500" - this picture must have been from when the 'development' went up around May 2008 (from PB) ... now For Sale at 99,950. You'd think that the agent could spend 15 minutes taking a new picture, wouldn't you?!?! Link - http://www.rightmove...y-21009386.html

#13 200p

200p

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

Ha.
Posted Image

Budget cuts, mean EAs must walk or cycle to each property

#14 danlee74

danlee74

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

Also: http://www.rightmove...l?premiumA=true going for 88k - original asking price (PB) 110k

and

http://www.rightmove...y-16706457.html going for 80k - original asking price (PB) 95k

Some nice %age reductions and maybe this is just the start? I do love Property Bee!!

FYI I would not consider either of the properties for my living in - I do a Bournemouth search and they met my criteria. Just thought I'd share a few anecdotals from what I am seeing! Sorry for hijacking the thread!! I'll move along now ...

#15 bomberbrown

bomberbrown

HPC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:59 AM

That is not a home. It would be like living in an empty office block. An empty office block with lots of large glass windows.

I think it depends on what your personal tastes are, I would not live in a place like this without a lift, I lived in a modern super fancy place over 4 floors with high ceilings and going from top to bottom was like spending 10 mins on a stairmaster, not just old people but young families pregnant women etc with the kitchen on the top floor at an absolute minimum you would want a dumb waiter to bring all the shopping up ...

I love it!! I was born in the 60's and grew up in various blocks of flats of 60's and 70's architecture and have a real penchant for it all so I'm obviously biased in that sense. These are how I imagined the future would be when I grew up. However........ 1.6M!!! Do me a favour.

Regarding the lift, from the floor plans, these houses do have lifts.
In the 1950s Local Authorities built over 200,000 homes per year. In 2004 they built just 133.
Housing - Trends in tenure and cross tenure topics (general)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users