26 replies to this topic

#1 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,425 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:27 AM

Before I explode in a bubble of blood pressure.

If you think high rents are good surely you think high house prices are good and shouldn't be here?
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#2 goldbug9999

goldbug9999

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

If you think high rents are good surely you think high house prices are good and shouldn't be here?

Who exactly are you arguing against ?.

.. instead of supporting productive industry by extending credit to increase tangible capital investment, the banking system has extended credit mainly (about 80 percent in the United States and most English-speaking countries) to buy real estate and load it down with debt. The result is that rental income is used to pay interest to the banks rather than to pay taxes. This forces governments to tax wages, profits and sales. That increases the cost of living and doing business, on top of the interest charge.

#3 Realistbear

Realistbear

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,317 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Rents will only rise to the point where tenants can pay and the UK is about to get a whole lot poorer.

Deflation cometh and it will not leave rents untouched any more than any other item that is no longer affordable. Poverty will also bring with it rent controls and complusory purchase orders so that the government has room for the vast armies of migrants with plans to come here and settle.
CRIMBOCASTS for y/e 2013

1. The Euro will have another bad year and may hit parity with the US$ before the end of the year.
2. The Pound will not move much against the dollar (range 1.47-1.60) but is likely to regain a lot of ground verses the Euro which may not survive. US $ will be a safe bet, especially ST bonds and large caps.
3. Stocks should finish moderately higher than 2012 barring a war with Korea and Iran.
4. Gold will not be flying to the moon (again) and will bitterly disappoint (again) any who got in during the run up in 2011.
5. House prices: Flattish to up single digits overall..
6. Not much in the way of inflation again this year--those who forecast hyperinflation will be proven wrong (again--as in 2011 and 2012)
7. Could see a snap GE after the May elections which will be the worst result EVER for Dave. UKIP continue to make headway and will be number 3 before year end.

#4 Azbola

Azbola

HPC Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

You want to ban people who have a difference of opinion (no matter how strange)?

This is a forum, not a mutual apprecation society (although sometimes....)

--

Post 1: I think house prices are too high.
Post 2: Me too!
Post 3: Me also!
Post 4: I agree with everything.
Post 5: etc

#5 AteMoose

AteMoose

INTJ <- No S :(

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Ban supply and demand? Ban All Bulls? Are rents high? If anything they are low in relation to property prices. why shouldn't Bulls be on HPC?

Edited by AteMoose, 19 October 2010 - 09:45 AM.

I have bought a newish (5 years) house in November 2006. I talked the vendor down 30% off peak 2004 price am am paying less than the 2002 price. I feel prices will continue to drop down to the 2001 price but saving for 5 years hopefully means i wont be stung. The price i am paying isn't much above the price the vendor paid for the place when it was new in 2000. However some idiot is trying to flog an identical house on my road for 55k above the price i paid, one month later!?!?! The housing market is frothy, no-one ever knows what the value of a house is, the value is what someone is willing to pay, make sure you pay alot less than the asking price.

Free to collect, like ebay but you dont pay, you just have to collect

QUOTE (sledgehead)If you make a living from something, you are a professional something: it is your profession. You could bake dog turds and flog them as ornaments. If that's how you make your living, you ARE a professional dog-turd baker. Period
QUOTE (Rolling Stone 13th July 2000)The first thing you need to know about Goldman Sachs is that it's everywhere. The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

QUOTE (Soon Not a Chain Retailer @ Aug 30 2009, 01:03 AM) Society should provide trampolines not safety nets.

QUOTE (GordonBrown Jan 27 2008 (warning about the coming inflation?))if you don't get the skills you wont get a job
if you get the skills you will earn ALOT of money

#6 Laughing Gnome

Laughing Gnome

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

With you there Sarah, but rather than censorship we just have to raise our game.

Liked Stars remark about the converse side of subsidy and privilege; that is the real privilege of the rentier.

#7 Rozza

Rozza

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • About Me:Bull Trapping

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

While im a bear and think most bulls are full of bull that is no reason to ban them. If thats done this place may as well shut down

we NEED more bulls here in order to have more reasonable discussions about the subject in hand, with all likeminded views this would become a cult (if it hasnt already according to some people)

#8 Toto deVeer

Toto deVeer

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

A bit of an extreme reaction, imo.

Main issue is that of population, not housing stock. To solve the housing shortage, the simple solution is to reduce the population, rather than build more housing. Rents will fall, space per person will increase.

Population can be reduced by just tightening up immigration until immi vs emmi causes the decline.

If the UN wants to encourage mass immigration then let them provide funds for infrastructure development.
There's no earthly way of knowing...which direction we are going...
--Willy Wonka

Space is not a passive vacuum, but has properties that impose powerful constraints on any structure that inhabits it....
--Arthur Loeb

#9 Harry Monk

Harry Monk

The Official HPC Paraffin Lamp

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Main issue is that of population, not housing stock. To solve the housing shortage, the simple solution is to reduce the population, rather than build more housing. Rents will fall, space per person will increase.

Completely agree, it is far more cost-effective to address the Demand side of the equation than the Supply side. The easiest way to achieve this would be to make benefits available only to those who have paid contributions, while offering grants to those needing to return from whence they came.
.........................................................................................................................................................................
"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defence against a homicidal maniac." -George Orwell.

#10 leicestersq

leicestersq

HPC Guru

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

Sarah,

maybe you should read a bit about economics.

Price signals are the way resources get allocated. If the price of something rises, then it tells us human beings to supply more of it. High rents are clearly good for those selling housing space, and bad for those buying.

For society as a whole though, the price signal is a good thing, as it encourages people to bring in more housing to supply the market.

I guess what we have a problem with though is the lack of land where we want it, to build on. We also have government interference, which takes taxes off of us, in order that some people are moved ahead of others in the housing queue, leaving many of those paying that tax unable to compete and win the housing that they could have obtained otherwise.

#11 nohpc

nohpc

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

it's a free country and people are entitled to their opinions weither they are wrong or right.

I suggest you stop whining so much.

#12 Toto deVeer

Toto deVeer

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

Completely agree, it is far more cost-effective to address the Demand side of the equation than the Supply side. The easiest way to achieve this would be to make benefits available only to those who have paid contributions, while offering grants to those needing to return from whence they came.

I think that the gov't is already or has before paid people to return, but there have been cases of multiple returns.

Bring the British military back from Afghanistan and put them on the borders.

Then put policies in place to a) bring the population back to about 50 million (1980's size), 2) restore balance to the economy in terms of production and consumption and 3) strengthen the agricultural sector.

And get away from the Euro.
There's no earthly way of knowing...which direction we are going...
--Willy Wonka

Space is not a passive vacuum, but has properties that impose powerful constraints on any structure that inhabits it....
--Arthur Loeb

#13 nixy

nixy

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

Why not just issue a standard rebuke to posters such as:-

'Poster unable to substantiate their reasoning from first principles.'

??

But definitely no banning.

#14 SarahBell

SarahBell

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,425 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

Why not just issue a standard rebuke to posters such as:-

'Poster unable to substantiate their reasoning from first principles.'

??

But definitely no banning.

The banning idea caught people's eye though.... ;)

I dn't see how high rents are good for a real economy.

A HPI economy maybe ... but not a sensible one that hopes to have manufacturing and industry...
Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

#15 Ruffneck

Ruffneck

HPC Senior Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

i disagree it's good to have opposing views on here
“The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”
• Kenneth Watt, Ecologist , Earth Day 1970

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users